SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

HI all

Joel WROTE

There is an issue.. Apparently the RB oil pumps have a different size gear i.e NA and ET pumps have a different size gear how is the over come?

looking at the oil pumps the diffrence is in the width of the gear ,I will use the oil pump from my 25t as the gear is considerably wider and as such will pump more oil / flow.

have got oil squirters installed ,what a mission!!!, the Rb30 block has only 3-4mm metal in the casting before you enter the oil gallery (the 25t block has over 10mm).Ended up having to tap out to 3/8 bspt thread and installed the squirters into brass plugs,height of sqirters is a real issue as the crank has minimal clearance to the block,alot of mucking around I hope it is worth it.

Mayby someone can shed some light on the effectivness of the oil squirter install,I suspect that unless its a high boost+high rev drag motor the oil squirters are not really necessary (they are painfull to install).

Motor is about 1/3 reasembled ,im off to carry on.

cheers

Well basically I image it is why the RB25's and RB20's are able to make so much power before having forged pistons fitted.

For example the VL Turbo isn't able to make 260rwkw on standard pistons. The ol' VL Turbo's have many story's of melting pistons.

Originally posted by 25t

HI all

Joel WROTE

There is an issue.. Apparently the RB oil pumps have a different size gear i.e NA and ET pumps have a different size gear how is the over come?

looking at the oil pumps the diffrence is in the width of the gear ,I will use the oil pump from my 25t as the gear is considerably wider and as such will pump more oil / flow.

have got oil squirters installed ,what a mission!!!, the Rb30 block has only 3-4mm metal in the casting before you enter the oil gallery (the 25t block has over 10mm).Ended up having to tap out to 3/8 bspt thread and installed the squirters into brass plugs,height of sqirters is a real issue as the crank has minimal clearance to the block,alot of mucking around I hope it is worth it.

Mayby someone can shed some light on the effectivness of the oil squirter install,I suspect that unless its a high boost+high rev drag motor the oil squirters are not really necessary (they are painfull to install).

Motor is about 1/3 reasembled ,im off to carry on.

cheers

Yep 25t,

i was looking into the oil pumps to see if there was some size diffrences between all the RB motors and there is.

The difference is the gear width:

RB30E - 10.8mm wide

RB30ET - 13.4mm wide

RB26DETT - haven't measured, but looks like about 15mm wide or so to the eye.

Now, this wasnt measured by me. But from this we can accuratly say that running a RB26 Oil pump wouldnt hurt. Also i think the water pumps are diffrent also. (slightly) I will take a look tonight once i get the package. (RB26DETT oil & water pump)

Trev,

Would be intresting if someone can post some more info about these oil squirters?

How much do they cost? were do you buy them from? Pics of em? were to install them?

cheers

Trev

Hi

got mine out of rb25det, they are supposed to be the same as the sr20 and rb20, so they should be available form Auto wreckers etc.

Nissan NZ dont list them as a part (bizar)

cheers

This may be a little off topic but anywho...

To do this conversion do you need to have a turbo rb30 block or can u use the NA RB30 Block?

I've got a VL Calais sitting @ home and was thinkin bout using the block to do the conversion :D

Doh...

I've got a series 1 calais. Do u think i would be better just getting a turbo block or a series 2 block?

On another note...Where you saying that the standard rb30 rods and pistons and suitable for this conversion? I know they are probably not recommended but what sorta power do u think they could withstand?

Cheers

The crank & rods are all the same in the NA and turbo motors.

Gotta luv nissan :)

Have a look on previous pages it states how much power/torque the standard rods can handle.

Don't get a turbo block.. Why? Its the same as a NA block with lower comp pistons.

hi

the series 1 na blocks are stronger/thicker castings,the only fitting not in the series 1 casting is the turbo water return line,which isnt a really big problem,

be aware that if you intend fitting the neo head or the vvt head then You will need to feed the oil from somewher else

A quick question, how much machine has to be done to make the rb20 head fit a rb30 block as I want the standard look with less turbo lag, stacks of torque and around 200kw at the treads.

I already have a spare rb20 det thats why i'm asking and I can get the machining for free.

Hi Rowdyr32, RB20 head won't fit RB30 block, bore size is different (78 mm versus 86 mm). RB25 and RB26 are 86 mm like RB30 so you can use a RB25DE or RB25DET or RB26DETT head on RB30 block.

Doing an RB30/RB25 hybrid for 200 rwkw would be a waste of time and money. You can easily get 200 rwkw out of an RB20DET and still have a broad power band, you just have to tune it right and select the right turbo and support systems. Check the posts, there is plenty of info on how to do it.

Hope that helps

if some one wanted a car to run mid 11's in there r33 gtst

would he have to change the block to a rb30??

or could he keep the original block and mybe storke it out to a 2.7L or somthing

or even 2.6 like the rb26det?