SAU Community

Seems Like I Have Low Power On My R33

tek_01

hey fellas i might just be paranoid but i feel my skyline is not that quick at all, like i do not get any wheelspin on 1st if i take off normally than flatten it,. unless i hook a corner etc or rev dump it.

and cant break traction shifting into 2nd either unless i rev it with clutch in on gear change and let go

what i have a series 1 r33 gtst with turbo back exhaust, 10psi boost, FCD,gtr fuel pump,apexi pod in UAS box, standard side mount/computer/turbo/suspension, 225 nankangs on r34gtt rims

i have put it on the dyno before and got 175kw on a dyno dynamics dyno and about 153 on a mainline dyno

i have changed the spark plugs to new platinums and my coils are in good nick. no missing.... also changed fuel filter oil filter and oil 4000ks ago.

so what im asking is, does this sound right ? or should i be braking traction as i described before???

(i know its not really a good comparison by saying 'break traction' but yeah it gives you a rough idea)

was going to take it to wsid tonight but looked like rain so maybe next week

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the first person to NOT want traction :D

I got 18 x 9 with Nankang 265 and i got no traction when i hit second... could also be due to my camber...

Your tyres may be running low in pressure causing them to grip more... make sure the pressure is high enough 35 - 38psi

175 as ryanrb25 says is too low. You won't break traction just with power alone [forget clutch dumps, water, gravel etc] under 200.

At 220-230 you will break in 1st and 2nd, at 250-270 you will break in 3rd, and thats with real tyres 255-275's, not those pizza cutters you have on now......lol

It's all about the shape of the torque curve, as much as the area under it.

The 2wd ECR chassis/drivetrain was more or less intended by Nissan engineers to cover ground/distance quickly and easily for an "average" driver. Lurid smoky corner exits might be spectacular but aren't the fastest...

like i do not get any wheelspin on 1st if i take off normally than flatten it.

and cant break traction shifting into 2nd either unless i rev it with clutch in on gear change and let go

You should at least get a little wheelspin or chirp into 2nd. It depends how harsh you change gears. But taking off normally in 1st and then flattening it? No you won't get wheelspin, unless its wet. Need more power to do that.

If you want even less traction, get some nexen n2000's like i have. Man I hate them!

Yeah it does seem strange, 175kw on 225 nankangs should be plenty to break traction in first.. On nankangs around 100kws should be enough :ninja:

Seriously though atm i'm running similar Kw's to you, with these mild mods...pfc, r34 smic, splitfires, 3" turbo back/split dump, k&n panel filter, bleed valve, exceedy hd clutch with a very conservative tune around the 180kw @ 10psi. I do however have some very nice sticky 265 firestones on the rear as opposed to your Nankangs aKa "the tyre of death" Now with my r33 s1 If I hit the sweet spot shifting to second it will chirp also taking off normally if I roll on the gas as boost hits it will break traction @ maybe 30 kph...dump the clutch you'll sit and spin.

As said by someone above the chassis and suspension dynamics are fairly good even in stock form they do hook up very well and thats what it's all about. If you want to loose traction easier you can either stiffen the ass end up or increase your kw..Having said all of that, with similar power maybe you car is doing what it should and mines too firm in the rear and not hooking up like it should. Mmmmmmmmmm

Heres a thought...you dont have a boot install subs ect (extra weight over the diff)? Although I'm not pushing big kw's my car is a lot lighter than most r33's around with no body kit, big sound system or Hicas to weigh it down and some super light enkies all helping with the power-weight ratio.

So there's a few ideas but as I said I don't think it's a lack of power.

Edited by madbung

I got Maxxis MA-V1 with 255 on the rear, and at 207rwKw and a fat midrange, i get brakeout in first and second on gearchanges, slight corner in secon put the foot down, and sidways is the order of the day.

Midrange is much more important.

175 as ryanrb25 says is too low. You won't break traction just with power alone [forget clutch dumps, water, gravel etc] under 200.

At 220-230 you will break in 1st and 2nd, at 250-270 you will break in 3rd, and thats with real tyres 255-275's, not those pazza cutters you have on now......lol

Depends on how well setup the car is...

270rwkw with decent tyres, a good diff and correct alignment a set of decent 245+'s should hold on 'only just' in second gear. Try on a slight corner and there's no chance.

It also depends on the power delivery, if its a nothing then everything style turbo then yes traction is going to be an issue.

ok so it looks like i am being paranoid...

i was going to see how quick i go down the quarter mile just as sort of reassurance (if i was getting over 15sec id suspect something is wrong)

oh well just gotta keep modifying to make it quicker

thanks for all the info fellas

i got rb25det s1 in my cefiro and i cant get anywhere im first soon as boost comes on they spin n revs fly almost on rev limit in blink of an eye, hard shift in 2nd will spin for bout 5-10 seconds then grip by then you gotta shift anyways and chirp in 3rd with a good shift

mods:

exhaust

pod

front mount

bigger fuel pump

stock boost

coilovers

it wont chirp in 3rd with more boost for some reason kinda feels like it just dies down... lately tho it feels heavier on the road

i also cant launch my car it will either bog down or spin

forgot to add i run falken ziex 235 on rear

Edited by 2gceffy

Its the cars setup. Look at the diff, bushes, camber and tyre quality and how worn the tyres are.. Tyres get hell slippery as they approach 3/4 worn.

There's many out there with double the power some of you blokes are making yet have no issues hooking up through second.

Im running fulda tyres from germany 265 r18s I have 362rwkw they spin in 1st & 2nd & chirp in 3rd so id say it all depends on tyres & how much power you have these fulda im running on rear are a great tyre pretty god dam sticky.

296rwkw with 265's can spin lots in second but if i drive it right i can get lots of power down without wheelspin and definatly does not spin third unless im on a pretty uneven road which you wouldnt be hooning on unless you have written your suicide note with this kinda power