SAU Community

How Do You Change The Brake Pads?

IMPORTD

Ok so I need to change the brake pads.

Mitch says they are different to his so we are asking here on what to do...

Anyone done a change?

either the pads slide out when u remove the circlips holding them in or if they are the old style ones u need to unbolt the calipers (2 bolts, 17mm i think from memory) and pull caliper off and pull pads out and get a G-Clamp to press the piston back in enough for the thickness of the new pads so they can slip over the rotor, then install new pads :P

pretty easy task, should take about an hour for first timers :)

Edited by CruiseLiner

do you have normal brakes, gtr brakes or what?

98% of nissan brakes have two pins you poke out,Make sure that you dont leave the silver clip in the middle. you need that

and the pads come out of the top. then push the piston back into the caliper and drop your new pads in

should take all of 10 minutes a side even jacking and taking wheel off

Uber easy!!!

let us know if you have a problem though!

Edited by yokotas13

Ok so I need to change the brake pads.

Mitch says they are different to his so we are asking here on what to do...

Anyone done a change?

You should only have to remove one of the bolts holding the caliper in, and it's best and easiest to remove the bottom one. You might want to slightly loosen the top bolt so you can "swing" the caliper up. Then, swing the caliper up and "over" the disk, pull the old pads, then compress the pistons back into the caliper (using a G-clamp and one of the old brake pads). After that, replace the old pads with the new ones - and don't forget the backing plates, that should stop your brakes from squealing. Once you've done that, lower the caliper back down over the new pads, and replace and tighten the bolt(s)...

Done!

(BTW, I just nutted this out from memory, so it's not a comprehensive DIY, but it's not a hard job either. There are quite a few cars where the process goes like this, and the technique is pretty much the same.)

put some r33 gtst or r32 gtr calipers and rotors on it, its definately needed if u do any spirited driving as the stock brakes are horrible and with automatic u cant use the gears to slow u down either :happy:

Stupid question time - are they a bolt on fit?

If so, it will be my next mod!!

yes they are :happy: i think only issue is the rotor dust shield needs a touch trimed off it to clear the bigger calipers. u need the r33 calipers and the r33 rotors to suit (297mm i think from memory). r32 gtr also fit as do the 33 brembos and 34 ones.

gotta love nissan and the number of interchangable parts between models :happy:

ok so can't find a place that stock the brake pads SK has recommended...

1398BP & 1144XL :happy:

Now what? :happy:

bendix advance db 1398 will fit on the front of s1 stagea [still a chance some came with diff calipers] best to drop 1 out and trace it or if your cashed up do what the guys say and swap the lot. just changed my pads and they still dont stop.