SAU Community

Hi, new member here!

G'day folks! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Danial and I'm 18 years old. I happen to own two finely-crafted automobiles, a brand-new Blue By You Lancer Evolution 8 and a '92 Nissan Stanza XE (aka the Pintara or Bluebird). I've been cruising these forums for quite a while, since the Nissan Skyline GTR is my favorite car and a dream to own for 5 years. I would perhaps even give up my LanEvo to get one of these amazing vehicles. Living in the US, we don't have any Skylines here :) and when I see one, I cream my pants seeing one of those(although this would of course be different in AUS). I happen to have a few questions regarding the Skyline GTR's and hopefully will be answered in a given amount of time:

1) How do Skyline GTR's fare against the LanEvo's? I am aware that the Skyline GTR weighs a lot more than a LanEvo, but in both straights and twisties, how would they fare against, say, a modified LanEvo?

2) Are the transmissions bulletproof or do they have issues with weak synchros and such? I heard that the GTR transmissions have weak synchros, with 3rd gear being the weakest, but not 100% sure if it's true though.

3) Do Skyline GTR's turn heads even in AUS, despite having an abundance of GTR's down under?

4) How much drivetrain loss is there in a Skyline GTR? Is it lower than other 4wd cars?

5) Is there any Skyline GTR that can run 10's in the 0-400m and still be an amazing track car at the same time?

I hope these questions would be answered in a certain amount of time and I look forward to seeing your replies soon.

Cheers

RalliArtRacer

hehe lan evo 8... wierd name to call an Evo VII.

well stock "evo8" is a little less than a stock Evo7... 276hp to 271hp hehe... that's running at 19-16.5psi. Active Center Differential and Active Yaw Control are also missing on the Evo8, which means half the fun of twisties is gone. Add to this the drop from the Evo7's 6speed gearbox to a 5speed gearbox and you've got hmm lets see... you've got the lancer equivalent of a GTS4 turbo with a bit more grunt.

I've been in a tricked up Evo7 and i feared for my life around the corners. I've been in a drag-style R32 GTR and I feared for my life in a straight line. Its hard to pick really. Evo's are built for Rally and GTR's are built for Grand Touring :) and they're both champs of their respective fields, you don't see many ppl attempting Rally's in GTR's (cept for a couple of ppl from tassie :D) and u don't see many ppl try to go the JGTC in a Evo...

on this site most of the figures you'll see is in kW. Most of the guys here in R33 GTSt's will be puttin out about 180rwkw, that's with about 5grand of mods (that's about 2.5k US$) which equates to about 241hp. GTR's are restricted from the factory to about 206kW, as are Evo7's and WRX STi's (I think, sum1 correct me) which is about 276.2506hp :)

So bottom line, if you took on a stock GTR in a straight line, you'd munch em coz you've got a lighter car.

Mod em with similar mods and it'd much u in a straight line coz its got more capacity.

Around the bends... dunno... tuff one, think the Evo'd win.

As for drool factor down here... skylines are skylines... they're a bit more prestigious (altho sumtimes my belief is questioned) that lancers etc. Lancers down here are the equivalent of civics in the US, everyone has one, and all of em have rice on em. So when you see an actual Evo, first thing you do is to check if its a fake, then you think... pwoaaah.

GTR's are getting more and more common here, but most ppl here have GTSt's (single turbo model)... or you can have a tricked up 180 (240sx to u), lose ya license and end up with a GTS (non turbo) like me... :mad:

The other day I was in the presence of a kakimoto widebody R33... and i was like pwoaaah... well picture this... take a R33 GTR and then add 20cm to either side... hehe das it.

Anyways, welcome and enjoy ya stay.

i agree ... i always check for fake evos ... but when u spot the real thing ... u're like .. hmm nice car ... lets stop at the traffic lights ... the rest of the questions... i don't know .. go ask a guy with the name .. munro .. he has an evo7 and a few gtrs ... i'm sure he can give a good comparison :)

oh shit dat was a long reply...

1) Refer to previous post

2) I think the R33 GTR's were the only ones effected, and think its weeded out int he R34 but not sure about R32

3) Refer to previous post

4) Think its about 20%. Altho the 100%RWD skylines have less than that due tot he nature of the drivetrain

5) Well if you really want to it can be done, mind you No2 is sumfin most guys here dun believe in so the cars here go under 10 without em. As for em being a track car... its like comparing oranges to apples

Raliart: Dyno figures down here are not as inflated as yours. We have Dyno Dynamics dynos, whilst u use Dynojet brand, which supposedly read about 15% higher that DD.

So really 1 RWKW = 1.34 WHP + 15%

So dont think our cars dont make power. Its just u guys get higher readings (Ie Mk4 supra guys make 500whp on stock turbos)

Originally posted by funkymonkey

Oh yeah and we all hate Fast n the Furious (well most of us... how could they do that to a perfectly nice R34... or an R33 in part 1) :)

I couldn't agree with you more on that. That movie pretty much gave all the best-performing Japanese cars a bad name. Now that they have the Evo7 in the movie as the main star, which is bland and ugly IMO, I'm afraid its going to give my car a bad name as a rice-burner, as opposed to having a reputation for being a true performing automobile. That Skyline GTR, Jesus Christ, were they on crack? 3 NOS bottles and underglow lights? Who in their right minds put that on a Skyline GTR?!?!?! How can anyone ruin those cars? That's blasphemy, I say! BLASPHEMY!!!!

At least the Skyline GTR wasn't pink with a pink interior like the S2000 :):D:)

The Evo8 is more like the Evo6, IMO. The absence of ACD and AYC is a godsend for me. At least I won't have spend more money maintaining this beast :)

AYC sucks and its prone to breaking after 36,000 miles, so we got a rear LSD instead. The 6spd is brand-new and hasn't been tested for durability in conjunction with the North American drivers, since we tend to abuse our cars more than the rest of the world. The 5spd we have is bulletproof and very strong, much like the previous Evo's have been. I'm 100% satisfied with my vehicle, despite the STi's in the US having a 2.5L inline 4 pumping out 300hp, 300lb ft of torque, as well as DCCD. The Evo8 in the states is already underrated, since it makes 240hp at the wheels from a Dynojet, which would equate to about 300hp or so at the crank. I mean, there's no way in hell a 1480kg vehicle can run a low 13 sec time in the 0-400m strip, right?

About the Skyline GTR drivetrain loss, I thought it was around 15%-18% or so? I know they have less drivetrain loss than other AWD/4WD vehicles out there.