SAU Community

Rb30det S13 Silvia - Height Clearance Issues?

YSR020

Hi all!

I'll keep this as short as I can...I am looking to build an RB30DET (RB30 bottom end, R32 RB25 NA head) S13 Silvia and am after some clarify on issues I expect to face.

I have done a search on here and NS.com and downloaded the RB30DET guide which has been of great help but I still have a couple of other concerns....so here goes;

- The RB30DET guide says to use an RB20DET plenum (top half) onto the RB25DE manifold (bottom half) and use RB20DET injectors. Sounds ideal, but will the factory crossover inlet manifold clear my bonnet?

- I am anticipating I will have major clearance issues (that RB30ET 180SX needed clearance), is it true a Cefiro crossmember sits the engine lower than the (very similar) R32 crossmember? If so, will it be enough to clear the bonnet? (I think the RB30DET is about 40mm taller than an RB25DET which clears no issues)

- Alternatively should I use a custom forward facing plenum to allow clearance and if so, which Greddy plenum will fit the RB25DE head?

- What PFC would be most suitable, RB20DET or RB25DET?

I really do not want to mess around with altering cross members and want to make it a true bolt on affair - hence my option of going Greddy plenum over modding a cross member.

Thanks for taking the time to have a read, anyone who can shed some reliable light on any of the above topics, it would be much appreciated... :)

Cheers,

Chris

the easiest/best way to do this is to either purchase (or fabricate) custom RB mounts to bolt on your S13 subframe. The cefiro holds the motor slightly lower, but it is still too far forwards. The GTS-T holds the motor too high and too far forwards.

the only downside is that you will have to either use SR20 oil filters, or relocate to fit a big one.

chances of running a rb30det using a over the top plenum isnt goin to happen.. i have a rb26 in mine with modified rb20 mounts and i only just have about 5mm of clearance.. and mine sits as low as i could get it to go

Edited by rb26s13

Hi there! I'm looking at doing this exact thing to my S13 (Currently fitted with a dieing RB20DE) so post some pictures and what you did so I can do the same!

Anyway~ As for the Plenum. There are a few that fit (Make sure you get the right one, the R32 and R33 S2 heads are a little different) But the DE and DET are the same, just a case of looking around to find on.

The RB30DET is not a direct fit the the S13 subframe, so you will either have to fabricate yourself, or you can buy them from some website.. I dont remember the address.

The tail shaft will also have to be modified (Unless you use and RB20DET gearbox) The RB25 gearbox is slightly longer, and has a different yoke. Don't forget to upgrade the brakes!! R32 GTST (5 stud) bolt straight on the front, the calipers require a tad bit of fideling. Thole rear craddle can be taken out, and replaced with an R32 GTST one.

Keep me updated, I would really like to know how this goes. [email protected]

For the PFC, You get the corresponding one. So if you have an R32 RB25 head, you will use the R32 RB25 wiring loom and PFC. If you have an R33 RB25, you will use the R33 RB25 wiring loom and PFC, etc.

So regardless of the crossmember I use I will still need to modify the mounts? Even if I use a cefiro crossmember and forward facing plenum? :P

If so, does anyone know where I can buy these mounts or what needs to be done to them to make it clear? I don't want to fabricate too much, but it seems I may have to...

I've done a couple conversions before but all 13BT rotary stuff...I know all the Nissan gear is real friendly to these sort of mods so anyone that has done something similar would be great?

Rancher, AFAIK Apexi don't do PFC for RB25DE etc, even the RB25DET model is now discontinued I noticed? I was actually thinking of adapting an RB26 PFC, it's be done before and there is a how-to on SAU somewhere I am sure...that will probably be the best option I think at this stage. I don't want another daily driven Microtech...

And yes, it will be 5 stud...!

No there wont be for the RB25DE, but the DE and DET are the same except for one thing I can remember. Look around on NS.com, SAU.com, and Boostcrusing.com. Someone will be selling a PFC for the RB25DET R32.

If you get an after market plenum, yes, you will still need to fabricate mounts. But you will have bonet clerance. You wont need to sit the motor lower, or use a different sub frame. But the RB30 (Same as the RB25 mounts) wont line up with your CA18 or SR20 mounts.

The CA18 mounts are the same as the RB20 ones. I'm not to sure about the SR20 ones though. Might be a little harder if you have an SR20 fitted. But if you have the CA18 mounts, just rip em out and get a set of RB25 mounts. Only a tad bit of modifiying is needed cause one of the holes dont line up properly (Just drill it)

If you cant find an R32 RB25 PFC, why dont you use the RB26 head? Stronger valve springs so you dont have to replace them (The RB25 valve floats at high revs, big boost) You can use the RB26 PFC without having to modify anything. And it already comes with the really nice GTR forward facing plenum and if your lucky, The GTR injecters (forgot how big) so you dont even need to upgrade those!

Probably worth it in the long run (Probably about the same price as an RB25 head with heavier valve springs, new plenum, and new injectors) to just get an RB26 head. Just my opinion though.

Edited by Rancher

Thanks again Rancher...looks as tho you've done some homework too...!

My initial thoughts was to go RB26/30 on it, but to be honest the cost involved in getting the head and so forth blows it out a fair bit.

I really would like to avoid the fabrication side of things as much as I can...I want to do it all at home and if it's all OEM parts then the engineer will love me too...! That said, given what everyone has mentioned (here and beyond), I think a complete RB26 would be the best bet at this stage. If I have to start fabricating bits I'd probably go a 2JZ... :D

Hi all!

I'll keep this as short as I can...I am looking to build an RB30DET (RB30 bottom end, R32 RB25 NA head) S13 Silvia and am after some clarify on issues I expect to face.

I have done a search on here and NS.com and downloaded the RB30DET guide which has been of great help but I still have a couple of other concerns....so here goes;

- The RB30DET guide says to use an RB20DET plenum (top half) onto the RB25DE manifold (bottom half) and use RB20DET injectors. Sounds ideal, but will the factory crossover inlet manifold clear my bonnet?

- I am anticipating I will have major clearance issues (that RB30ET 180SX needed clearance), is it true a Cefiro crossmember sits the engine lower than the (very similar) R32 crossmember? If so, will it be enough to clear the bonnet? (I think the RB30DET is about 40mm taller than an RB25DET which clears no issues)

- Alternatively should I use a custom forward facing plenum to allow clearance and if so, which Greddy plenum will fit the RB25DE head?

- What PFC would be most suitable, RB20DET or RB25DET?

I really do not want to mess around with altering cross members and want to make it a true bolt on affair - hence my option of going Greddy plenum over modding a cross member.

Thanks for taking the time to have a read, anyone who can shed some reliable light on any of the above topics, it would be much appreciated... :D

Cheers,

Chris

use a foward facing plemium as its easier for the piping and clearence issues

use the rb20/or ceffie x member and use rb20 engine mounts but as the rb30 block is about 1in taller u will need to mod the engine mounts to clear the bonnet ive heard ppl using rb20 engine mount brackets and (series 4 rx7 engine mount rubbers) to get more clearence

i do these conversions all the time (havent done rb30/25 yet) but as rb26s13 said the rb26 clears the bonnet by like 10-15mm

heres a pic of how much under bonnet clearance u get with a rb26 under the s13

post-20188-1172144417.jpg

use a foward facing plemium as its easier for the piping and clearence issues

use the rb20/or ceffie x member and use rb20 engine mounts but as the rb30 block is about 1in taller u will need to mod the engine mounts to clear the bonnet ive heard ppl using rb20 engine mount brackets and (series 4 rx7 engine mount rubbers) to get more clearence

i do these conversions all the time (havent done rb30/25 yet) but as rb26s13 said the rb26 clears the bonnet by like 10-15mm

heres a pic of how much under bonnet clearance u get with a rb26 under the s13

post-20188-1172144417.jpg

just wondering how much taller is the RB25/30 combo compared to a RB25 or 26 because i know mckinney motorsports in the USA has a kit with mounts and a custom 1 piece driveshaft to allow for a direct drop and no need for a non S13 crossmember.

just wondering how much taller is the RB25/30 combo compared to a RB25 or 26 because i know mckinney motorsports in the USA has a kit with mounts and a custom 1 piece driveshaft to allow for a direct drop and no need for a non S13 crossmember.

38mm taller in the block

If I were to do it again apart from the non-stock look the GTR head is the only way I would go.

By the time you add the plenum, nicer cams etc etc your miles ahead.

I've seen GTR heads with plenum/tb's go for as low as 1200. When I did my conversion the gtr complete head/plenum etc were up over $2500-$3000

Thanks everyone for your responses...much appreciated!

Does anyone here know if a 2JZ is smaller/larger than an RB30DET in any dimension?

That 2JZ 180SX in Zoom 'looks' like it has more clearance than an equivalent Nissan engine - subject to a million variables obviously.

Thanks for the response/pic Boot It, any other tips you can share on this conversion? A complete RB26 is getting on a bit in age/kms now and I like the idea of fitting all new parts where possible. An RB26/30 would be ideal...do you think the ceffie crossmember/RB20 mounts/S4 rubbers would provide sufficiant clearance...or not at all? It will be 38mm taller than RB26 as posted above.

Thanks everyone for your responses...much appreciated!

Does anyone here know if a 2JZ is smaller/larger than an RB30DET in any dimension?

That 2JZ 180SX in Zoom 'looks' like it has more clearance than an equivalent Nissan engine - subject to a million variables obviously.

Thanks for the response/pic Boot It, any other tips you can share on this conversion? A complete RB26 is getting on a bit in age/kms now and I like the idea of fitting all new parts where possible. An RB26/30 would be ideal...do you think the ceffie crossmember/RB20 mounts/S4 rubbers would provide sufficiant clearance...or not at all? It will be 38mm taller than RB26 as posted above.

that rb26 in the pic was from a 1997 r33 with only 40,000km on the clock

but this is what the end result looked like

post-20188-1172229277.jpg

post-20188-1172229423.jpg

with a 1j u get custom engine mounts made up and it will sit on the s13 crossmember and ca/sr engine mount rubbers

heres 1 im doin at the moment

post-20188-1172228925.jpg

i think u have to change the front part of the sump (depending what model the engine) came from

Thanks again for the responses guys...you've all been of fantastic help... :(

easy r32 crossmember

r32 gts engine mounts

whitelien sway bar

bolt the sucker in

i havent put the gtr head on yet but i will in the near future!

http://www.clutchfcukers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102

Thanks for the info and link fatz...I went through it all and it looks like an ultra fun project you have there...how does it drive with the huffer on it now? You're ovbiously using all budget bits and pieces...any good/bad news to report? So many people bag them...be good to see how they are in the real world...

Also where from and how much was that scoop...looks subtle actually...!

that rb26 in the pic was from a 1997 r33 with only 40,000km on the clock

but this is what the end result looked like

post-20188-1172229277.jpg

post-20188-1172229423.jpg

with a 1j u get custom engine mounts made up and it will sit on the s13 crossmember and ca/sr engine mount rubbers

heres 1 im doin at the moment

post-20188-1172228925.jpg

i think u have to change the front part of the sump (depending what model the engine) came from

Sorry for the 20 questions Boot It...may I ask where and how much was that RB26? PM if you like mate...the conversion looks sensational...the piping alone is arousing... :)

Also, how does the 1JZ fare compared to a Nissan conversion mate? Would a 2JZ be any different? I would 'prefer' a Nissan motor...but the Toyota motors are cheaper and bulletproof as we all know...and a close friend owns a Toyota import wrecker... :happy:

PS: How much more clearance does the 1JZ look to have compared to the RB26...damn!!! :happy:

Edited by 4doorHCR32

Thanks again for the responses guys...you've all been of fantastic help... :D

Thanks for the info and link fatz...I went through it all and it looks like an ultra fun project you have there...how does it drive with the huffer on it now? You're ovbiously using all budget bits and pieces...any good/bad news to report? So many people bag them...be good to see how they are in the real world...

Also where from and how much was that scoop...looks subtle actually...!

Sorry for the 20 questions Boot It...may I ask where and how much was that RB26? PM if you like mate...the conversion looks sensational...the piping alone is arousing... :(

Also, how does the 1JZ fare compared to a Nissan conversion mate? Would a 2JZ be any different? I would 'prefer' a Nissan motor...but the Toyota motors are cheaper and bulletproof as we all know...and a close friend owns a Toyota import wrecker... :laugh:

PS: How much more clearance does the 1JZ look to have compared to the RB26...damn!!! :laugh:

u have a pm :(

give the bonnet some love with a sledge hammer...

But seriously though, if you are going to do it, do it right.

As for 2JZ S13's, IIRC there is one that i know of, possibly another, but that's in a 180sx (up in QLD i believe, or was it WA?)

give the bonnet some love with a sledge hammer...

But seriously though, if you are going to do it, do it right.

As for 2JZ S13's, IIRC there is one that i know of, possibly another, but that's in a 180sx (up in QLD i believe, or was it WA?)

Thanks Jago - I aim to do it properly...I will need to...it will be my 'daily' driver... :huh:

I know there are a few 1JZ S13s...but I need to know how different a 2JZ is in there fitting wise... :wacko:

Edited by 4doorHCR32