SAU Community

All the Jap cars are limited to 180 km/h out of the box, just like Euros are limited to 250 km/h. It's just a govt regulation.

I've seen $3 on my speedo but I would imagine that's only about 270-280 km/h.

I'd imagine my car would break the $3 barrier easily if there was enough straight road somewhere with enough braking space.

There was a white R33GTR (built by RacePace Motorsport) which cracked 310ish I think in a Motor Magazine a few years back at Avalon before Jetstar came in and ruined it for everyone.

lol i'm no expert at cars, but i want to be.

why would they cap the speed?

how does one go taking the speed limiter off? does it affect warranty? :ninja:

watch "tokyo drift" you will see why they limited the speed :laugh:

gts-ts can hit around 230 or so without the limiter on....so gtrs (i would assume) will do heaps more....

from what i know though, most cars dont hit those speeds even on the track (unless you were driving some monster which hits 0-200 in like 10 seconds) - again i could be wrong about this, but this is what i heard....

was talking to wayne at gtauto about this - he said it was not a hard thing to do, its just one wire that needs to be taken care of or something......but unless the car is going to be used for trackwork - probably no need to cut the limiter....

If its a GTR

IMGP2332.JPG

Cut the Green and Yellow Wire...I never had any adverse effects.

Thanks for that

Just tried it out last night and found out it was limited (track ofcourse)

Wil have to do that. thanx for the advise

from what i know though, most cars dont hit those speeds even on the track (unless you were driving some monster which hits 0-200 in like 10 seconds) - again i could be wrong about this, but this is what i heard....

We do much more than 230 on the track. PI Sees well over 250 down the straight... Even at Calder Jack (JAGR33) was breaking 250 down the straight.

Don't forget you're not starting from a stand still. You're coming onto the straight at around 180 give or take at PI....

i did 280 in a vlt on the stuart highway. You naysayers can not whinge about me driving illegally, when there was No speed limit on this road at the time :P

it was the best thing about the NT !!

oh yea did 260 on the back of a bike too down stuart. but damn i dont recommend doing that! now that was scarey !

Edited by silverbulletR33

• 1 month later...

Wheels magazine included an R32 GTR (Aus spec) in their 1991 or 1992 top speed shoot out at Holden's Lang Lang speed bowl. They measured the REAL speed with an (at the time) state of the art Leitz Correvit data aquisition system. This got around the wanky wank "I did 780klm/h in a Hilman Hunter" claims from idiots who don't know about speedo inaccuracy.

I haven't re-read this edition for ages, but I think the Porsche 928 GTS won @ 274klm/h. Nissan Australia's claim for the GTR was 245klm/h..... and guess what it did???? Yep, 245klm/h.

I'd imagine the one Nissan sent to the Nurburgring would be a 'Healthy' example :O

The fact that it somehow managed to forget that it was speed limited to 180km/hr means that its tune isn't something you could have gotten off a show-room floor. So who else knows what was added to it aside from a Speed Cut Defenser?

The infamous "first production car to break the 8min barrier on the Nurburgring" GT-R was running semi slicks and more boost to go with its speed limiter removal.

That said, some R34 GT-Rs got officially exported to the UK and their speed limiters were set at 250km/hr.....which they easily reached. Those things also made "only 206kW".