SAU Community

Manual Vs Automatic Turbo Skylines?

Hi Guys,

Was just wondering which would you think is faster? Let me firstly put this in context - it's 400 metres down a straight line - quater mile...

Two Skyline with exactly the same mods, same car etc line up for a sprint down the track... would an AUTO or a MANUAL win?

This is what I have heard... MANUAL'S down the stretch would win... but AUTO'S launch better and the hold boost better ... is this correct?

I actually own an AUTO - I chose this as a preference.... I used to drive a manual twin turbo ZX300 ... but wanted the cruisieness of an auto for long trips and also I like how the AUTO'S hold boost and spool up the turbo quicker... any thoughts?

Regards,

if u only care about 1/4 mile, auto is the way to go. Once u start pushing into low 13's high 12's, manual becomes a big disadvantage

Yeah, I must agree.... down a straight line...Auto's shift perfectly.... so your answer is spot on.... :)

Guys ive driven both completely stock

the auto is much slower

especially off initial take-off

its probably about 1 second slower 0-100

(per my mechanic)

and unless you got a transbrake and a big stally

and a beefed up box

and you run sub tens

manual is alot quicker down the quarter

• 2 weeks later...
Guys ive driven both completely stock

the auto is much slower

especially off initial take-off

its probably about 1 second slower 0-100

(per my mechanic)

and unless you got a transbrake and a big stally

and a beefed up box

and you run sub tens

manual is alot quicker down the quarter

however....

to run a 10 or low 11 second pass you will need above 300 kws at the wheels

for a manual this will include some moster clutch that grips like a muther and will be very hard to launch a rear wheel drive without bogging down, or smoking the rears.

on my wifes car i went the auto road because its very easy for my wife to drive to target or coles in

yet i can get in in it and do a low 11. Manuals with big clutches are a pig if its your family or daily driver.

im running the full built race trans from MV Automatics with all new internals bigger bands etc 3000 rpm high stall,

stage 2 shift kit with a large trans cooler and its a pleasure to drive.

I own a r32 gts t auto, recently iv been test driving allot of manuals gts t's because i want to buy one and i must say iv been dissapointed. The wifes auto feels much quicker than any r32 manual iv driven so far..Maybe all the ones iv driven have been scewed tho..

When we gtech'd it and some of our mates cars it ran a 14.78.(on the gtech) cant remember the exact mph but i think it was 95..if you stall them up with decent rubber they go really hard i rekn. Without stallining it up its slow. Witha auto its not hard to get consistant good times. With manual theres allot of variables.