SAU Community

Does This Power Reading Sound Right?

hi,

im a little concerned about the power my s1 r33 skyline is making simply due to the fact ive dished out a fair bit of $$$$ only to make power noticeablity higher than someone with simple POD zorst and boost mods.

basically i got the following mods:

* 3" Xforce exhaust with high-flow cat

* JustJap FMIC

* Bosch 023 internal fuel pump (biggest piece of sh*t im gonna chuck it out)

* Bleed value (i know i should do it properly and buy an electronic boost controller)

* Splitfire coils (cost a pretty penny too)

* HKS fuel defender (does nothing for mods just stops my engine from sh*tting itself)

* NGK Iridium sparks (nothing but the best)

* APEXI POD

* Go Fast Bits BOV

car pulled 174rwkw on ~10-12psi, which i think is pretty lame for the mods and money spent. dont get me wrong the car pulls like crazy and is super smooth and reliable but reading the "Dyno Results Page" im a little concerned because there are alot of you guys making more power with half the mods.

any ideas??? i really do not want to get a new ecu or larger turbo but i just thought with the mods that i have i could be pushing the 200 mark. plus i dont like lag.

i think my next step is to run it down the 1/4, cause in the end the only numbers that matter are those.

cheers.

Edited by NicsR33

I think you need a tune. My car used to run really well, but chewed A LOT of fuel. Gave it a tune and life was much better. What have you got against and aftermarket ECU? Any problems they may creep up are easily detected and solved... by the right mechanics

Edited by ctjet

oh yeh i forgot about the safc. i was more concerned with pwrfc and their price tag, not to mention theres only a limited stock left. yeh my car is crunching on the fuel, it used to get 500 to a tank no problems before i got my hands on it.

i might start looking for safc retailers and get that done.

hey Nic,

What dump/front pipe you got? xforce or standard?

Is your Apexi Pod exposed or enclosed in a box/heat shield?

Like you said yourself numbers on dyno MEAN NOTHING.. just take it down to the drag strip where it counts, one of the guys with only 169rwkw has ran a few runs at 13.7 with 19" rims while others with around 200rwkw can't barely break the 14 second mark,

so see how you go GOOD LUCK! :ninja:

yeh exactly right, its all about the 1/4 mile time and im certain the way my car pulls it'll run great down there.

im pretty sure the dump is also an Xforce, but the pod is unshielded i really should fix that up.

i might look into a safc, it'll pay itself off in a few months with the money i save in fuel anyways.

500km to a tank is GREAT, i only got close to that running 100% stock.

I'de be luckt to see 350km in town , very short trips to work and back, about 15km, so car bearly gets warm.

yeah people on the mainland talk about getting 600 km on the higway, that would get me to Launceston and Hobart 3 times. So eaven on the highway, my ecconomy is not to great, as i always have to drive through a town. LOL.

that power figure seems about right to me

the only real power mods you have that are actually going to increase power would be exhaust and increased boost.

don't get me wrong. i wouldnt do it without a fuel pump and FMIC, etc. but you haven't put a lot of power mods in there so don't be expecting too much more

Goto agree with Waz, you don't really have any "power mods".. e.g. hi-flow turbo, new ECU, new cams, exhaust cam gear... You've just got a better flowing exhaust + a bleed valve + a pod which is arguably going to help.. 170kw is about right - that's probably 15 - 20kw more than stock..

Make the most of the rest of it with an aftermarket ECU and you should see a better result..

the two posts above mine are right on the money.

Do you really think that a BOV, crap iridium spark plugs, pod filter, colpacks and a fuel pump is going to actually increase power?

I think you need to learn more about cars before you start assuming that ANYTHING you bolt on will make it faster.... Did you expect a power increase out of your mags too?

maybe a few kw atw increase from the 19s.

nah i understand what you guys mean and come to think of it i was a bit blind to that now that i look at hte list of mods. all the other mods do is just make it run smooth, which it is and its a perfect daily driver.

im happy with the factory turbo it does an amazing job so all i can do is maximise its use with a tune. i think that might be the best way to go without spending too much extra.

cheers everyone. im still gonna run it and see what time it can do.

Why are some guys hung up on power figures? when I ran my 32 on the dyno (with minimal mods - I was just experementing with tuning the stock ecu myself) After I played around a bit I got a mighty 100kw at the wheels! I dont care, it was the fastest 100kw car I have ever driven, I could keep up with a friend in a 33gtr, and now i have even learned how to drive properly(still practicing). Pity I had to sell the car... :O

Sorry - Im bored, my last day at work and cant be bothered doing anything constructive, I should probably head off to the wasteland. Anyhow, get a tune, can make all the difference :( good luck.

just to add my bit in here. for a series 1 r33 aswell

bought the car with full turbo back kakimoto exhaust

132.2rwkw

turbotech boost controller 10psi, apexi pod in box and hks FCD

175rwkw

front mount, fuel pressure reg, 14psi

204.5rwkw

just by someone who knows what they are doing adjusting a few things like fuel pressure and the fuel cut defender after the fmic install i gained a fair bit

but yeah dont be too hung up on figures (unless your paranoid like me and think your car is shit lol)

oh yeah and 14.7 at the drags with 175kw and suspected slipping clutch

mate trust me if it were upto me the car would be at the shops with a high mount turbo, injectors and tune but im pu55y whipped and promised my gf a trip to europe.

ill look into a tune when i get bak from europe.

mate trust me if it were upto me the car would be at the shops with a high mount turbo, injectors and tune but im pu55y whipped and promised my gf a trip to europe.

ill look into a tune when i get bak from europe.

HOLY SHIT your in the exact situation as me... dude you will notice the difference when you get your turbo/ecu/inj....

when i get back from o/s its on like donky kong! soo can't wait :P

the two posts above mine are right on the money.

Do you really think that a BOV, crap iridium spark plugs, pod filter, colpacks and a fuel pump is going to actually increase power?

I think you need to learn more about cars before you start assuming that ANYTHING you bolt on will make it faster.... Did you expect a power increase out of your mags too?

hey have you seen my avatar? :P