SAU Community

Pics Pon Cams Install

Hi all,

Just installed some pon cams - got a couple of side by side pics here for interest. Bit of a job - took most of the day - lots of concentration needed as no matter what you do a few lobes end up opening valves as you bolt them down.

It's been running for a day now and no problems except for a slipping alternator belt on start-up which made the heart skip a few beats.

Cheers.

post-12959-1173731040.jpg

post-12959-1173731064.jpg

post-12959-1173731084.jpg

post-12959-1173731101.jpg

post-12959-1173731117.jpg

post-12959-1173731136.jpg

post-12959-1173731159.jpg

post-12959-1173731180.jpg

post-12959-1173731204.jpg

post-12959-1173731228.jpg

post-12959-1173731252.jpg

post-12959-1173731273.jpg

post-12959-1173731295.jpg

Top work Glen :P

The pictures tell a lot. Given the choice would you do the install with engine in the car, or on the bench?

What spec were those cams? Looks like lift is very little different from standard, but the more rounded egg shape on the lobe points to a lot longer duration than stock. Makes it easy to see why/where they are different.

**edit** should have looked at the markings on the box 256deg 8.5mm lift :P

Any commentary to include about things to watch out for?

cheers

Dale

Edited by Dale FZ1

Top work Glen >_<

The pictures tell a lot. Given the choice would you do the install with engine in the car, or on the bench?

What spec were those cams? Looks like lift is very little different from standard, but the more rounded egg shape on the lobe points to a lot longer duration than stock. Makes it easy to see why/where they are different.

**edit** should have looked at the markings on the box 256deg 8.5mm lift >_<

Any commentary to include about things to watch out for?

cheers

Dale

Things to watch out for - from what we learn't look at the lobes that are pushing the valves down when removing and installing the cams. You can undo them like a head etc if you like but the only caps doing the work will be the ones pushing the valves open. You really need someone watching to see how things are going making sure you don't end up with a bend. Like just about any engine work it would be great to do it on a engine stand without the back strain. Don't forget a torque wrench for the final tighten. In the book it says to leave the crank a tdc but we moved it so the pistons were as low as possible in the bores - didn't want valves touching pistons by mistake.

To do the job right I'd recommend doing the cam seals, rocker cover gaskets, timing belt, idler and tensioner and water pump at the same time if they've got a bit of age to them.

The tunes on thursday so am looking foreward to seeing how things go.

Cheers

Also going to give it a run at test and tune at Willowbank this saturday arvo if anyone's interested in joining us. A few cars going including a mate's turboed V8 32 gtr. Don't think I'll run any good times as I hate thrashing it off the line.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I was just installing my tomei poncams just like you yesterday, but when I was going to install the oil seal at the end of the intake cam I noticed it didn't fit. The end on the intake cam is alot thinner then the end of the exaust cam. Both oil seals that came with a nissan gasket kit is the same size. And I couldnt seem to understand how the stock cam gear could bolt on to the new tomei cam :\ im puzzled, and I don't have the original cam in the same part of the country as my engine build is in.

As you can see, there is alot of free room between the inner ring and the cam surface. Poor quality cam I know, mobile phone =)

img902.jpg

img903.jpg

Questions:

1. Did you use different size on the oil seals on the intake and exaust cam?

2. Did you use stock or alternative cam gears?

Cheers

LOL! nevermind I'm such a dummy, the rear end of the camgear inserted just nicely in that gap =) I was looking at the exaust cam gear...no wonder I didnt get it to fit :(