SAU Community

Problems With Boosting

yokotas13

Im only able to go to .5 bar roubly 6.5 PSI

this is with the factory boost solenoid out of the equation, and my AVCR installed which i know works becuase i was running a bar of boost on my 180sx.

is there some kind of restriction with the wastegate, like a small tube or something that reduces the presure or something stupid liek that?

Hmmmmmmm the stock wastegate is ~0.6bar, did you replace all the piping when you hooked up the AVCR? Cause it sounds like you have the wastegate hooked up directly to your plenum, as I got the same result when I removed my ebc which was miss behaving and just hooked up my wastegate straight to the plenum, instant standard boost :P

Hmmmmmmm the stock wastegate is ~0.6bar, did you replace all the piping when you hooked up the AVCR? Cause it sounds like you have the wastegate hooked up directly to your plenum, as I got the same result when I removed my ebc which was miss behaving and just hooked up my wastegate straight to the plenum, instant standard boost :P

i have it hooked up like this

Intercooler pipe, has the nipple on it

hose from there to the reference side of the EBC

THen the Com side is to the wastegate.

i dont understand it, i might be a bad solenoid now, but i dunno.

im gonna try and hook it up straight to the IC pipe

Easiest thing would be to have a read of the Jaycar IEBC thread. It has some good pics of how to set it up and references to the positioning of the flow restricting T piece(which the S2 doesnt have).

Plumbing the wastegate directly into the IC pipe will do exactly what Ska has said - the wastgate spring is set at 0.6 bar. The EBC needs to bleed off or restrict boost signal to the wastegate so the turbo is tricked into thinking that it hasnt reached 0.6 bar yet, so it keeps on increasing the boost.

I know it sounds obvious, but have you plugged the lines into the right nipples in the EBC. The factory instructions on mine were back to front, and I didnt find out until i blew through them with my mouth, while adjusting the regulator.

yes, i have it hooked up the same way my 180sx was, and it worked on there

ILl have a read on the thread you mentioned once i find it!!!

tanks

any chance in steering me in the right direction

only one i could find was of sydney kid building his hand unit

Yeah, that's the thread, You'll have to go to page two and three to see the pics. See the posts about the "free, 10 minutes to higher boost job" There is a lot of guff in there unrelated to what you want to know. But for me as a first timer it brought me up to speed on how the solenoids worked so I could figure it out from there. And on how the original plumbing worked. If there is any restrictor it will probably be in the T piece. ALternatively feel/squeeze along the length of the rubber lines to feel for a restrictor in the lines.

ok, since i conveniently keep all my vacume line in one place, i looked in the line that i took off the stock boost solenoid...adn low and behold there is a little restrictor in it

ill insert that in tomorrow and see what i can do

ok, since i conveniently keep all my vacume line in one place, i looked in the line that i took off the stock boost solenoid...adn low and behold there is a little restrictor in it

ill insert that in tomorrow and see what i can do

just becarefull not to overboost it

is it simply a matter of setting '0.8 bar' in the avcr?

i played with kylies greddy profec 2, and you dont set a boost pressure as such, more a boost pressure as a percentage increase over the stock boost, etc etc...

so maybe what ran 0.8bar on your 180sx is only pushing 0.65bar on your stagea? try upping it a bit and see what happens.

ps: a restrictor will increase the boost, as it drops the pressure, causing the wastegate to open later ie, instead of being 6psi at the pipework, and 6psi at the waste gate to open it, a restrictor can restrict 8psi at the pipework to only 6psi at the wastegate, thus it opening later and creating more boost.

ive tried setting at 1 bar and adjusting gain to see if it increases or decreases and no change at all.

ill try and find some kind of restrictor.

other than the stock one

• 9 months later...

Hey yokotas13, a bit OT but im curious as to what mods are on your gloria and what sorta power you're making? My bro has a vq30det gloria and it would be interesting to see what we should do to it.

Cheers!

Edited by GorGasm

Isn't stock boost set to about 5psi? Whatever the wastegate actuator thingy is set to, you cant go lower than that...and stock boost is 5psi up until 4500rpm where it bleeds off some pressure to achieve ~7.5psi.

So it must be getting *something* just not working how it should.

I have a manual boost controller and I'm pretty sure it is ONLY plugged into the actuator and the top of the turbo, nothing else. The line from the IC pipe is plugged as far as I know. However this is a completely different type of controller and may have different setup requirements...

Maybe if people can post pics of their EBC setup?