SAU Community

Fmic Vs Stock Airbox. Fight Of The Year!

well ive done many searchs but still couldnt find any easy options for my problem: (saw a pic of a melted snorkel, but dont want to go down that road..if i dont have to )

getting a FMIC put on by a workshop tomorrow, and (being in VIC) still want to keep it all legal by having my stock airbox. now the actual box itself imsure will fit no probs. its just the induction snorkel that i can clearly see being an issue. is there anything out there on the market (adaptor or something..dont want to pay like 200 bucks for some custom induction box)???? any easy DIY jobs to make it fit or fix?? anyone done anything with plastic tubing??

at the end of the day i would rather have a FMIC than a Pod

any pics would be great

cheers

jake

i went to purple pig in sunshine and bought a length of tubing with wire coiled through it... i feed this out of the mouth of the air box, through the hole from the old smic and then to a vent in the front bar... i have no pics butit works quite well and the tubing only cost $12 from memory...

blitz have a kit that mates to the stock piping so there are no issues with changing the airbox

do this if you are worried about pipework and mangling the airbox

blitz have a kit that mates to the stock piping so there are no issues with changing the airbox

do this if you are worried about pipework and mangling the airbox

I also have a similar Trust kit for sale if required, let me know..

Cheers

Dave

i went to purple pig in sunshine and bought a length of tubing with wire coiled through it... i feed this out of the mouth of the air box, through the hole from the old smic and then to a vent in the front bar... i have no pics butit works quite well and the tubing only cost $12 from memory...

yeah thats what i was considering doing.. bunnings or something. im guessing i would get more ventalation going to a spot in the front bar than getting a smaller length and positioning it where the original induction is.

main concern is that i dont want it looking shitty (ie; cops pulls me over and goes.."what the hell is that"), and want to be effective..

anyone with pics of any DIY jobs.? also roughly how much are these kits??? where from??

thanks guys

Edited by jake33

yeah i definetly dont want to waste hundreds on a special see through box for pod filters.. rather utilise the stock box and have a panel filter, but just make a modified snorkel/induction (whatever you like to call it)

i brought some induction pipe but it doesnt have any room or place to go.. (stock cooler in) so tomorrow after i get the FMIC, i think, (correct me if im wrong) i will have a spare hole on the right hand side where i can feed a plastic induction tube down there and vent it to an opening on the front bar, then the other end connected to the mouth of the airbox. as EVIL i think was talking about. anyhoo.. ill post up pics of both installs tomorrow.

cheers for your help.

still open to anyother way or suggestions...

Edited by jake33

yeah not too sure.. assume its classifield as modded but im still retaining the stock airbox. just adding some plastic extension. i mean i guess if a cop wanted to he could say that the KnN panel filter is "not standard" too.. but i dunno. main point im getting at; is i didnt want a pod, and prefered to keep the stock airbox and run a FMIC in the "legalest" possible way

Edited by jake33

got the FMIC put on today, the guys at protek did an awesome job in such a short time. minimal cutting and no masacaring the bar at all (hidden very well). will get slim lines though.. atm., the pods sitting right over the remaining stock hole from where the stock intercooler was. pics arnt great, stock airbox is going back on once i divise a mouth for it.

cheers

post-35246-1175086374.jpg

post-35246-1175086394.jpg

Nice man, that looks clean as. I reckon if you relocate the number plate and cut that middle piece of plastic out the cooler will be nicely framed in the front bar. As for the airbox, some black tubing sounds like the way to go, straight down from the orginal piping hole then bent towards the front so it sits next to the new cooler piping.

post-25414-1175091009.jpg

cut that middle piece of plastic out the cooler will be nicely framed in the front bar.

yeah asked them if they could do it, and they said they could however it would leave holes and they said i would have to get it fiber glassed then re paint. ha more money that i dont have.. ill be at your house saturday and we'll do a home job.

also found that boost went from 9psi to 12psi...... so im guessing im getting airflow

yeah asked them if they could do it, and they said they could however it would leave holes and they said i would have to get it fiber glassed then re paint. ha more money that i dont have.. ill be at your house saturday and we'll do a home job.

also found that boost went from 9psi to 12psi...... so im guessing im getting airflow

Your boost shouldn't increase from a FMIC install.

throught the cooler, but not the bumper was his point.

if you cut that middle section out wont that mean you have to cut the reo? I think it runs behind that piece of plastic.

I have been wanting to cut mine out as i have the same bar but dont want to void my insurance by cutting out structural metal would be good for flow!

if you cut that middle section out wont that mean you have to cut the reo? I think it runs behind that piece of plastic.

I have been wanting to cut mine out as i have the same bar but dont want to void my insurance by cutting out structural metal would be good for flow!

agreed!

i pretty sure your on the money there mate!

i havent done it yet, but by the looks of it you would have to cut the reo bar as well if u do decide to cut the plastic part.

in my opinion dont cut it! i know it does defeat the purpose of having a fmic but dont give the insurance company any reason to void ur insurance..

my two cents!

cheers

Your boost shouldn't increase from a FMIC install.

really??? before it was at full boost id get 9 (cold night it would hit 10), drove it today and full boost was at 11 to 12..

also mates psi went up after he got his front mount put on..

looks of it you would have to cut the reo bar as well if u do decide to cut the plastic part.

in my opinion dont cut it!

yeah i think im going to leave it. maybe a possible new bar in the future.

Edited by jake33