SAU Community

Power increase with large Front Mount Intercooler?

Guest INASNT

i got a 600x300x76 cooler and i can only feel a bit of lag sometime coming onto boost in higher gears when cruising!

Also use good cooler piping.

Will have pics later tonight of the 880 versionb Hybrid cooler on my mates girls 200SX, it is PHAT!

The sound is awesome too, and the T28's wastegate sounds great also, flapping when you come off the throttle.

Let me put it into perspective for you....

I have a VR4 cooler which measures up to about 450 x 210 x 70....

It flows extremely well,

I haven't modified the front bar to expose it, and it rarely gets heat soaked (probably only in traffic on a hot day).

So a cooler that is 800 x 300 x 75 will be overkill, and probably rob you of power....

A cooler tht is 600 x 300 x 75 is still pretty big, and probably more than you need,

Bigger is not better when it comes to intercoolers. You need to pick one that is suited to your application.

In my case, I am aiming for about 180 - 200rwkw, and the VR4 cooler should do fine....

yeah but if yer car is an ongoing project it might be a better idea to think long term so your not constantly upgrading the parts you buy my FMIC is 600 300 90 and at the same boost i was running with the stock cooler sure there was some lag but as soon as i dialled more boost in the thing was a hell of a lot more noticable and the lag was almost all gone

ps and i feel less guilty bout running bigger boost with the stock turbo

Yes, you should think of the long term, which is why I said that you pick one suited to your application...

If you're like me, and you're not planning on many mods, then a smaller cooler is better....

If you are planning on spending lots of $$$ for bigger turbo's where you need to flow more air through it, then certainly go for a bigger cooler, but make sure you dont go overboard...

Also dont confuse boost with flow... In your case, if you still have the standard turbo, then I'd ssay your intercooler is overkill. 300 x 90 is quite a large cross sectional area, and while your inlet temps may be down a little, your throttle response is suffering.

For example, theink of the extremities:

1. You have no cooler. The air flows through the pipe, and a constant speed at everypoint before it reaches the plenum.

2. You have an intercooler the size of a house. It will take a long time for your turbo to preasurise the intercooler, before the air in the outlet pipe can have the same preasure as the air in the inlet pipe.

Although relatively speaking, your cooler may not be as big, for short burst, you are robbing yourself some power.

Now imagine the second example again, but with a turbo half the size of the house... It wont take long for that turbo, to preasurise that intercooler, because it can flow more air,

ie: more air volume per second...

So then again, if you have a much larger turbo, capable of flowing more air, or you are planning on getting one, then yes, your cooler is well worth it...

just my 2c

I only noticed the lag on 10psi after that diallin in more psi the lag went away no throttle response is better than before

ps i kept ic plumming pipe size small to reduce lag and it looks like it did the job

Problems...last night I ruptured the gasket from my manifold to my turbo by hitting a fence stop under my car (too low)...

Have purchased 3 gaskets from Nissan for $178>engine-manifold, Manifold-turbo, turbo-dump...

Am fixing this on the weekend and will update on progress.

Intercooler will have to be the following weekend.

Am going to Mt Cotton on the 7th June, so everything has to be ready to rock'n'roll!

Fact- you will get a power increase if you improve flow. (provided you adjust your mapping to suit) If your cooler doesn`t improve flow your car will only be as fast as it is when it's cold. The option to run more boost and more timing advance with less chance of detenation is were all the larger gains are to be had. Jap intercooler manufactures try and find a happy medium between large flow and respectable cooling properties without to much pressure drop. Sound easy....its not. For instance a truck core may cool very well but have very low flow. *you get what you pay for*