SAU Community

Wiring Knock For A Safc2 On An R33

Hi,

I have wired up my safc2 to my r33 gtst though I am having some issues with woring up of the knock.

I know the purple wire on the safc2 is for knock but you have 2 knock wires on the ecu harness.

- Is there a second wire for knock from the safc2?

- I have the manual plus a d.i.y from this forum which is for a safc1 on rb20 and I am finding it all confusing. The rest is wired in okay.

- Can somebody please give me a step by step guide on how to do this.

Acutally I should of done a D.I.Y for an s2 r33gtst manual for safc2. I believe the wires from s1 r33gtst and rb20gtst are thr same colors but the s2 r33gtst ecu seems to have a few different color wires. There is also a different diagram for the 95s2 onwards. i

Thank you in Advance

Daniel

Please any ideas, I need to get this sorted as its suppose to go in for a tune tommorow, though I will have to postpone it.

I have completed a search but have not come up with what I require.

Cheers Daniel

You have to temporarily connect to knock sensor 1, take reading, connect to knock sensor 2, take a reading and then connect permanently to the one with the higher reading.

It is in the installation manual :P

Edited by so_tred

Yeah, just use 1 wire.

I didn't want to cut both so just connected the wire that watched the rear 3 pistons (forgotton how i found out) as they are the hottest due to air circulation etc..and number 6 is the one that usually fails....ie, i wanted the worst reading possible to be the safest.

Yeah, just use 1 wire.

I didn't want to cut both so just connected the wire that watched the rear 3 pistons (forgotton how i found out) as they are the hottest due to air circulation etc..and number 6 is the one that usually fails....ie, i wanted the worst reading possible to be the safest.

I have the apexi safc2 manual and it does not go into great detail, I was aware that I hd to connect the one wire and thats what I have now but what reading do I look for, I am gettn no readings???

Cheers Daniel

And thanx for the replys

Birnie.

I would like to do what you have done, but how the hell did you identify the back three pistons..

I need step by step guides please..car is gettn tuned on this friday at 3pm..

Chees Daniel

You have to temporarily connect to knock sensor 1, take reading, connect to knock sensor 2, take a reading and then connect permanently to the one with the higher reading.

It is in the installation manual :D

Yep.... exactly as he said! I found the manual to be pretty self explanatory for this.... although my auto elec mate was doing the wiring and I was telling which wires were what from the manual... the knock sensor setup is the manual seperate from the wiring one... (SAFC2)

If I get a chance tonight il do a little step by step I find the manual :huh:

For correct wiring what you actually do is cut both wires, and connnect one wire to teh knock SAFC readout. Do the base test for knowck. Repeat on the other knock wire form teh engine, the higher of the two readings is the one you use, as this is the one that will have higher readings if the engine is detonating.

Once that is done, reconnect the cut not used wire back to the ecu.

post-27760-1176776273.jpg

Okay I will try again..thanx for the info guys muchly appreciated..

where are yous reading the knock from though on the safc 2...monitor mode ?

This is the issue I am having nothing is reading?? ill see how I go thanx guys..i do have the manual, I may of just been in too much of a rush to contemplate what it was saying.

Cheers D

No, not monitor mode..

Go to:

3. etc. >

3. Sensor chk >

"Knk : xxxxx" will be displayed down the bottom of the screen..

This is where you take your reading from.

What color wires do you have for knock 1+2 , when i did mine r33 S2 i had a clear colour sheeth for both knock sensors. i checked it 3 times but no reading at all. i just gave up in the end, when you get it going let me know what color wire you found it to be.

I will see if I have time to write everything down for a s2 r33 as the wires are different from s1 r33 and r32 gtst where as they are the same...

D

No, not monitor mode..

Go to:

3. etc. >

3. Sensor chk >

"Knk : xxxxx" will be displayed down the bottom of the screen..

This is where you take your reading from.

Owh i see, Very good. It does work. I thought i was good and i am. What is a good knock reading to have? It has been as high is 70 when i draged a taxi at the lights. anyone ????

There are two knock wires on the safc2, one purple and the other one is_____???

Does anyone know what color the other knock sensor wire on the safc2 is...

And I want to clarify that I join the 2 safc knock wires together then only join one to the ecu harness???

Kind Regards,

There is only 1 knock sensor wire coming from the SAFC II - the purple wire.

There are two knock sensors on your ECU. Knock Sensor 1 & Knock Sensor 2.

You need to get your purple wire (from your SAFC harness) and connect it to Knock Sensor 1 (on your ECU)- take the reading (as above)

Disconnect the purple wire and connect it to Knock Sensor 2 & take the reading.

Surely you received the manual when you bought it...? It's pretty straight forward if you have a read..

Edited by so_tred

I have done all of the above, the reason why i am clarifying wat I have done is because i get the same reading for knock 1 and 2...it reads the same all the time, at idling, when revving underboost normal driving conditions..it does not go up or down??

Also all wires are solded so i am sure of a good connection.

D