SAU Community

Buying My First Skyline

Hi, I'm new to the Skyline scene and could really use your assitance.

I have found a 1993 R33 GTS (non-turbo) car, being sold by an importer. 57000 km on the clock. Car looks to generally be in good cobdition.

My questions:

1) The asking price is $9,900 + rego. Does that sound a bit high? What's fair value?

2) Is this somewhat of an undesirable model? Will it be hard to sell in a few years?

3) Who is good to carry out a pre-purchase inspection in Melbourne - who knows these cars well?

4) Anyone have any dealings with CARizma?

5) Any buying tips - things to look out for?

6) Can this car be reliable when used daily - I do a lot od driving for work?

7) What are the odds the 57000 km is genuine?

I appreciate any thoughts. Thank you in advance.

BJ951

Edited by BJ951

just save up a little bit more money and get a nice 33 gtst. after a while of having the gts you wil have wished that you had bought a gtst.

look around for a good deal. series 1 33 gtst you can get some good low prices on them now.

1) The asking price is $9,900 + rego. Does that sound a bit high? What's fair value?

i reckon u can haggle with them and get it to $8,500

2) Is this somewhat of an undesirable model? Will it be hard to sell in a few years?

considering that there are cheap r32 and r33 turbos that are around the 10 - 13k mark, most people will look for a turbo. But having said that, a non turbo is perfect for a p plater. So selling to a p plater might not be hard at all

3) Who is good to carry out a pre-purchase inspection in Melbourne - who knows these cars well?

RE Customs, Race Pace

4) Anyone have any dealings with CARizma?

one of the guys on sau works or worked with carizma - i think his user name was joecarizma. I havent heard anything bad about them, and their cars look to be in pretty good condition from what i have seen.

5) Any buying tips - things to look out for?

there is a sticky post by merli on the general discussion or skyline discussion section, id suggest you check that out. Thats the list i took when I went to look for skylines and supras.

6) Can this car be reliable when used daily - I do a lot od driving for work?

The RB engine is fairly robust, and a non turbo is better for fuel consumption I believe. You should be able to get between 450 and 500klms from a single tank in a car with a good condition engine. My turbo gets on average 400 with normal and spirited

7) What are the odds the 57000 km is genuine?

Slim to none....a 14 year old car with 57000klms usually would mean that the clock has been wound back. However, go by the feel of the car. If it runs great, then that means the car is in good condition.

Normally I would agree - turbo is the way to go - but I have two other quick cars already (inlcuding a turbocharged Porsche). My thinking is n/a will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, more reliable and had a less stressful life to date, all important for daily driver running costs and reliability. My main concern is to get a good deal (price wise) and a car that is not going to give me a much grief. Can a 14 year old car be reliable for extensive daily use?

Normally I would agree - turbo is the way to go - but I have two other quick cars already (inlcuding a turbocharged Porsche). My thinking is n/a will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, more reliable and had a less stressful life to date, all important for daily driver running costs and reliability. My main concern is to get a good deal (price wise) and a car that is not going to give me much grief. Can a 14 year old car be reliable for extensive daily use?

Normally I would agree - turbo is the way to go - but I have two other quick cars already (inlcuding a turbocharged Porsche). My thinking is n/a will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, more reliable and had a less stressful life to date, all important for daily driver running costs and reliability. My main concern is to get a good deal (price wise) and a car that is not going to give me a much grief. Can a 14 year old car be reliable for extensive daily use?

You wont have much problems with skylines they are very reliable and well built cars ive had a few skyline none of the, gave me any problems !!

By the way, fuel economy with NA and turbo Skylines is a grey area. I spoke to a girl who was driving an NA R33 Coupe and she kept getting around 400 KMs per tank... I have a turbo and still get easy over 430 a tank. Remember that the turbo is not spooling until you reach 3.500 RPM.

2005toyota-prius.jpg

4.4 litres / 100 km!

"And with 57kW of power and 115Nm of torque, there's no compromise on performance and driveability."

according to toyota aust you cant go wrong!

:laughing-smiley-014:

dont waste your time on a non turbo. i did that with my first car and with in 3 months sold that and bought the twin turbo variant (supra to supra tt) plus u have a porche 944 y would u go back 15 steps and get a gts. personally i wouldn't even get a gtst but hay each to their own.