SAU Community

R34 _vs Evo7 Vs V35

Hi People...

Yes its a sad moment for me, but i'm thinkin of trading in my R34GTt for an evo7 or v35 skyline coupe 350GT.

I guess what i'm looking for is suggestions as to if the $20-25K upgrade is really worth it?

Also i have heard alot about the evo's being a bitch as a daily driver, turbo lag, harsh gear change etc etc.

Any comments from people in the know?

i am also buying a V35 Sedan as our family car, but a bit hasitant due to the lack of information about them...

Oh forgot........GO the EVO.....6 / 8 (Evo 6 classic; last of the rally wining Evo's....8 looks Nice..but the 7 looks a bit hmmmm.....out of place :))

does anyone know the fuel consumption of the V35.....also 8speed Box reliability......

i've driven a evo7,9 appart from the handling which i incredible, the drive is shit house the most unconfertable car's i have ever driven i've also had the pleasure of been driven in a V35 350gt and the ride and feel of the car on the road is awsom the interior is briliant. if ur considering an evo why not an 03 05 sti my mate has one and it shits all over the evo's.

i've driven a evo7,9 appart from the handling which i incredible, the drive is shit house the most unconfertable car's i have ever driven .

Ditto, my V-spec is so smooth a drive compared with an evo.

Why a V35?

I can understand Evo a little..

If ur a Skyline fan like me, then I would definately consider the V35. Apart from being non turbo it apparently has the same power as a GTT stock vs stock. Slightly more practical than a 350z having 2 rear seats and cheaper too. The availability of a Supercharger kit is also a plus. I would love a coupe but personally would probably go for the sedan as we have a kid. A simple bolt on kit with nice wheels will look good :)

35k for a V35 coupe is about the same price of a 34GTT coupe about 2 years ago when I bought my 34...so I reckon give it another 2 yrs and u could pick a v35 coupe for 25K+

Slightly more practical than a 350z having 2 rear seats and cheaper too. The availability of a Supercharger kit is also a plus. I would love a coupe but personally would probably go for the sedan as we have a kid. A simple bolt on kit with nice wheels will look good

There are quite a few FI options available for the platform now.

HKS has a single turbo kit available, which by all accounts is a schmick setup (I'm trying to score a drive of one at the moment). 230rwkW at 4psi through a GT3037 with a suitable exhaust, so if you upgrade the injectors and pump there's still plenty of headroom. While it might cost more than a CAPA supercharger kit, it'll be the same price as any imported S/C kit and far cheaper than twins.

The FMIC only goes across about half the grille of a 350Z as well, which means along with the low boost and power levels you shouldn't get into major heat issues.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Yea i think the Evo7 is outta the equation as i don't think it would make a great daily driver and is bloody heavy on the juice.

So instead its the V35 coupe or the Subaru Liberty GT STi.

Anyone know why they charge so much more for the bloody v35 coupe in WA? THey want $51,000 and over east they are all below $40,000.

What exactly makes the Evo such a shit drive?

Is it seating position?

Interior appointments?

Boost? I always thought that the Evo came on boost quite low and was a torque beast... it was the wrx which had no bottom end (well until the newer 2.5l)

Could you explain further please.. as I'm looking for an Evo at the moment.

i would only compare the evo 8 to the v35.

the looks of the evo7 dont appeal to me personally, but Ive driven one and I cant see how they would be such a bad daily as most above have claimed? Suspensions great, steering is very precise, and from what i remember, jdm ones came with an anti-lag system. this would only mean the 8s better right?

the v35 styling is amazing though; luxurious interior and you have to love that jdm exterior. performance wise, well, you'd have to do more to it to be able to keep up with a stock evo. I would have thought the v35 drank more petrol than the evo?

but at the end of the day, v35 coupe hands down.

deriq

You guys must have the softest asses in the world!

Buy a couch if you don't want to feel bumps.

Evos are fine as a daily. They are comfy, quiet, and very easy to tootle around town in.

They also go quickly when you need them to. Soooo much more practical than the R33.

Fuel is fine - I get about 400km around town, just over 500km on highway - and never less than about 250km when giving it some beans.

There is plenty of low down response. Great fun to drive, and even more fun to drive hard.

What exactly makes the Evo such a shit drive?

Is it seating position?

Interior appointments?

Boost? I always thought that the Evo came on boost quite low and was a torque beast... it was the wrx which had no bottom end (well until the newer 2.5l)

Could you explain further please.. as I'm looking for an Evo at the moment.

The suspension is damn good, but damn stiff at the same time. The seats are too hard and are a pain in the ass to get in and out of. The clutch is very hard sprung and engages like bitch for a factory clutch. If you're use to this in previous modified cars it's not that bad. Only way to know for sure is drive one for yourself.

I had this exact same dilema, a few months ago.

In the end went with the V35.

Personally, as undeniabley awesome as the late Evo's are performance wise, to me the styling had a lot to do with it.

At the end of the day, I just couldn't get past the fact that the Evo shape has to be one of the most unimaginative bodies on a performance car EVER made. (and the WRX of course)

It all depends on what you want - daily + track beast, go Evo all the way. Not to interested in track, and want a well equipped sexy car, and are in love with skylines- V35.