SAU Community

Need Advice For Coilover Choice

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol @ aragosta being sweedish ohlins. this may come as shock news but so called 'sweedish' ohlins are called ohlins. some may find that hard to believe but trust me on this.

aragosta are ok shocks but they have nothing to do with ohlins.

yeah true dat, Aragosta claim to be made in the netherlands.... but yeah :) me think its a bit like the made in japan stickers on a lot of gear :)

Aragosta is good gear but not ohlins (yamaha) good....

Aragosta is not made by Ohlins.

The ones I have "examined" have been, can't say that ALL of them are though, because .........

Aragosta claim to be made in the Netherlands,

Those ones are made by AST, the ex Koni guys.

lol @ aragosta being sweedish ohlins. this may come as shock news but so called 'sweedish' ohlins are called ohlins.

Unfortunately the Ohlins made in Japan (Yamaha) are also called "Ohlins". Hence why I differentiate by calling the Ohlins made in Sweden "Swedish Ohlins" and the ones made in Japan "Japanese Ohlins". So don't look for stickers that say "Swedish Ohlins" :D

Aragosta appears to be nothing more than a "marketing" name, they simply rebadge other people's stuff. And charge more of course. :D

:D cheers :D

sorry to say guys but i have heard that you now req (in most states) an engineers cert if you fit coil overs. i.e they are now illegal. heard this on R31 skylineclub.com http://forum.r31skylineclub.com/index.php/topic,79654.0.html read down a bit and you will see the post were i got my info from.

The truth is only standard windscreen wiper blades are "legal", as in the ones you buy from your local Nissan dealer. Non standard mud flaps are also "illegal".

But no one bothers enforcing it. The current "scare" on coil overs is exactly the same.

Aragosta appears to be nothing more than a "marketing" name, they simply rebadge other people's stuff. And charge more of course. :D

exactly.... just like most :D

The ones I have "examined" have been, can't say that ALL of them are though, because .........

Those ones are made by AST, the ex Koni guys.

i have been to the factory and it aint in the netherlands :D but yes the above applies.... capn rebrand, use a well known base to build from and modify (in some case colour only :D )accordinly.

Bit like the URAS coil-overs.... they are poison dear 3k plus.... but each set is hand built and bench tested, they start from DG-5 cartridges, get new shafts, new valving, lightwieght swift springs (first spring choice of 80% of jap race teams) and a individual certificate of specs.... they will even build to order if you have the relevant specifications. 99.9% of the aussie market will never even consider a coil-over at this price..... even die hard guys stuggle to invest 1/3 of thier car in suspension..... :D

i dont no too much but a friend of mine had super streets in his 32 sedan and to date he considered them the best mod he did, great fun on the street changed/improved the car 10 fold without too much compremise on street comfortablility. dont know about track. but i agree with what you said previously. get the tienSS if they arent what your after in terms of track performance i doubt youll have trouble getting rid of them and atleast then youll have a better idea of exactly what you want from your suspension. just my 2c.

cheers Dario

ps. dont quote me though im an ae86 boy so my skyline knowledge isnt too crash hot lol.

i dont no too much but a friend of mine had super streets in his 32 sedan and to date he considered them the best mod he did, great fun on the street changed/improved the car 10 fold without too much compremise on street comfortablility. dont know about track. but i agree with what you said previously. get the tienSS if they arent what your after in terms of track performance i doubt youll have trouble getting rid of them and atleast then youll have a better idea of exactly what you want from your suspension. just my 2c.

cheers Dario

ps. dont quote me though im an ae86 boy so my skyline knowledge isnt too crash hot lol.

The new greddy type-s seem to be the flavour of 86 drivers in japan and the us after they won a test day done by Tarzan and Tsuchiya... tarzan even went on to write a review for dspeed i think.

The Nismo R-tuned are Ohlins I'm fairly sure. 4way adjustable. If I'm not mistaken BeerBaron has them.

I would also assume they are the Japanese made Ohlins?

The new greddy type-s seem to be the flavour of 86 drivers in japan and the us after they won a test day done by Tarzan and Tsuchiya... tarzan even went on to write a review for dspeed i think.

yer the greddy damper S had a look into it already and had a few people post the review on them in the ae86dc forums, they seem to be the goods :whistling: about 2.2k landed in melb. i got a link to the review if you like. *thumbs up*

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/parts/06_08/types.html