SAU Community

Getting The Crank Pulley Off?

are you talking about the harmonic balancer or the timing belt gear that is press fitted on a key to the crank ? if its the gear u basically have to break it to get it off. on my rb30 block i tried drilling and tapping holes into the front of it to use a pulle rto pull it off all that acheaved was a few bent bolts and eventuall ythe treads just pulle dout i ened up drilling holes into the gear from front to back adjacent from each other so basicly one rwo at the top of the gear and one at the bottom then smack it witha cold chisel and it will break in two. i know this sounds ruff but i asked this question a while ago in the rb30det thread and this seems to be the way a lot of people have done this

All though preying it off isn't recommended as you may damage the balancer in the process.

Head down to your local autostore and buy a steering wheel puller/harmonic balancer puller. Same thing.

Grab some ~50mm M6 bolts and a packet of suitable washers.

All up should cost around $20. If not and u want to save 5-10 shop around. :thumbsup:

A couple of minutes and its off safely without damaging the balancer.

---

If its the cam belt drive gear your talking about... Good luck. hahah I drill and cold chizzel them off. Usually only takes a tap or two if you drill it correctly.