SAU Community

Transmissions

Hi guys,

What does my skyline transmission run? are they CVT's.

Its a 2003 2door coupe automatic.

Ive been looking everywhere to get the genuine nissan transmission oil but still not to sure on which one to use?

Also do you guys recommend genuine nissan oil for engine?

Cheers

Hi guys,

What does my skyline transmission run? are they CVT's.

Its a 2003 2door coupe automatic.

Ive been looking everywhere to get the genuine nissan transmission oil but still not to sure on which one to use?

Also do you guys recommend genuine nissan oil for engine?

Cheers

Hey mate,

Only the 350GT-8 sedan has a CVT. All the coupes, either have the tiptronic auto or 6sp manual.

As far as the transmission oil goes, I've heard that you MUST use genuine nissan, and nothing else. Engine oil is not such a big issue, and I think you'll find that most people use some form of aftermarket oil.

Keep us posted on what you find out about the auto box oil, cause i'm looking to change mine sson as well.

Cheers

Bobby

Im a member of the G35 club in the USA.

This guy gave me a link to the instruction manual.

Now in the manual it says to use nissan matic J ATF transmission fluid, but it doesn't specifically say whether its for the sedan or coupe?

This gets really annoying man. I don't want to take it to my mechanic and he doesnt know what to put in it, no one at nissan knows either.

Does it say it anywhere in the engine bay?

cop and paste this link for reference, its quite helpful. http://www.infiniti.com/pdf/techpubs/g35%2...nfiniti-G35.pdf

let me know cheers.

I was doing a fair bit of reading on G35 Driver yesterday as well, and looks like the only fluid you can use is the Nissan J-matic.

I'm going to give my Nissan place a call today, to see if they have or can get some in.

The interetsing thing I found was that after doing a full tranny flush, a few posple noticed some problems. Also a few poeple said their dealerships over there recommeneded against doing a full tranny flush, and instead just letting the old oil out and filling it up with new.

I've decieded to do this for know, but will do it quite often, that way your sort of doing a full flush over time anyway.

anyone else have any thoughts.

this all sounds like crap to me..

there's hundreds of nssans on teh road, and you're telling me that our transmissin won't work with anything but original fluid?

i've had motul fluid in my R32 gearbox for a year now with no issues, in fact since 2002 it has had no original fluid in it

i'm going to do a full flush with some good aftermarket fluid sometime soon, and i'll be adding a trans cooler at the same time

Im going to call infiniti in the USA tomorrow morning and find out what oil to use for the the transmission. I have a feeling nissan J matic is for the CTV-8 sedan.

This will solve all hasles.

if aftermarket fluid doesn't work then there would be no market for transmission fluid..

its just stupid i think

the problems i see are:

1) most on g35driver.com have dealer waranties and don't want to void them - thus they take it back to the factory for handbook servicing

2) they're americans (self-explanatory)

if aftermarket fluid doesn't work then there would be no market for transmission fluid..

its just stupid i think

the problems i see are:

1) most on g35driver.com have dealer waranties and don't want to void them - thus they take it back to the factory for handbook servicing

2) they're americans (self-explanatory)

Yep, absolutely correct that there warranty plays a big part in what they use.

HOWEVER - The Nissan J-Matic fluid seems to do a very good job, with a lot of people in states running stock auto transmissions with both Turbo's and Supercharges.

The questions is why do you want to go after market?

If you think after market is better, again the Nissan fluid seems to be doing quite a good job.

If it's to save money - Personally I'll pay $100 extra for fluid rather than thousands extra for a new transmission.

And it definately is J-matic in the autos over in the US. They don't have the 8 speed CVT.

I spoke to a Nissan parts department today and got a price of $70 for 5 litres, which I think is fine considering you don't have to change it every month. And that's much less than a rebuild.

Use what Nissan Japan recommend nothing else and that is not for the hell of it as you are playing with fire if you think you can throw anything in their, I get the stuff Ex Japan but it takes a while.

What I have in my books:-

FROM THE 350Z Manual

2003 350Z â€" A/T

RE5R05A

Trans Code 90x72

A/T Fluid Type Nissan Matic 'J' ONLY (P/N 999MP-MTJ00P)

Oil Capacity 10 7/8 qt

A/T Cooler Type Fin Type Structure

• Nissan Matic 'J' ATF is the only fluid accepted for warranty, service contracts and

goodwill repairs.

Important Note: Nissan Matic 'J' must be used in performing repairs paid by Nissan for

the 2003 and later 350Z, such as warranty, service contract, or good-will repairs. There will

not be reimbursement for repairs when non-genuine Nissan Matic 'J' is used.

Manual transmission gear oil 3-1/4 qt 2-3/4 qt 2.9 API GL-4,Viscosity SAE 75W-85

Automatic transmission fluid 10-7/8 qt 9-1/8 qt 10.3 Genuine Nissan ATF Matic Fluid J*2

*2: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine Nissan ATF Matic Fluid J will cause deterioration in driveability and

automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new

vehicle limited warranty .

FROM THE G35 Manual

Manual transmission gear oil 3-1/8 qt 2-1/2 qt 2.9 API GL-4, Viscosity SAE 75 W-85 or 75 W-90

Automatic transmission fluid 10-7/8 qt 9-1/8 qt 10.3 Genuine Nissan Matic J ATF *2

Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine Nissan Matic J ATF will cause

deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is

not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty.

*2: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine Nissan Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and

automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the INFINITI new

vehicle limited warranty.

*3: For Canada, NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF), DEXRONTM III/ MERCONTM , or equivalent ATF may also be used.

OK take from this what you will. It is your own responsibilty on what fluid you use. It only mentions the A/T and M/T of these cars in everything I have. I have no info at all on the CVT at the moment, so I can't see where you guys get that its is definitely J-ATF fluid that is needed. Sorry mate, but Infiniti would have no idea. An Auto is not CVT. Maybe the fluid happens to be the same, but this is not confirmed yet.

I will say however that my own personal opinion is that a transmission service/flush is not required as regularly as other cars. For the AT and MT, the service schedule says that you pretty much don't need to do anything other than inspect which I suspect means top up as well. This schedule goes up to 96000KM and it doesn't even mention replacing the fluid at all - http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=173808

Can't see how this would be much different for the CVT however, but like I said take from it what you will.

I think Kleenbeats would know - where are you mate???

Edited by -= SKiZO =-

Yes i understand all that, but the 2003 coupe automatic gearbox is not a CVT. The CVT is only in the sedan version also known as the CVT-8.

The info you have provided, infiniti manuals and also talking to a rep confirms that this is the correct fluid for the coupe as they do not run CVT's.

and how oftem does the manual say to change engien oil?

personally, i change engine oil every 5,000kms and transmission oil every 20,000kms but that's just me - i am very into maintenance.. must be my medical training - prevention is better than cure!

I am with Waz all the way on that one.

I am the type of person who likes to maintain things just for peace of mind, and also to prevent less wear and tear.

This all results in a very smooth ride.

even to double check i called nissan japan and spoke to someone who could speak english.

And they confirmed that it was nissan j matic

Well done dude, good stuff.

Did you tel them to right an English version for the Sat Nav as well :-)