SAU Community

Is Gasket Maker Easy To Get?

LatinR33

Hey Im at work and have been called by the mechanic and have been told that the water pump that i provided didnt come with a gasket and gasket maker would need to be used. He would need to hunt down some. is it hard to get or will it be a problem.

hey man, it's easy as :D

goto a servo and look for Selleys Windscreen sealant or Marine Sealant

either clear or black, both are fine, that is what people use for waterpump seals, it's basically a silicone based sealant, put round 2-3mm round the place where the gasket usually goes, make sure it's all even, then smush it together :D

if you can't find the Selleys stuff, try CRC Gasket maker, it's in most Repco/Supercheap stores, it's a tad more expensive than the Selleys stuff, but after you've done your waterpump you can use it on your throttle body, AAC and inlet manifold :D i just did when i cleaned mine out, made my idle a lot better than it was :D

CRC = http://www.crc.co.nz/item_prod.asp?pid=474

Selleys = http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-Windscre...nt/default.aspx

I recommend buying it yourself and giving it to him, otherwise he'll try charge you a ridiculous rate, especially not knowing what to use on an automotive water gasket :S that's pretty slack for any mechanic

Selleys is round $15

CRC round $9.95, both do a good job

Yeah, Well im at work and his doing it so yeah if he tries to charge me heaps for the gasket maker im going to go off. He initially thought i needed a gasket but when i advised of gasket maket he was sweet about it.

there is also another product called "gasket goo" not 100% sure if its suitable for a waterpump application .. but this stuff never dries out , so when you remove the part you wont have to do battle with the silastic ( and having to scrape it off with a blade etc. )

If your mechanic deosn't know where to get gasket goo from, is he a real mechanic?

Anyone/everyone sells gasket goo.

autobarn/repco/autoone/supercheap auto. I've seen it in the supermarket, in kmart, service stations.

Loctite make some, as do permatex

Edited by MANWHORE