SAU Community

Mod Plate For Modifying Seat Capacity

mic_check_1_2

hey everyone, nearly fnished building my car back up i have since installed a roll cage in it and stripped the rear seats now to register this legally as a 2 seater would i need a mod plate?? or it doesnt matter?? if i do need a mod plate where abouts on the westside of brisbane is a place??

thanks

can i get away with just the mod plate for 2 seater and not the cage or will main roads grill me for it ?

what part of NEED and BOTH dont u understand? :glare:

which part of both dont you understand :P

ps anyone KNOW how much seat capacity mod plate would cost?

(thinking of leaving my fixed back drivers seat in all the time)

predator can do it, they said 250 for my cage and seat, dan has a contact also that can do it, not sure how much though, but it's more than likely cheaper than predator lol

can these items be legally mod plated?

you can't just get a mod plate for anything.. i would have thought a roll cage can't be mod plated at all..

A half cage can be. I couldn't get the front hoops in a ANDRA spec cage mod plates on my Silvia. I'm pretty sure side bars along the door canbe plated though. Someone here will no the law more then me as it's been years since I've had one done. Also, your not allowed to carry people in the back with a cage, so the trim will have to go. As ur running a 2 seater this wouldnt matter anyway.

Seats, you need to weld up the seat belt holes, so belts cant be replaced later on. I have yet to met someone who will over look this, agian - Someone might. it's been years since I have had it done.

what part of NEED and BOTH dont u understand? :laugh:

predator can do it, they said 250 for my cage and seat, dan has a contact also that can do it, not sure how much though, but it's more than likely cheaper than predator lol

will predator mod plate this?

post-6973-1188289867_thumb.jpg

Why do people post such utter rubbish without knowing the laws? I have the QLD code of practice for light motor vehicles in front of me. It's as if you're posting what you think should be right, but "don't quote me as i haven't looked at the laws like, ever..." Considering this code of practice came into affect at least from 1993.

Roll Cage = LH8 modification code

You CAN have a 6 point roll cage that protects the front section of the car. It must be adjacent to the windscreen pillar - eg like safety21/cusco roll cages. (Section 1.1.1)

You MUST have 19mm padded foaming around the entire roll cage (section 6.1)

You CAN NOT have side intrusion bars incorporated into the roll cage. (Section 1.2.2)

You DO NOT have to modify the seating capacity when a roll cage is installed and you ARE NOT required to remove the seats IF;

(The roll cage does not obstruct or encroach upon the area that the passenger is seated - Section 1.2.1)

The main principal with seating capacity is determining whether the seats are going to be temporarily removed, whether the vehicle is actually modified when removing the seats or if its just been reconfigured according to the manufacturers specifications

Eg. 4WD's have the quick release option (standard) with seating, to provide room for luggage etc No approval required.

Vehicles that have bolt in seating, temporary removal of seats do not require approval, provided that it doesn't effect the registration category of the vehicle.

Vehicles with the permanent removal of seats, obviously will require an appoved person to issue a mod plate for the reduction of seating capacity.

Definition of permanent meaing - the seats are removed for an indefinite period on the basis thats it not expected to have them refitted.

Mod plate = LK1

im sure most of you are aware of this, but its a good reference for people that are unaware

Just reading the code of practise now, tehnically there isnt any code listed for the removal of seats, just the inclusion of additional or replacement seats.

Cages - LH8

- 4 or 6 mounting points

- Section 1.2.1 states "horizontal braces alongside front seats are not acceptable"

- Section 1.2.2 states "the roll over protection structure may encrouch upon the rear passenger space, but must not obstruct passenger access".

Theres a few other guidelines but u'll need to consult an approved person for them

Why do people post such utter rubbish without knowing the laws?

Roll Cage = LH8 modification code

You CAN have a 6 point roll cage that protects the front section of the car. It must be adjacent to the windscreen pillar - eg like safety21/cusco roll cages. (Section 1.1.1)

You MUST have 19mm padded foaming around the entire roll cage (section 6.1)

You CAN NOT have side intrusion bars incorporated into the roll cage. (Section 1.2.2)

You DO NOT have to modify the seating capacity when a roll cage is installed and you ARE NOT required to remove the seats IF;

(The roll cage does not obstruct or encroach upon the area that the passenger is seated - Section 1.2.1)

Because I tried to get a mod plate for one and couldn't get ANY place doing ADR plates at that time to pass the car with front hoops. I was MADE to put side bars in WHICH WAS plated. ALSO when my mate owned "J-boy's" old track GTR, he couldn't get a mod plate for the front hoops (saftey21/cusco cage) and had to pull them out.

please post a scan copy of where it states you DO NOT have to mod the seating capacity as I WAS made to do it. Traffic task force also confirmed this with me when they pulled me over and checked the ADR plate for:

1) The cage

And

2) For being a 2 seater (I didn't have a centre x brace, but as I had a harness bar between the centre hoop this was deemed to obstruct the are of the passengers, as well as the rear hoops following the roof and pillars down to the parcel self as they “could” hit their head on either of the bars )

You obviously have the book with the sections, but I would like to see where it states all of this as it appears I was done over.

Edited by Nismo_Boy

Just reading the code of practise now, tehnically there isnt any code listed for the removal of seats, just the inclusion of additional or replacement seats.

Cages - LH8

- 4 or 6 mounting points

- Section 1.2.1 states "horizontal braces alongside front seats are not acceptable"

- Section 1.2.2 states "the roll over protection structure may encrouch upon the rear passenger space, but must not obstruct passenger access".

Theres a few other guidelines but u'll need to consult an approved person for them

Interesting they would only ADR my car with door brace's and not front hoops and for Traffic task force to tell me the same thing, then to check my plates.

The whole system needs an overhaul…

Yes mod plates are needed. Whenever i was stopped by the police, the first thing they would ask about is my rollcage and seating capacity which is down to 2. My mod plates included LH8. I always let the cops checked my modplates and never had a problem. Get the mod plates you need and save yourself the hassle from the cops. Even fer my old GTR, I never once got a ticket fer anything at all. :)

I also have a copy of the Light Vehicle Modification Act, Engineers will NOT APPROVE a cage with and allow the rear seats to remain usefull as it also states that the you cannot make getting in or out of the vehicle any more diffucult (not in those exact words).

It is because of this alot of engineers will not even approve fixed back seats, do not think u can read the rules and then magically have the knowledge of the in's and out's of the industry and know how it runs.

Again everything is open to interpretation and what engineers are prepared to put their jobs on the line for.