SAU Community

A Stupid Question

whilst bored on the train, i was wondering whether skyline was a translation of the japanese name

then i realised that imports physically say skyline (or silvia, 180sx etc.) on the back of the car

why sell a car in japan with a western name? wtf

should skylines have a load of jap symbols on the back, and not actually be called skylines

just wondering if someone has ever pondered as i have, or whether im being stupid and missing something really stupid

Edited by anomaly

If you look at the nissan logo, its in english. I reckon half (if not all) the people who run the company probably speak english as a 2nd language. I think its something to do with manufacturing cars that may (possibly) be sold worldwide.

Also, if you see any pictures of tokyo for example there are english signs and numbers everywhere. I think it is now fairly accepted to have english names on japanese cars. It'd probably annoy us aussies if it was the other way round (not being racist) so I wonder how they really feel about it. Maybe its a case of what you're used to?

Another example, the nissan stagea was only ever made for the local japanese market, yet the badges are all in english and I have a XANAVI tv/satnav system that also only supports japanese maps and NTSC signal, yet the climate control and CD player controls which are accessed via this unit are all in english. So english speaking people cant read the tv and satnav controls and japanese people cant read the climate control and cd player controls. Go figure?!

I've thought about this too

Like pixel8r has said, CD players and Climate controls are in english...

In autos, there is also the "Power/Snow" button .