SAU Community

Sold Pls Delete

Ok No worries at all mate, Ask in the forced induction section here about the mods and reliability. Yeh I understand having never owned one before your concern. Just a little heartbreaking to see comments above (I know its not your opinion) when all the money has been spent for it to be reliable and fast. Talk to you later mate.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why in hell would you ask questions about a modified skyline on a ford forum??? sure as hell be a very one sided affair! this car is almost identical to my car which i recently sold. would and did destroy many modified xr6 turbo barges! oh look now im sounding biased and one sided. it must be cause im on a skyline forum lol! the only problem you have with these highly modified cars , which i found was when i trusted places to do work on my car which i didnt know was dodgy then you spend twice the money getting things fixed by a reputable workshop so hence buy a car that has already had someone elses sweat and tears put into it! i only sold mine because i needed a four door tamer more family orientated car. my 2 cents.

why in hell would you ask questions about a modified skyline on a ford forum??? sure as hell be a very one sided affair! this car is almost identical to my car which i recently sold. would and did destroy many modified xr6 turbo barges! oh look now im sounding biased and one sided. it must be cause im on a skyline forum lol! the only problem you have with these highly modified cars , which i found was when i trusted places to do work on my car which i didnt know was dodgy then you spend twice the money getting things fixed by a reputable workshop so hence buy a car that has already had someone elses sweat and tears put into it! i only sold mine because i needed a four door tamer more family orientated car. my 2 cents.

Because I'm an Ex-Ford owner! LOL

I owned probably OZ's most powerful (600 rwHP) super-modified Turbo EL XR6 Falcon, $130,000 worth of car ...and sold it because it drove and handled like a 'barge' and it was giving me too many everyday problems.

The Skyline is a huge 360 deg turnaround for me ...and obviously for the Ford guys I've been hanging around with ...their comments, whilst a little harsh & personal here and there ...are understandable and well-meant.

I think I'll be very happy with this car, after the crap I've been through recently ...it's a good compromise between price, power-weight ratio, handling, driveability, and practicality whilst still having some 'appeal' :)

Edited by markr154

Because I'm an Ex-Ford owner! LOL

I owned probably OZ's most powerful (600 rwHP) super-modified Turbo EL XR6 Falcon, $130,000 worth of car ...and sold it because it drove and handled like a 'barge' and it was giving me too many everyday problems.

The Skyline is a huge 360 deg turnaround for me ...and obviously for the Ford guys I've been hanging around with ...their comments, whilst a little harsh & personal here and there ...are understandable and well-meant.

I think I'll be very happy with this car, after the crap I've been through recently ...it's a good compromise between price, power-weight ratio, handling, driveability, and practicality whilst still having some 'appeal' :thumbsup:

I posted some of those comments (but not all haha) and I've signed up to have a look around, and to defend myself a little. Mark bought an eastern states car (the 600rwhp turbo falcon) and was having problems both rego wise and reliability wise. I myself own an earlier model falcon that has been turbocharged and I've wasted a few modified R34 GTR's, plenty of wrx's and gtst's (look were all biased :) ) I suppose you have to take our comments in perspective. Mark is once again buying a car from out of state that is higly modded and may be hard to rego. Also were used to cars that have torque everywhere and in my case have basically no turbo lag. Before my latest cam I had peak torque at 1800rpm and full boost at 1600rpm, with a 700hp roller turbo. So to us 3200rpm is a DAMN long time to wait, hence I would call it laggy (although by no means would it be in reality, I'm under no illusion as to how laggy a skyline motor CAN be with the wrong turbo and a 600roller is a pretty good compromise.

I've seen quite a few R33's over here with that turbo (and I must admit from the pic I thought it was the slightly smaller verison) the 600 roller tends to make a maximum of 320rwkw, I've seen that figure or close to it on 3 skylines with built motors, one running 22psi, one running 25psi (crazy - they made the same power at 21psi but kept winding it up looking for more) and one made it at 18psi (cams, port work, 8000rpm limiter) so my comments are not foolish and I DO know what I'm on about.

You DO have to admit that worked cars break stuff, no matter how well you spend your money or what on, once you start making over 200hp/L things are highly stressed and it only takes a small thing to really break something badly. Hence the reason I told him it would be better to buy the faster standard car. You yourself are upgrading to an EVO, and like I said there are only two reasons for selling a highly modded car.

1. Because something is broken or about to be

2. Because you want to trade up, because trading up to a faster stock car means less mods (and hence hopefully more reliability) for the same speed of car.

So you fall under cat 2. Which is fine, its a genuine reason to sell, but you can't deny that an EVO or a GTR is a better base to start with, and thats what I was pointing out to him, nothing more nothing less. Its a nice car, and its great that you've built it up to this extent. But in my opinion (and I'm not Mark obviously) it would be too hard to rego here, and its just better to start with the better base, but to each there own.

Well said from Delta.

Dan and I are already organising to have the screamer and BOV plumbed back ...and I'll be taking my chances with the top-mount turbo.

I've already spoken to the WA engineer here that was going to inspect my EL XR6T ...and he basically said that I shouldn't really have any dramas, due to the following:

1. The car is very straight, clean ...and not oozing 'rice' in terms of bodykits, decals, bling rims, ride height etc.

2. The loudest, most attention grabbing components (screamer, BOV etc) will be plumbed back / reverted before car is even sent to WA.

3. The Turbo itself will be sporting a Garrett Turbo jacket before any inspection, so as to minimise it's presence ...of course this may not help much, but it is also probable that the individual pit inspector on the day may not find this out of place ...since this car originally came out as a Turbo model anyway.

4. I am a mature (on the face of it anyway) 40 y.o. who will be presenting the car for inspection ...not some beanie-wearing P-Plater encrusted in 'bling' jewellery.

5. If I fail pits for any of the above ...the WA engineer has said that he will inspect the car and award any approvals / certificates ...he passed my EL XR6T, and that car was waaaay more obviously modified than this!

I am prepared as much as I can be for any eventuality ...we'll just have to see what happens.

Yeh all is good.

Def a genuine reason for sale, esp when my mechanic who built most of the car said he would buy it but just didnt have the cash. And with SA stupid modification laws and how much they absolutely hate imports over here (never been pulled over in it but the amount of storys you hear are stupid, doing u turns just to chase down imports to defect them for no other reason). Just time to move along an evo seems the best for my style of driving now.

In terms of breakages, Sure everything will break one day its a car, but in saying that I have spent heaps of cash in the right places to ensure that all has been strengthened and would take an absolute hding and be very very reliable.

Terms of lag, the standard turbo come on boost at 2500rpm, so a 600hp item commin on at 3200 is pretty damn nice. Yes the smaller housing was chosen for this. As I have stated yeh this turbo would prob peak around 330kw but thats insane in a 1370kg car, I mean it doesnt like traction on boost atm let alone with another 50rwkw. Off boost the car is really nice to drive as mark will find out and turbo lag isnt a issue with driveability. And peak power is at 7000rpm which I know for you falcon owners is crazy, But it gets there so quick its not funny, lightened flywheel is absolutely nuts.

All up for your first skyline mark you will be more than happy with it, Just a clean car, thats reliable and is clean as you stated. Welcome to the world of imports :thumbsup:

In case you guys were interested ...this is the Ford EL XR6 Turbo in question:

Wheelturn.jpg

Sidecomp.jpg

Engine-2.jpg

Boot1.jpg

Interiorday2.jpg

An amazing and unique car ...451 rwkw with 1300 nm of torque, and approx 400 kgs of extra weight in Audio!

The new owner is planning to go TWIN Turbo (holy f@@k) ...but even the original owner confessed that he had gone OTT on this car in terms of power and the audio system ...at one point he had 309 rwkw with only half the stereo install ...he lamented recently that THAT's the point he should have kept her at :rolleyes:

Another point I neglected to raise is that it is likely that my wife may have to drive this car on occasion.

She's not exactly 'manual-friendly' and is one of those maddening drivers that likes to sit 10K's UNDER the speed limit no matter what road she's on ...she just 'tootles' about.

A bit of Turbo lag, and some smooth driveability off-boost will go a long way to NOT giving her a scary wake-up call ...and a subsequent ear-bashing to me! :rolleyes:

Also thanks to Delta for posting his thoughts last night ...as I said, some of the comments were well-meant, and borne out of knowledge and experience ...others were just downright personal attacks.

Terms of lag, the standard turbo come on boost at 2500rpm, so a 600hp item commin on at 3200 is pretty damn nice. Yes the smaller housing was chosen for this. As I have stated yeh this turbo would prob peak around 330kw but thats insane in a 1370kg car, I mean it doesnt like traction on boost atm let alone with another 50rwkw. Off boost the car is really nice to drive as mark will find out and turbo lag isnt a issue with driveability. And peak power is at 7000rpm which I know for you falcon owners is crazy, But it gets there so quick its not funny, lightened flywheel is absolutely nuts.

Welcome to the world of imports :rolleyes:

I made max boost at 1600rpm BEFORE my cam change, now I make max boost when the cam comes on (its a lot more driveable but its laggy compared to instant boost) 7000rpm isn't crazy at all, I'm not sure where max power is on my falcon, the bottom end is stock and 280,000k's old with a self imposed rev limit of 6000rpm, so for the moment thats where peak power is. Ford fans are not all afriad of revs, or for that matter a bunch of bogan morons (tho we have a few of course). I make about 3-5psi from 1800rpm now, and when the cam comes into range its just swings instantly to max boost, which if you have your foot flat just equals wheelspin and bouncing off the limiter in ANY gear at pretty much any speed.

I've driven plenty of modded skylines, and some of them are reasonably quick, but mine and my mates early model falcons (1500kg not 1800kg like the BA-) you really have to have a ride in to believe, the amount of torque available is ridiculous. The only import I've been in that comes close was an S13 with an RB30/25 hybrib shoehorned in the front with a GT30/40 - now THAT had serious torque everywhere.

That's pretty wild ...you should post up a link to your car.

On stock bottom end too ...the Falcon I6's certainly hold up pretty well!

I'm not planning on turning this Skyline into a wheel-spinning fire-breathing monster ...but I guess I can always 'tweak' a little bit more out of her if I actually feel the need to do so in the future.

For me it's now about driveability, handling, and comfort ...with a bit of 'safe' boost thrown in for good measure :rolleyes: without leaving me in the financially precarious position I was in previously.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep ...looks like I'll soon be a virgin Jap import owner ...and I'm sure this car will suit me to a tee :happy:

I've already got a few plans in place to enhance her cosmetic 'appeal' a little.

Thanks for all your honesty and help Dan, she will be WELL looked after ...definitely something the Ford boys here will NOT argue with, based on the meticulous pride and care I took with my 'Blue Ovals' previously.

I'll start a thread on here when she arrives, so you'll never be out of touch with how she's getting on.

Cheers again mate :thumbsup: