SAU Community

Mk V Golf R32 * 08 Lancer Evo X * 02/03 Boxster S * R34 Gtr Vspec

help me choose a new car.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

320nm by 2000rpm?? hahahah a piece of paper can say what it wants.. its what it actually makes on the road what counts...

on paper my gtr makes more torque @ 2000rpm than what my civic makes anywhere in the rev range.. but my civic is much zippier champ.

Papers mean nothing. Real roads is where it counts and the evo doesnt have enough torque downlow despite what ur shitty paper says

Drive one.. i drive them all the time champ. u havent even been in one :)

Nice quote. So the Boxster despite winning Motor magazines performance car of the year and many other awards is actually a performance slug. Very interesting!!! I take it performance to you means acceleration only because this is the only area where it would lose out to a modified GTR or Evo.

I think you've missed the point about taking off from the lights. It's more to do with keeping up with traffic than beating traffic. It's pretty frustrating trying to keep up with Falcons and Commodores by having to rev it to 4,000 - 4,500 in each gear while they lumber along at 2,000 - 2,500. Torque makes a huge difference in this situation.

Can't find the time for a stocker R34 GTR or Evo around the nurburgring but, given the old Cayman S (same motor) is 20 seconds slower than the stock 1995 R33 GTR around the ring (made worse by the fact that tyre technology has come a fair way since) I'd say the povo' boxter is going to have it's ass handed to it. Yes it handles and brakes well, just is underpowered. It needs some Ruff help or something, as you have barely got the oomph of a fairly stock gtst (not a fast car either). A friend owned the previous model of the Boxter S and it's impressive brakes and handling didn't make up for the faggy accelleration and the fact that his car spent an awfull lot of time being fixed at the dealers.

I think I missed the point you are trying to make. How are you not keeping up with traffic? Clearly if you know how to drive you can reach and maintain the speed limit without behaving like a bus? I seem to manage in an old 7 seater deisel 4wd. Are you in Germany with a driveway onto the autobarhn? The Evo X seems to have plenty of torque for you anyway so it's all good :)

320nm by 2000rpm?? hahahah a piece of paper can say what it wants.. its what it actually makes on the road what counts...

on paper my gtr makes more torque @ 2000rpm than what my civic makes anywhere in the rev range.. but my civic is much zippier champ.

Papers mean nothing. Real roads is where it counts and the evo doesnt have enough torque downlow despite what ur shitty paper says

Drive one.. i drive them all the time champ. u havent even been in one :)

Oh so your telling me you have driven an evo x? Wow tell me how it was...

How about you read what your talking about, because going by what you have said, your basing these comments on past evos. The evo 9 has a peak torque at 355Nm at 3500rpm, which is 65Nm less than the quoted spec of the evo X. So I suppose I can't say that the evo X will have exactly what the brochure states, but then again neither can you until you have actually drove it :)

evo x might be different.. sure hope so.. but the evo 9 does not make 355nm @ 3500rpm, i guarantee that

go for drive one, and ull see what i mean.

nothin happens till the turbo kicks in @ around 4kish.

funny thread,

m3gtr some of the stuff you have posted is laughable,

mk4 r32 a lard assed pig? explain.

bmw suspension is shithouse compared to any VAG car, stick it on full lock and go over a bump, juttering, the suspension components are made out of what looks like rought iron you'd make fireplace tools out of, heavy and brittle, yet get underneath a new golf and it has a solid cast then milled magnesium alloy subframe, there is no comparison in build quality between a bmw and a VAG car, im not even going to go into the fact it has no quad link front end like the a4's, passats etc, it goes on and on, , just if you want to mention build quality

now dsg, being bmw technology in wolves clothing, are you joking?

firstly the SMG system is a single clutch, its clunky as shit, and works on a different concept and lastly, are you aware that DSG was a joint project between VW and Borg Warner, and bmw have just purchased the technology from them. also bwm seem to be developing something called zeroshift,

http://www.zeroshift.com/transmissions.html

"BMW has bought Borg Warner’s dual clutch transmission (DCT) technology. The world’s best gearbox (known as DSG in Volkswagen/Audi world) will appear in BMW products as early as next year. So who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks? Speak, Rover BMW, speak! "

if you wanna be a bmw fanboy, go for it, but stop filling this thread with misinformation.

my vote is the old RS4, 2000-2001 era

which you can find in nsw with warrenty still on them, sub 80k , they also hold big resale as there was only 25 brought to australia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_RS4

Edited by Jolinator

funny thread,

m3gtr some of the stuff you have posted is laughable,

mk4 r32 a lard assed pig? explain.

bmw suspension is shithouse compared to any VAG car, stick it on full lock and go over a bump, juttering, the suspension components are made out of what looks like rought iron you'd make fireplace tools out of, heavy and brittle, yet get underneath a new golf and it has a solid cast then milled magnesium alloy subframe, there is no comparison in build quality between a bmw and a VAG car, im not even going to go into the fact it has no quad link front end like the a4's, passats etc, it goes on and on, , just if you want to mention build quality

now dsg, being bmw technology in wolves clothing, are you joking?

firstly the SMG system is a single clutch, its clunky as shit, and works on a different concept and lastly, are you aware that DSG was a joint project between VW and Borg Warner, and bmw have just purchased the technology from them. also bwm seem to be developing something called zeroshift,

http://www.zeroshift.com/transmissions.html

"BMW has bought Borg Warner’s dual clutch transmission (DCT) technology. The world’s best gearbox (known as DSG in Volkswagen/Audi world) will appear in BMW products as early as next year. So who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks? Speak, Rover BMW, speak! "

if you wanna be a bmw fanboy, go for it, but stop filling this thread with misinformation.

my vote is the old RS4, 2000-2001 era

which you can find in nsw with warrenty still on them, sub 80k , they also hold big resale as there was only 25 brought to australia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_RS4

misinformation? thats really funny!

hows about a little light reading to highlight my "misinformation"?

so the SMG 2 ( which i voted for over the previous gen. gearbox the SMG 1 ) is a clunky piece of shit is it??

http://www.m3smg.com/

gee, i guess ferrari doesnt know what its on about either then do they?

gear changes in the blink of an eye..thats slow eh?

build quality? come off it.

umm...why then has the m3 been at the top of all performance cars for years and years and years?

i guess these accolades mean jack shit to you..

"BMW M3 a Winner All Round

In 2003 the BMW E46 M3 was acclaimed as Australia’s Best Sportscar over $57,000 for the third year running.

A team of state-based motoring association judges voted the M3 the best of the best in the annual Australia’s Best Cars award.

The ABC awards judge all vehicles available in each category, not just new introductions.

The E46 M3 has made a habit of winning, underlining the enduring driver appeal the high performance M3 offers, not only compared with its would-be rivals but across the entire market for high performance machines. The E46 M3 is no stranger to the winner’s circle, having also scooped the prestigious MOTOR Magazine Performance Car of the Year award in 2002.

It was the first winner ever to secure a unanimous decision from the MOTOR PCOTY judging panel. The E46 M3 was the clear champion over some stiff competition that included two far more expensive Porsche finalists.

The E46 M3 followed its predecessor to the PCOTY title, since the earlier generation E36 M3 won the award in 1997.

The E46 M3’s glorious straight-six engine has also earned substantial international acclaim, voted International Engine of the Year for its capacity class every year since debut, by an international jury of experts from 17 countries."

before you go attempting to shoot down one of the most revered sports cars in history, do your homework and take a reality check.

please oh please tell me why a heavy sub framed, wrought ironed crapily built car could achieve such amazing accolades? While youre at it, also tell me where the golf has achieved anywhere close to the same.

And youve never driven an M3 ave you?

Edited by m3gtr

i'd go the golf r32 for sure,

the competition is only really between the 34 and the r32, and i'd go the 32.

they are such a nice car to drive! and having driven both i pick the r32 for the win!!

only setback is parts and the cost. but the gtr carry's similar problems

Edited by Angus Smart

Can't find the time for a stocker R34 GTR or Evo around the nurburgring but, given the old Cayman S (same motor) is 20 seconds slower than the stock 1995 R33 GTR around the ring (made worse by the fact that tyre technology has come a fair way since) I'd say the povo' boxter is going to have it's ass handed to it. Yes it handles and brakes well, just is underpowered. It needs some Ruff help or something, as you have barely got the oomph of a fairly stock gtst (not a fast car either). A friend owned the previous model of the Boxter S and it's impressive brakes and handling didn't make up for the faggy accelleration and the fact that his car spent an awfull lot of time being fixed at the dealers.

I think I missed the point you are trying to make. How are you not keeping up with traffic? Clearly if you know how to drive you can reach and maintain the speed limit without behaving like a bus? I seem to manage in an old 7 seater deisel 4wd. Are you in Germany with a driveway onto the autobarhn? The Evo X seems to have plenty of torque for you anyway so it's all good :(

This is a sore point for a lot of skyliners however here it goes, there is a lot of doubt as to whether the R33 used to set the record at the nurburgring was a standard car, same goes for the R34 time. I'd personally like to think that they were standard however I and many people have some significant doubts.

Ok so when you were talking about a lack of performance for the boxster you were simply referring to straight line speed. Good to see you acknowledge it as a good handler.

In terms of keeping up with traffic I'm not keen on revving my reasonably loud car to 4,000 - 4,500 rpms just to keep up with falcons etc who easily keep pace with a couple of thousand less revs and a lot less noise. At the end of the day I can easily keep up and pass the majority of traffic however to do so would require a heap of revs and noise. That's where I love my new Golf GTI. it's quiet and with torque building so early it is so much easier to keep up with traffic.

to be honest we have all these cars available in the UK and to be fair i have owned all of them at some point and they are all good vehicles in there own way,i have owned at least 3 of each model at certain times in my life,down to latest and say older versions,the porsche if you want a good reliable car in standard form is fine,good strong engine that in standard form will handle everything you chuck at it,golf r32 had mk4 and mk5 owned them both for about 3 months max ,not that they are that bad good looks but just not fast enough and no real driving skill.Evo,s are very good car very light and handle really well good tunning available out of a 2litre,but expensive servicing every 3500 miles and if you tune them not that reliable in my experiance,then it comes to the skyline,this is not me being a skyline owner,just simple fact that for a good set up ie suspension engine etc you will be hard pushed to find better value for money and still reliable at over 500 bhp, wether its a 32/33/or 34 still a 4 seater with all the refinments looks superb an goes like stink,and you can play with the 1000cc bikes wether its acceleration or top end

i would say though if your buying any of the above and are going to leave it standard,then it will be a flip of a coin between evo or skyline,but if your not then get the 34,

mine has a triple plate os gieken clutch and i drive it on a daily basis,yes its heavey but still drivable but with the standard clutch its no problem as a daily driver,you wont get calf ache lol

best thing do do is dont listen to me or others go test drive both,or look at which one you like the look of most,styling etc then drive it see if you like it!!!

we all have our own opinions ,and so will you when youve made the decision,good luck and i hope you make the correct choice