SAU Community

R30 Fuel Pump Question

wardie

Now it's my turn to be off the road!!!!

Yesterday just as I was on the way to shoot a wedding the R30 just stops. It looks like the Dang F#%^ing fuel pump sh!t itself, right on one of the busiest roundabouts on the Central Coast. No bastard would help push her off the road but plenty had advice what to do with her. Luckily the Bride lived nearby and sent the limo to rescue me whilst the POS spent the night on the median strip.

I've got her home today but it's pissing with rain so I have not been able to get under her to check it out. Called Repco to see what a new pump would cost but the only one they have listed is a "high pressure" replacement for $700+ (WTF).

Does any one know if the pump is serviceable or a sealed unit? Am I going to struggle to get a new one or should I head to the wreckers ASAP?

Thanks

Wardie

Edited by wardie

i know they are pretty easy to replace, as they arent in the tank itself. they are underneath the car above the right cv shaft area.

one from the wreckers could be a quick fix, but keep an eye out for a bosch 040 or similar.

$700 is the most fkn useless qoute to get from repco... fk heads!

even pumps from RB30s are meant to be able to fut... i will find out soon enough!

the r30 pump is external and the r31 pump in internal..

most aftermarket places can get you a good external fuel pump, 500hp+ rated ones, for around $3-400, then any EFI place could put it in for an hours work ($70-90).

$700 just for an r30 pump, thats no incentive to go original

if you don't want a good aftermarket pump now go to a wrecker and get a stocko $50???

The only trouble I ever experienced with my RMR30 at first glance seemed to be the fuel pump, but oncloser inspection was the pressure relief valve.

Malfunction of thePRV caused the pump to malfunction. Check the valve operation

Got some quotes for a standard fuel pump today, they vary from $280 up to $395.

The one Repco quoted me on was a High Output unit.

I'm off to the wreckers tomorrow to see what I can get. Any one know if any other Nissan/Datsun models have the same unit or compatible?

66yostagea - when I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump relay clicking in but the pump does not run

Wardie

Got some quotes for a standard fuel pump today, they vary from $280 up to $395.

The one Repco quoted me on was a High Output unit.

I'm off to the wreckers tomorrow to see what I can get. Any one know if any other Nissan/Datsun models have the same unit or compatible?

66yostagea - when I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump relay clicking in but the pump does not run

Wardie

I got a couple of pumps here at home. One is from an L24 and one from a rb30et. The L24 one is pretty new, i changed it a couple years back but removed it for a larger pump. Let me know if you want either one.

Thanks for the offer skybt1 but I got to get her on the road by Wed so I'll be off to the wreckers early tomorrow.

So I should look for a VL Commie pump as well. Are they cheaper new? Anything that is Nissan and Skyline seems to attract a premium price from everyone.

Wardie

This guy has the standard vl pump (non genuine) for $105 or genuine for $145, but if you need it by wednesday you may be out of luck, unless you need it FOR wednesday then if it gets expressed tomorrow you should see it in time.

Back on the road!!!

2nd hand pump from a R30 sedan $70 but I managed to get thrown in for nix 2 x idler pulleys for the A/C and Power steering belts, 1 x washer pump and best of all a complete set of original skyline wheel centre covers in good condition (quoted at $50 last time I was there).

I'm happy again!

Wardie

• 2 months later...

Earlier someone said Bosch 040.....that's a negative, its a internal pump. for the R30 a 044 is needed.

Matty T: do you have any pics of your R30 rally car??? Very interested to see what you've done.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry o/t. shit man just saw it, that sounds ace set up. no idea u were building up a DR!

wanna have a look at it 1 day so can work out wtf is goin on with mine! dr30 chassis number but all L series gear in it lol...

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the offer skybt1 but I got to get her on the road by Wed so I'll be off to the wreckers early tomorrow.

So I should look for a VL Commie pump as well. Are they cheaper new? Anything that is Nissan and Skyline seems to attract a premium price from everyone.

Wardie

I replaced my fuel pump on my R30 when it died without notice with one from a VL. It was easy to get & I think cost around $300