SAU Community

Hard Pip Kit

BROCKDOE

Tryna suss a hard pipe kit for the 33GTST. Any one know a ball park figure and probs best place to suss one?

alsooo lookin at sectioning my air intake from the rest of the engine bay jus to stop prevent runnin hot under hood air through it. Whats ideas on that?!icon2.gif

Cheers icon6.gif

Brock

The N/A intake pipe is very different to the turbo one. On the NA its prob best to leave the intake piping alone and just get a high flow panel filter or if you like a pod with a cold air in take. By changing the intake pipe you are losing the box that is connected to the pipe. This box is there for two reasons.

1. To quiet down induction noise. (who really cares)

2. It is a box that has been made with a calculated volume to give best response. In other words, this box fills up and holds air really close to your engine so as soon as its needed, its right there and doesn't need to pass through the filter etc.

The second reason will tell you that changing your intake pipe will actually decrease your response.

I do agree though. A nice stainless pipe would look much better :D but it unfortunately comes with a negative result

Ah cheers,

sigh, i was looking forward to a nice shiney pipe.

mates have got commodores and the like and say it flows better than the plactice pipe..

but didnt take into account that box thing that looks like a block of chocolate.

Im running a pod atm but i need some sort of housing as it's just sucking in hot air from the engine bay,

would it be better to buy one of those plastic shield things you see at supercheap or to try and re-route the piping to the front of your kit someplace?

:D

The second reason will tell you that changing your intake pipe will actually decrease your response.

That apply for Turboed too???

Also my mate that works for nissan says the hard pipe will give you a nicer flutter too, is thus truue?

Cheeersicon6.gif

That apply for Turboed too???

Also my mate that works for nissan says the hard pipe will give you a nicer flutter too, is thus truue?

Cheeers

Its not the same for turbo models. You'll notice tiurbo models don't even have this box at all. The reason for this is a turbo provides forced induction. This means that the response is forced. While there may be lag before the turbo spools, the response is a lot bigger when a turbo is forcing air down the intake pipe.

Any change to your intake will change the sound of the flutter, bov and induction noise. It all comes down to preference I guess

Ah cheers,

sigh, i was looking forward to a nice shiney pipe.

mates have got commodores and the like and say it flows better than the plactice pipe..

but didnt take into account that box thing that looks like a block of chocolate.

Im running a pod atm but i need some sort of housing as it's just sucking in hot air from the engine bay,

would it be better to buy one of those plastic shield things you see at supercheap or to try and re-route the piping to the front of your kit someplace?

I agree, the shiney piping looks hot, but not worth while in this case. Have a look at a stocko commodore intake pipe and then compare it to the aftermarket one your friend has. The intake setup on a commodore is totally different to an RB.

Definately get a cold air intake for your pod. It will make a big difference. Some people have even said their performance drops by having a pod open in the engine bay and went back to the stock air box. A cold air intake will fix this. Get something made from stainless. It will sheild the heat much better than a plastic sheild. And piping to the front of your kit would be good too.

You will notice indents under your air filter that look like they forgot to cut two holes. This is where the turbo models piping for their side mount intercoolers run through. You can cut a hole there to feed your air filter.