SAU Community

What Tyres To Purchase

johnr

Noticed today that the latest Wheels magazine has a tyre test. Falken FK452 came a close second to some Goodyears I think. The tyres were 17's from memory, but it confirmed my theory that the Falken's were a great tyre for the money.

the winner was most likey the one who advertise's with them most!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody recommend any places that sell tyres for cheap in Sydney?

Beaurepaires in Parramatta seems abnormally expensive! I got quoted (245/45/18) 450 a corner for dunlop sports max! and my bridgestone potenzas 520!?

doesnt seem right.

yeh mate that is a big ass rort

i got my Dunlop Sport Maxx 265/30/19 for $350 each

AGR Tyres in sefton. you REALLY need to haggle them downnnn

yeh mate that is a big ass rort

i got my Dunlop Sport Maxx 265/30/19 for $350 each

AGR Tyres in sefton. you REALLY need to haggle them downnnn

265/30/19 is a bit too small ? is that for the rear, or are you putting it on the front ?

best one not to throw your speedo off would either be 265/35r19 or 275/35r19

265/30/19 is a bit too small ? is that for the rear, or are you putting it on the front ?

best one not to throw your speedo off would either be 265/35r19 or 275/35r19

they were for the front

i have 295/30/19 on the rear

• 1 year later...

Further to my comments above, while the Falken FK452's gripped well, they don't last very long. Lasted 20,000km on the rear, including one track day. Second hand Bridgestone RE40's that had already done 15000km, have lasted another 15000km, so they definately last longer, however, they are unbelievably noisy on the front. I got out to check that they hadn't been put on the wrong way, as they sounded like the All Terrain tyres on my wife's 4wd.

Would be interested to hear of any other Tyre reports now that you have had them on for a while?

anyone tried Bridgestone RE050A or the Adrenalin?

iam using adrenalin and both thumbs up for it!...and its much better in wet and cornering compare to what i had from the dealer - Dunlop some shxt...

FYI, Costco also selling it at a really good price for 17" and 18"s~

I've got Yokohama Advan sport V103 all round. Very high grip & low wear factor but pretty quite on tarmac. I selected them out of the available "performance" tyres due to reports of their low noise. The Michelin PS2 are without doubt the winner for low road noise but are also one of the most expensive, V103 cost me $2800 for all 4 & that's as low as I could get them. If I can afford to I'd get them again.

If not I'll look at some Nitto, Vredestein or Khumo.

I had KU31s on my car, they were fine, not the grippiest tyres but also not the worst. Treadwear was OK, had too much toe-out so killed the fronts fairly quickly. In my past experiences, from a grip perspective...

Bridgestone S03 > Hankook K107 > Hankook K110 > stock tyre > Kumho KU31 > Nankang NS2

Don't ever buy Nankang NS2...they were an experiment in tight-arsedness that won't ever be repeated again.

Yep, Nankang NS-II are horrible. I couldn't wait to get rid of the set that was on my car.

Ended up with kumho KU19s on the rear, $300 each for 275/30/20. Pretty good value, i think. No problems with the grip levels (for a street tyre) and they are a fair bit quieter than the nankangs. The only issue may be tyre wear but we'll see how it goes.

• 3 months later...

Put my silvia rims onto the v35 which had Federal 595ss (235/40/18) and they're noisy as! Nonetheless, gripped well and lasted 30,000 so far and still just under 50% tread left. Will be changing tyres I think, because I don't think I can bare the 4wd noise much longer (never realised how noisy they were in the silva!!!)...

Will go for the taller 45 tyre, but just deciding on a quiet, hard wearing tyre...

are u replacing just a pair or all 4??

whatever u get, id suggest going back to 225/45 and 245/45 18" just to get the correct ratio that ur car computer is going to be happy with.

My import arrived with Yoko Decibels. Tread was down and I wanted top replace them, but with what? Did some research and spoke to some tyre places. The Yoko was quiet (hence the name) but Expensive! Ended up running with the Toyo T1R. Not quite as expensive, quiet and holds to the road well. Done 2,000Klm on them now and very happy.

For what it's worth at this late point in the thread.