SAU Community

What Tyres To Purchase

johnr

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Well it's time to get new tyres again (for the rear only thank god).

Currently running Kumho KU31 - 275/30/R19

The tyre place has given me the option of a few (all 275/30/R19):

- Toyo T1R: $500 per tyre, fitted & balanced

- B/Stone RE001 - waiting on quote

- Kumho KU19 - $370 per tyre, fitted & balanced

- Kumho KU31 - $345 per tyre, fitted & balanced

These prices seemed to be better than what I was getting through a wholesaler.

I've been told the RE001s and the T1Rs won't last me long but just grip like all hell and I'd probably never exploit the true potential of those tyres by driving on normal roads. (running -2 rear camber)

I'm leaning towards the KU19's. Any thoughts?

cheers

Hi guys,

Well it's time to get new tyres again (for the rear only thank god).

Currently running Kumho KU31 - 275/30/R19

The tyre place has given me the option of a few (all 275/30/R19):

- Toyo T1R: $500 per tyre, fitted & balanced

- B/Stone RE001 - waiting on quote

- Kumho KU19 - $370 per tyre, fitted & balanced

- Kumho KU31 - $345 per tyre, fitted & balanced

These prices seemed to be better than what I was getting through a wholesaler.

I've been told the RE001s and the T1Rs won't last me long but just grip like all hell and I'd probably never exploit the true potential of those tyres by driving on normal roads. (running -2 rear camber)

I'm leaning towards the KU19's. Any thoughts?

cheers

I blew a tyre on Saturday... same size as yours but I got my Kuhmos for $270 @ Tempe Tyres.

I blew a tyre on Saturday... same size as yours but I got my Kuhmos for $270 @ Tempe Tyres.

For KU19s? If so that is an excellent price. The KU19's are 2 weeks out of Melbourne (i.e. none in WA) so he's put in a back-order - should be in Perth by around mid-Oct.

Are Tyres generally cheaper for you lot on the East Coast? A lot of stuff seems to be a bit pricier in WA :mad: . But not by the margin between what you paid and what I got quoted

• 6 months later...

Dunno if I should be bringing up this old thread again or not - wondering if anyone can tell me the wear rating for the Kumho KU31?

Also, has anyone ever tried Continental ContiPremiumContact or ContiSportContact tyres?

bought "Rotalla" chinese tyres from fleabay.... $90 each plus 15 delivery.... 19's for less than $500 a set and worth every cent. quiet too.

have had experience with simex in the past (on road and wet race) and can recommend those aswell...

Dunno if I should be bringing up this old thread again or not - wondering if anyone can tell me the wear rating for the Kumho KU31?

Also, has anyone ever tried Continental ContiPremiumContact or ContiSportContact tyres?

I have the ContiSportContact 2 on the front and they're pretty grippy. Much less understeer compared to previous jap spec Bridgestone Regno tyres and noise is minimal.

Anyone out there have the Potenza RE050A and how long they typically last?

I'm running the the re05a currently on the standard 19'' wheels. So far I've done about 30k kms on them and theres maybe 30% left? this is with daily driving and the odd spirited run.

great tyre, just a tad expensive..

I'm currently running the RE050A - I think they were brand new when I got the car but can't be 100% on that. Anyhow, done a tad over 30k km on them, maybe 34k max, and they're worn out.

Have ordered the Continental PremiumContact 2 which are going on tonight. Will let you know how they go.

• 8 months later...

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE50A on all four wheels.

They came with the car when I imported it.

The car had 14xxxkm on it and now 57000km (almost), so 43000kms I've driven. The rear's have about 10% left, and the front tyres have about 50-60% left,

I didn't like the wet grip on the bridgestone RE50A, the rear loses slight traction if I hit a lane marker (or a similar small bump) above 80km/h, and slightly scary at acceleration going up hill, if pushed above 4800rpm in 2nd gear the rear loses traction in the wet but I guess that is natural... This happened before I installed plenum spacer + z-tube

But dry traction is SUPERB ! Braking in the wet is also very good :)

I think I will try Kumho KU31 for my rears. I want to sell my car so I don't want to spend too much, but I still want decent tyres for safety reasons.

My car comes with i think the stock Bridgestone Potenza. Anyone know how good they are compared to those tyres mentioned here? Thanks!

Have my new RE002 for 2weeks now, good grip and less noise than my ex-Korean tyre-KUMHO, $$ of mine is not bad! $250 each for a set inc alignment and balance...

Have my new RE002 for 2weeks now, good grip and less noise than my ex-Korean tyre-KUMHO, $$ of mine is not bad! $250 each for a set inc alignment and balance...

Wow that is very cheap!! Where did u get that price and what size?

For that price try looking at Nitto Invo's which are comparable to Yokohama V103 for grip but much quieter and longer tread life.

PM Taleb tyres ( Ali) who is a forum sponsor.

Wow that is very cheap!! Where did u get that price and what size?

It's a great bargain from the Bridgestone shop in Brisbane! I choose most common size for 4 wheels, 235/45/17 to fit my Nissan OEM wheels.

The package is also included puncture free warranty and rotation after sales service.

Nice price. What size Leon?

245/45/18 - same size as most M35 guys are running. To be exact, they were $189 + $15 delivery, which I thought was good enough for me to give them a try. If they don't wear as good as I hope, then it's not like a paid $300 each. Other choices from local suppliers were either rubbish lesser quality than I like or too expensive - often both, lol.

Edited by Commsman