SAU Community

Dead Coil Pack

Ouch..!!

Maybe it is the "trigger" to the coil-pack that is holding current to the coil for too long.?

Saw it on a Trans-am last week. It was the module, which fried the coil pack at the same time.... Or Nissan DID get the right coil??

There the right coils... It may well be the trigger from the computer, they dont run an igniter like older skylines.. If it fries another one ill be taking it down the coast to use a mates oscillascope and comfirm it is the trigger.

If it is the trigger i pretty much have no clue where to go from there..

I think... it will be driven from the ECU, but not entirely sure tbh.

I have been looking at one prob on a Lexus, which has done the same, so we are borrowing a ECU to prove the point.

One note tho.. is that if the HT side is shorted to ground,, i.e. not got a gap to jump, it will fry the primary side.

The LT side runs usually around 0.7ohms, so current drain will be high. Have a look to see how much it is actually taking via a scope or decent DVM every pulse.

Well last night it started firing on 5 again so i headed to the workshop with my wanna be wrx and i got just round the corner again and it lost all power...

On further inspection it had blistered the side out of EVERY coil pack! Im thinking it has suffered from some sort of monumental ECU failure...

What to do next is a beyond me.. how to source a computer and then get someone to program it to match the BCM codes is a little beyond me and i think just about anyone else in AUS...

Im pretty much at a loss... thats 1200 dollars worth of coils in one go... not to mention the 4 ive already replaced... To say im not happy would be an understatement...

Does anyone do a full stand alone ECU for them? i could most probably by pass the BCM..

If not it may be V8 time...

Any suggestions??

I can probably get a hold of a TurboXS full replacement ECU. Apparantly it was running on my car before I brought it (to tune in the NOS) but at the moment I think its kicking around the garage. I could ask what my mate wants for it?

JK

I can probably get a hold of a TurboXS full replacement ECU. Apparantly it was running on my car before I brought it (to tune in the NOS) but at the moment I think its kicking around the garage. I could ask what my mate wants for it?

JK

Mate that would be unreal if u could... i actually purchased one of ebay over a month ago, but it never arrived and im currently making a claim through paypal to try and get my money back... but yeah mate that would be awesome.

I got my mechanic to talk to Matty Spry from Pitts today (he tunes my race car), he said that S15's seem to suffer similar problems with a very similar coil... something to do with the dwell time being to long and over charging the coils.. solution he offered was to use some bosch style coils and wire in a igniter module of an earlier model skyline... but yeah i dunno...

Lars!! yeah mate im stoked it survived through skid pan!! its had coil dramas for probably 4 or 5 weeks now.. never killed them all at once though... has ur skid pan day been filled yet matey?