SAU Community

Dead Coil Pack

Hmm interesting, the shit a coil pack tonight with only 20,000km's seems a bit odd, could just be a coincidence, cant find any info on forums were it seems to be a common problem. Has anyone heard of this hapening? Hope nissan AU stock them, otherwise it might be easier to get some out of the states...

Just cruising in 4th at ~60k's and it dropped a cylinder and turned into wrx... pulled over straight away, gave a quick check of all the vaccume lines disconnected the battery and reset the ECU, started it up and it went fine for about 5 mins, got just around the corner from the workshop and same thing again...

Narrowed the coil pack down and moved it to the opposite bank and the problem went with it so i knew it was the coil pack... 200 dollars ex melbourne from nissan should be here tomorrow, bit of mission though. wouldnt think a car with a "claimed" 20k on it should do that...

its easy to fast track coil failure by flicking your car to the on position without running the car for long lengths of time. the coils charge up but don't get to discharge the spark.

No they were just standards and couldnt track down ne aftermarket ones quickly (if they exist) without going to a MSD DIS ignition system like what i have on the race car and dont have the money for that right now...

Problem was fixed for 20mins, got rounf the corner from my house and same thing again.... Pulled codes out of it 3510 - Cant find anything for that one... 1103 - Map Sensor Heater (not ignition related...) and 1130 - Swirl Control Valve Control Solenoid Valve (whatever that is, but im fairly certain its also not ignition related), a little worried the ecu may for some reason shitting itself... not real happy atm...

It was a week out of warranty :thumbsup:

Took it too nissan and there scanner could talk to it...

Put the 3rd coil back in today after checking the power and eart and trigger wires to the coil, added an extra earth just to be on the safe side... And it was running super fuely, Tested AFM voltages and one was a bit sus... After i put the pop charger on, when ever it rained heavy the car would actually ingest a little water... im thinking this may have lead to the AFM mis reading... fueling the car up, foulding a plug and finally melting a coil back due to the extra resitance... and thus killing the second one...

Now with a new set of plugs and new coil the car has a miss that seems to be moving around.... and is very very fuely...

3 coils, a set of plugs and a new afm... this is turning out to be a fairly expensive adventure...

Yeah pretty much, I dont know if it had nething to do with the aftermarket front bar, or not but the pod filter definately wont be going back on....

Yeah im pretty sure its the same plug, if this afm doesnt sort it out tomorrow would you be keen to try it out for a carton or similar?

Ok what a mission!! But it seems to be fixed for now...

Finally replaced the AFM after nissan ordered the wrong one... Started the car, still missing... Took it for a drive to try clear it out and no change... Took all the plugs out only to find that one of the brand new ones that were supplied had the gap completely closed up... (i was frustrated when i put them in, usually i would check that sort of thing..) replaced that plug cleaned all the others as the car was running mega rich. And went and cained the ringhole out of it to see if anything would fail again... So far it held up to that and the drive home.

So hopefully all is well...

I feel for you man! I havent had any issues with mine yet (50k) but im putting my Vortech kit on next month so hopefully I dont have too many issues cause I brought a new(ish) car for a reason!

JK

Well were now onto coil pack number 4 after today.. same one... no. 2 coil pack melted with side all blistered out.... I think nissan jynxed it by accidentally sending me an extra 2 coil packs today... I have now completely re wired the ignition loom...

If it dies again it can only be computer related... which could turn into a bit of a nightmare... fingers crossed its stays good... who knows... the last one survived a skid pan and about a 1000km's... go figure..