SAU Community

50mm Alloy Radiator

fatz

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure to check if there is a voltage in the coolant, else it wont last too long.

How?

You need a multimeter set it to Voltage DC, with the car running put the negative test lead to the chassis(better to the neg of the battery). Put the positive lead into your coolant via where the cap is, be careful that its only submerged into coolant and that its not touching no metal. If you get a reading > 0.3VDC you have a problem and the radiator wont last very long.

If you get a reading over 0.3VDC make sure you replace your coolant, try the test again after replacement.

Grounding the radiator wont cure the problem! You need to find the faulty circuit which is inducing the stray voltage. Start removing fuses until you find the voltage drop, then its a matter of adding a bigger ground for the found bad circuit.

Try googling "aluminum radiator electrolysis" if you are after more information.

• 2 weeks later...
*You will need to go to supercheap and buy 3 copper washers for the temp sensor.

Ok a bit confused here. I had my alloy radiator fitted several months ago and I didn't need any washers. In fact, there was nothing connected to the radiator other than top and bottom hoses. weren't any holes in the new rad either for a temp sensor to slide into.

anyone care to shed some light?

also, car takes a VERY long time to warm up in the morning. temp hits normal after a good 5km of driving, so about 15 minutes. is this normal? i have a nismo cap on it (1.3 bar).

Ok a bit confused here. I had my alloy radiator fitted several months ago and I didn't need any washers. In fact, there was nothing connected to the radiator other than top and bottom hoses. weren't any holes in the new rad either for a temp sensor to slide into.

anyone care to shed some light?

also, car takes a VERY long time to warm up in the morning. temp hits normal after a good 5km of driving, so about 15 minutes. is this normal? i have a nismo cap on it (1.3 bar).

Think his talking about the water coolant temp sensor located just after the end of the top radiator hose (engine side).

Don't understand why you would need washers there.