SAU Community

The Sa Wasteland

Cubes

lookin after a tropical tank is easy peasy just need a good filter, i bought my fluval fx5 about a year ago and only changed the water every 6 months and fish still happy =D just remember to feed the fishes thats all you need to worry about.

Yeah if you do it right you can pretty much have the aquariums look after themselves.

I had tanks for 15 odd years before I moved into my old place and havent bothered to set another one up...

Best advice is to get a powerhead and attach it to an undergravel filter, and then get some hardy fish in to start the bacteria culture up... add the plants and stones and what not, and give it at least a month before putting the really expensive fish in...

Livebearers (guppies, platys, mollies) are pretty tough, you can use fighting fish (bettas) as well since theyre from cambodian bogs and have the ability to breathe oxygen from the air... just make sure when you get an aquarium you plan the mixture of fish. Nothing worse than putting an angelfish or a red tailed black shark in and have them bully every other fish in the aquarium... get some docile fish like bumblebees or kuhli loaches, some catfish to keep the gravel clean of uneaten food and a couple of golden snails to eat algae (or a bristle nosed catfish)... you'll have a nice lookin' tank in no time

just dont skimp on the plant life or the equipment

-d

My dad has had his tropical fish tank up and running i reckon for atleast most of my life. Hes gone through two fishtanks...both 4 foot ones. His original one broke, he tried to save some of the fish by putting them in a plastic tub...only fish that lived was a clown loach (this was like 10 years ago maybe??) and that clown loach is still alive today - bloody hardy fish.

He's also gone through his fair share of discus - love the fish but keep seeming to have trouble with them dying. He recently had some weird disease with his discus, killed 4 of em :)

And since then hes bought another 5, one of em which liked to chase all the others so hes got it seperate in a clear plastic box thing in the tank haha.

But yeah dads got clown loaches, cardinal tetras, a few of the guppies from my tropical fishtank on my bedside table ;) , congo tetras and a shitload of bristlenosed catfish cos they had babies :P

My lil 22lt tank is currently down cos with year 12 i don't get the chance to change the water....but dad changes his every week - 40%. Trying to keep those bloody expensive discus alive. But yeah, after year 12 i'll have it going again....dad suggested getting a breeding pair of cichlids....so we'll see how that goes. :(

Anyway...just thought i'd share - some people are REALLY sto0pid....fail??

post-52528-1225090031_thumb.jpg

i was never into fish but once i started with a small 1 foot tank for my bday i never went back, started of with lil 'neons' , angel fish, lil cat fish, upgraded to 3 foot than 4 foot and now i have a 6 foot lol

p.s if anyone know where i can buy a red arowana LET ME KNOW!!! ill pay good money ^_^

for people that dont know looks like this.. i got the silver version but red looks 10000x better

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=wkUMd75BBiw&...feature=related

*groan* Went bike browsing at lunchtime today ...

Now I wanna sell my MV F4 Brutale ...

MVAgustaBrutale0.jpg

$20,990 (retail)

101 rwkw

96 Nm

185 kg

257 kph max speed

(which has lots of carbon bits, Ohlins suspension, PCIIIr ecu, crash protection and full hi-flow system)

And get this ... an MV F4 1000

MvAgusta.jpg

$26,990 (retail)

122 rwkw

109 Nm

192kg

301 kph max speed

Both bikes have engines designed and built by Ferrari (F4 = Ferrari 4 cylinder) *drool*

:)

Bah i like the new model with the 1078cc engine.