SAU Community

Stock Exhaust - Is The Gtr Better Than The Gtst

benl1981

Hi there,

I have heard people making high awkw on the GTRs with stock exhausts.

I'm aiming for 240rwkw with my rb25 - currently 3" turbo to cat --> 3" catco cat -->3.5" catback (kakimoto)

Its not real loud but would like to quieten it further. Would a GTR catback fit? How much power would this rob?

The kakimoto already has 2 mufflers.

Anyone have first hand experience?

thanks

Keep the current one

What most people do for stock exhaust 2.25" GTS-t round 2.75" for a GTR

is replace it form the catback, GTR/GTS-t catbacks are the same, it's only the front pipe which is different.

Your 3.5" exhaust is definitely large enough for the power goals you are chasing, even a 3" would do for that power :)

Edited by skybarge

is the kakimoto the JASMA one? thats the one i have and it purs just nicely if you want quieter than that you need a cup of harden the f*k up! :) most people think mine sounds stock till you over 5k

I have a 33 GTR with a stock exhaust. It's pretty awful. it's very tiny, heavy and restrictive. It's one of the things nissan used in order to keep the power under the 206kw agreement. They were quite smart though. They used reasonable dumps, pretty good front pipes (on GTR) and a good cat, then put a strangling exhaust on it, becuase of this a modifier can reap a much bigger than normal gain when changing cat back exhaust on a GTR. thanks nissan :)

Thanks Beerbaron - sounds like its not a good idea then.

Daniel - Yeah I have the Jasma one. It is pretty good but around 2000rpm cruising it is a little dronny..not much though. Its actually quieter at 4000rpm.

mine is the same, I'm currently looking for ways to quieten it right down.

pay the exhaust man $1k plus and you will have a quite + free flowing exhaust.its all in the type of mufflers you use.

or you could stick with your current setup and just throw a silencer in the exhaust tip.or yopu could buy an apexi exhaust valve (which sits in place of a flange gasket i think).which can be remotely activated from within the cabin via a lever and cable setup.

• 1 month later...

consider using thicker wall mild steel pipe. in my experience it definately cuts down some of the resonance and 'drone' and helps mute the note a little too. thin walled stainless pipe is always loud and resonates a lot.

Thanks Beerbaron. Might make up a 3" in MSteel modelling my kakimoto.

Does anyone know exactly what the GTR Cat back size is?

Is it 2.75 or 2.5" ?? Is it in fact bigger than the GTST?

I was thinking of keeping 3" Dump/front --> 3" Cat ---> GTR Standard 2.75? Cat to rear muffler (chop and weld on flange) ---> Kakimoto rear muffler.

Cheap way to see if quietens it down while still making ok power.

Anyone got a GTR cat back (minus muffler for $20? hahah)

trust me the stock GTR catback may be better than the GTST one, but it's no great shakes. I'm not sure if it's 2.5 or 2.75 but I'd say 2.5 if I had to guess. plus it has lots of bends as it follows the body fairly closely. It is fairly easy to make an exhaust that flows as good as the stock one, yet makes more power. as I said the standard GTR exhaust is made partly to keep power out put down, not up!