SAU Community

A Blue Flame?

lteh

hey all,

i jus went on a run up dandy for the first time and all was fine the car felt real good apart from alot of popping due to the car running MEGA rich.

on the way home i decided to gun it, apparently my mates saw that i blew a flame but it wasnt like a normal orange flame. they described it as a blue flame that just stayed in the exhaust and after it happened apparenlty ash or some shit started flying out. my car never blows flames it just pops and black smoke comes out due to the richness. my cat is shot to shit and might as well be gutted so im wondering if when it dumped ash out if it was just a whole lot of carbon build up or maybe something more serious?

also when we stopped at maccas i realised my stock oil pressure gauge was reading really low and nearly resting on the bottom and when i reved it it would go up a smidgen but never to anything higher than 2. ive read on here that factory gauges are notorious for oil pressure so im just hoping to settle my nerves by seeking you guy's advice. the car feels fine and almost the same as b4 when the pressure was normal. now im just paranoid as a i dont want to throw one out of number 6..

oh btw, the car is an r32 gts t rb20det, with full exhaust, panel filter. and otherwise might as well be stock. however the rev limiter and speed limiter is no longer on because thats the way i got the car when it was imported..

Edited by lteh

Since you revved it when the car was stationary, there wasnt any load, so the oil pressure wouldn't have gone up much more than 2 anyway.

Have you looked at the oil pressure when the engine is under load, ie. accelerating?

My guess would be you blew some of the cat's internals out, especially since you said the car feels/ sounds fine.

firstly.. i'd check for an aftermarket ECU in there, you never know - alot of people have imported what they thought were standard cars and got something completely different.

get the car tuned and you'll get rid of the richness problem which will stop it from igniting in your exhaust.

rb oil pressure gauges arent very accurate. get a mechanical gauge on there to check your oil pressure.

You probably copped low oil pressure because you were thrashing it through dandy, or using alot of high revs, that would make it go lower than usual because the oil is hotter blah blah.

Using good engine oil?

your exhaust sounds pretty hot to blow blue flames, just a guess your cat is completly gutted and its not lowering exhaust temps and cos its rich yeh it ignites cos its so hot, turbo exhaust gases get pretty darn hot, especially the down pipe

what pressure is it at man? i think mine used to sit under 40psi at idle and 40psi on hwy, depends on oil weight as well.

Edited by BANGN

thanks for the responses everyone.

the car seems to be running pretty much back to normal now i think it was just a case of paranoia. im planning on getting a tune after a save up for my new turbo then i will get everything done.

the car didnt drop any oil and there are no leaks anywhere so i think it is just what femno said abotu the hotter oil.

thanks heaps