SAU Community

squeeking noise on startup

Guest barneyrubble

Guest barneyrubble

ZAHOS Hey whats up i get that noise too

the squeeking first thing in the morning

ive had the car for about 7 mths + now it only just started

it sounds to me to be one of the belts perhaps the a/c or alternator. It pisses me off though.

Any one experienced the same. and fixed it

Guest Initiate

The GTST has 3 belts: fan, cam and power-steering. If any one of these is not the correct fit, the squeeking sound is the result.

On mine, it's the power-steering belt. It's slightly longer than the stock one due to the fact that my mechanic couldn't find a proper replacement in time.

The sound on my car goes away after a while though. I plan to rectify it at my next service.

Yeah, I narrowed it down to one of those too! Once I had realised that, it didnt bother me anymore... I mean sure the noise gets on my nerves, but knowing that it's not really anything serious draws my attention away from fixing the problem...

barneyrubble: Does yours happen every time you start the car, or only when the weather is cold - ie: early morning? Thats the only time it happens for me, otherwise throughout the rest of the day it wont do it, and it is only when I start the prick!

Cam: Did your bearings seize completely on the AC compressor? As in - it was squeeling continuously?

Zahos

Zahos

You lazy lil devil, just fix it NOW:lol: :lol:

The bearing was fine one day then the next morning there was this little squeek that sounded like a rattle then it got worse then really loud and very embarrasing at the lights????

When I removed it you could hardly spin it in your fingers it was very bad. Lucky I had a spare one.

It is a good idea to fix it because.....

1. Pulley will seize and stop spinning completely.

2. Belt will continue to go over the pulley causing friction.

3. Belt will melt and come off.

4. Belt will get caught in power steering and or fan belt.

5. Both those belts will get dislodged.

6. You loose power steering.

7. Engine cooks

P.s. If you have removed the cam gear cover then there is a fair chance that the timing belt will get dislodged as well causing the valves to smash into the pistons and destroy your engine.

But then again that isn't too bad so just leave it if you like. Oh and by the way all that would happen in about 30 seconds once the pulley seizes completely. :D :lol: :D

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGG :D

Dont put it like that, b/c I still can't be stuffed :D , but I kinda feel obliged to fix it now.... WAIT! I have an idea... just cut the AC belt off! this requires only minimal effort, and problem solved!

What do I need to do? Can I just get bearings, or do I have to get the pulley as well? Some wreckers are pricks and make you buy the whole thing!

Is there an equivalent car I can grab this off, or it doesn't really matter???

Zahos

I found that I could remove the pulley and then tuck the belt up and out of the way of the other belts while I fixed it (hold in place with zip tie). I drove around like this for a day and all was good. You can't replace the bearing secton only as it is a sealed type so just buy the pulley from a wrecker. It is cold enough at the moment to do without the a/c but you WILL want it in summer, so get into it this weekend. Once you have the pulley (If it is that which is broken, so remove it first and check for a smooth spin) then its just a 5 minute job, you don't even need a jack/stands/hoist just park the car over the edge of a gutter or something.

Still too much effort...

If you want to know the extent of my lazyness, I once watched a show that I couldn't stand for over 30 mins b/c I couldn't be stuffed changing the channel! The worst part about it is that I was holding the remote in my hand, but b/c I was so comfortable I didnt want to move!

Anyhow, I'll check it tommorow I guess :D

Thanks Cam

Originally posted by BOOSTMEISTER

Oh my goodness.....you ARE lazy, bet you type with two fingers don't you:uh-huh:  

I tell you what I'll do, 'll drive down next week and fix it for you.  How bout that?  Should only take 12 hours or so:D

Tell me when you are coming though, I dont want to be sleeping and miss out on it... otherwise I might have to do it myself :eek:

Hey if you want more examples of how lazy I am:

- One time (at band camp) I went to the gym, and as soon as I goth there I pulled up a nice comfy bench (the adjustable type) and had a 20 min nap :D

- Another time at work, I sat in a desk facing a corner, loaded a page up on the PC with SH*T loads of tiny text, put my elbows on the table, my chin in my hands and had a 30 min nap...

aaaahhhhhh....

Naps feel much more relaxing when you're being paid for them :)

And unfortunatly, being a code monkey means i have to type with more than 2 fingers! :D

So when r u coming???

Guest sir_GTR

Oh shiet, same as my GTR, has been doing it for the last 2 weeks,

Usually in the mornings or when the eng is cold, no problem when the car is warm though

Better get it checked out, one friend said b/c one of the belts is loose? can i grease the belts?, usually the squeaking sound is due to old hardened belts (loosing the elasticity)

I had the exact same problem after I got my belts changed I sprayed Wd40 on the alternator pulley no fix cause that's where the noise was coming from and it couldn't be the belts cause they're brand new, mind you by this stage I was cursing had no idea what it was. I was about to go and purchase a pulley and I had a thought to adjust the tension and it payed off the tension was wrong on the belt which caused it to slip I was quite proud of myself for solving the problem as i'm no mechanic it was a tricky but I'm happy i got no squeling now

I've allready considered that, but now I dont think that is the problem at all. In fact, I dont even know if it is comming from the belts / pulleys at all now! I got off my lazy ass and had a look on the weekend, and my diagnosis was inconclusive... (ooo big words)

Anyhow, perhaps I was a little vauge when describing the problem, but the noise i get is not one long squeel, and it wont even sqeel when i rev it when cold. The sqeeks i get are 2 - 4 short sqeeks, each only a fraction of a second long...

hmmm.. I wonder if it could be the thrust bearing... I still get the sqeeking noise from my clutch so I know that the thrust bearing definately needs greasing.

Has any1 had this problem at all?????

Guest barneyrubble

Hey guys sorry bout the delay dont connect that often, it does only happen on cold starts like in the morning for a very short time only like only a couple of squeeks,

ill check the tensions then the belts and bearing then see what happens from there thanks for the help though.