SAU Community

Evolution 7 Vs 1996 R33 Gtr?

bigcarl

I bought my Skyline there, he is pretty honest with you, get the car from Sam the owner tell him Joe Ozturk recommended him.

havent had any problems with my skyline its been a real good vehicle

personally if your not going to drive it often I'd go the GTR for the prestiege,

think im leaning more towards a newer 4 door car,like the evo 7. has anyone had any dealings with jap link motors in sydney?they seem to have a few nice wellpriced cars there forsale?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My my 91 Liberty RS with over 300K kms on the clock.

I will take the $30K you are looking to spend.

it has 4 doors. :)

Tommo makes good points.

But he has owned a NON B-TAK honda in the past so make of that what you will :D

yes , the gtr is the king! but i want something a little newer that i can drive around more. ive been dealing with sami through the email , he has two evo 7s on special at the moment. one black one with 42klms auction grade 4 and a silver one grade 4.5 with 34klms. both cars reduced from $34k to $30k, what do you guys think? i tried to negotiate a little lower but he won't budge on price. he assured me that both cars are not accident repaired and if price is all iam worried about then that is what i will end up with. because there doesnt seem to be red book or glass's guide to what these things are worth what do you guys think?

Tommo makes good points.

But he has owned a NON B-TAK honda in the past so make of that what you will :(

Oi... my honda had VTEC...

(I really didn't want to write this post as it's admitting I owned a honda :glare:)

yes , the gtr is the king! but i want something a little newer that i can drive around more. ive been dealing with sami through the email , he has two evo 7s on special at the moment. one black one with 42klms auction grade 4 and a silver one grade 4.5 with 34klms. both cars reduced from $34k to $30k, what do you guys think? i tried to negotiate a little lower but he won't budge on price. he assured me that both cars are not accident repaired and if price is all iam worried about then that is what i will end up with. because there doesnt seem to be red book or glass's guide to what these things are worth what do you guys think?

Go the grade 4.5 one.

You can drive the GTR as much as the Evo, and as I mentioned the GTR is nicer to cruise around in... although the kids are harder to put in the back haha

Why don't you look at a 34 four door...much better looking than the Evo.

Suppose though it ain't 4 wheel drive though.....

I recently looked at the Newer Stagea 03 and was impressed.....might not be your cup of tea though.

http://www.automarket.com.au/vehicle.asp?vehicleNo=224996

My suspicion is ...(due to the new shaped Evo10)...depreciation will be very fast on any old model evo.

After going through the same dillemma of wanting an AWD turbo car, I decided the EVO over an R33 GTR..the R33 is just too shapeless and old in comparison. I want it for all the negative things that were mentioned, the tight seats and driving 3 times over the speed limit :)

thanks for all of the advice guys, ive decided to buy the silver grade 4.5 evo with 34klms for $30k. my only delemma now is when i fly up to sydney which way to drive home to melbourne. boring straight 900klms of hume highway or 1200klms of twisty princess hwy??? lol!

Stock vs stock, go the Evo. But.....if you want to do basic mods go GTR for sure :D

As for the new drive home, dont push it too hard....just incase you overestimate its limits, crashing a new car would suck ass :blush:

This is a little off topic.. But its my 2c,

I drove a mates 180KW VR4 (similar basis to the earlier evos)

And dads 220kw gts-t

What I find.. is that a skyline is a drivers car.

The dash wraps around, you sit low in the car, gearstick is nice and close and high. You feel the gearbox better. Its a car designed for a driver. Everything has an essence of perfomance car. It's just a car you jump into, feel and you can tell its to be driven hard.

With the VR4 it seemed like a Magna on steriods. It's a family car. It always will be a family car. You dont have the same feel of power and superiority. The seats arnt right. The position of dials is wrong.

Pound for Poud, all the little details, a skyline screams performance car. An evo, always will be a 4 door saloon.

Keep the family happy with a Pajero, keep a smile on your face with a GTR

And this is comming from a big EVO fan..

bahahahah

comparing a vr4 to an EVO 7.

man..

I don't know where to start with a response to that.

similar basis to the earlier evos

yeh.. in that they both have the same 4g63 block.

how about gearbox and diff ratios?

how about turbo?

how about suspension?

how about Brembos?

how about S-AYC?

I've owned an RS Turbo Liberty.

Essentially the same as a 22B right?

just like your dads 220rwkw gtst is the same as the Ztune R34 GTR.

same same..

while we are comparing.. for lunch should I have a bread stick or a steak with 3 veg... both being food, it's a good comparison right?

lol , nice comparo gts-t. a few years back when i only had 280rwkw gts-t i test drove a mates vx ss 5.7litre v8 and i hated how high i was in the seat and car felt like a school bus to drice that pulled hard down low then totally breathless once you hit 5000rpm plus. i prefered how the skyline was like a go - kart . you sit in the the skyline and you sit on top of the vx ss v8. my mate drove my skyline and told me he didnt like how laggy it was , or how when it came onto boost it would hit 7000 revs too quick! made no sense to me at the time. each to there own i guess.

I forgot about seating.

Recaro buckets in the EVO compared to the lounge chairs in the VR4.

or the EVO steering wheel compared to the VR4 Bus steering wheel.

same same.

I've had a vr4 as well.

let's just say a mitsu from the 90's is not a nice vehicle to own.

But any evo from say IV up is a good thing.

6.5 up is even better.

• 4 weeks later...
thanks for all of the advice guys, ive decided to buy the silver grade 4.5 evo with 34klms for $30k. my only delemma now is when i fly up to sydney which way to drive home to melbourne. boring straight 900klms of hume highway or 1200klms of twisty princess hwy??? lol!

I heard you ended up with the EVO, Sam mentioned somthing about the EVO wouldnt start when you got to the servo, I was in a rush left getting my pink slip to the last minute...

yeah, i forgot that you had to hold the the clutch down to start the car lol! i pulled into the first servo i came across even though the car already had half a tank of gas i wanted to make sure that i made it to at least goulburn before my first fuel stop. i was fiddling around for about 5 minutes trying to work out how to start it before i rang sam. they had shown me but i was too excited about driving her home.

i highly recommend jap-link to anybody wanting an import car. i noticed quite a few great examples of gtrs as well. i couldnt believe how clean my evo was even the black one was awesome! it looked better at the car yard than on the photos. i swear my evo drives like brand new. i loved my 94 gts-t but stepping into a 2001 evo 7 was a huge step up, they are so quick straight from the factory.

definately give sam and michael a go if you are in the market for a good quality well priced import. cheers carl.