SAU Community

What Is This Hose And What Does It Do?

jUsT-dRiFt-iT

The last owner of my car has put an external wastegate on it, the smart guys have put it on so that it is in the way of a rubber pipe coming off the intercooler piping and they have just ignored that and let the piece of rubber pipe sit on the external wastegate (real smart lol) and now there is a reasonable sized hole melted in the pipe. Would somebody be able to tell me what the pipe is for and what it does. Would it be leaking boost? The guy that i bought the car off sais that ever since he put the wastegate on the car has been missing and/or boost cutting could this have anything to do with it? Thanx for any help.

img7017lf1.jpg

img7018ji0.jpg

img7019fp6.jpg

img7020zy1.jpg

img7021eb2.jpg

img7022qr0.jpg

Edited by jUsT-dRiFt-iT

that will definately be leaking. i bet the idle is all over the place, and the car probably doesnt run too good on boost.

replace the hose and wrap it in some heatshielding like that alfoil looking stuff in the background.

Thats the hose that gives the AAC valve (idle valve) air to bypass the throttle plate. Basically feeds air at idle, cuz without it no air would be able to enter the engine when the throttle is shut. Yes it will be leaking boost big time as it runs directly off your intake pipe. Replace it and i would hope most of your issues will be gone :D

Edited by Godzilla32

Oh and also about a week ago i started the car and it ran for a couple of seconds and then just died, and then when i tried to start it again it was just turning over but wouldnt start..i sat there for a while with it turning over and giving it a bit of gas and after a while it struggled and then it started again..could this hose be something to do with that?

Oh and also about a week ago i started the car and it ran for a couple of seconds and then just died, and then when i tried to start it again it was just turning over but wouldnt start..i sat there for a while with it turning over and giving it a bit of gas and after a while it struggled and then it started again..could this hose be something to do with that?

Yes it would

Oh god i just like patched up the hole in the hose and went for a drive and no miss but the boost went upto 20psi and was stil climbing! What could this be? Wastegate spring?

Edited by jUsT-dRiFt-iT

Take it to a dyno tuner to get it 100% checked out. Now that you have sealed the air leak, the wastegate will be set toooo high. Hopefully the turbo has not been damaged due the that massive hole in the hose, the poor thing would have been spinning off it's nuts to keep boost :D.

Sounds like the previous owner had no idea, get the whole driveline/tune checked, by a professional, ASAP!

And fit an alloy heat shield round that gate!