SAU Community

What Is This?

Ok, i posted up a problem with my steering wheel being turned and setting the horn off a few weeks back. I finally got around to getting the car into an Auto Elec and the problem was as one would predict. A part had broken off in the steering wheel and was shorting the horn.

Now, the part is out, the car is working as per normal but this... umm.. weight i guess is no longer in my steering and i am wondering if anyone knows what it does and if it is needed. Like i said the car seems to be driving fine and the guys at Nissan had never seen one before and suggested just keep driving it.

My guess- a weight of some sort for centering the steering?

post-19787-1193895225_thumb.jpg

post-19787-1193895242_thumb.jpg

post-19787-1193895248_thumb.jpg

jimmy- I am not sure, thats why i have posted it on here....

sshonky- Nah its not a plastic plug. Its mainly made of metal and a bit of rubber and weighs quite a bit for some thing of its size. The steering feels fine as stated in the first post. So i dont think it can be too important... Well at least i hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Chris,

There's a damper weight in the steering wheel of R33s to absorb some vibration I believe. Having them come off is apparently a reasonably common problem, can't find any of the posts on it though. I thin kit starts clicking before it comes off though. The fix is either leave it off, or glue it back on.

Justin