SAU Community

R33 GTR nismo mechanical rear LSD

33GTR

I just bought a 1996 R33 GTR with a Nismo mechanical rear LSD. Rear diff is irritating and would like to swap or sell, anyone have an idea what its worth? Will trade for stock diff and cash.

cheers

MA - do a search in the Maintance section of this forum for "diff oil for a 2 way diff".

I've got a 2 way in mine too, and after a lot of phoning around and talking to people I found a way of loosening it up a little.

2 way diffs are sensitive to the type of oil that you use.

Basically it comes down to the following;

Drain and flush out the oil in the diff the best you can.

Go into your local Nissan spare parts dealer and buy the diff additive that they use in the new Nissan Patrols to stop diff chatter - this will cost about $75 for about 300ml !!!!

Put the diff additive in and then fill up (about 1.3 lt) with LS90 grade diff oil.

It'll take about 500-1000km for it to work properly.

I found that doing this has reduced the diff chatter by about 50-60% !!

The diff still locks up if you accelrate hard, but it doesn't lock as fast as before.

The problem is that this method won't work with all 2 ways cause there are different types (rod type, clutch type etc...).

I decided to bite the bullett and try it out ($100 in oil to try it out is alot of money !!), and I'm happy with the outcome.

Now if I drive calm the diff is almost like normal, but give it a boot full and reep the benefits of a 2 way :)

Or you could just change it over to a normal diff - it's up to you.

I went the path of the oil cause I could do it myself and it was easy. Much less hassle than buying a stock one, getting it installed, and then trying to sell the 2 way.

Good luck

J

This may sound like a dumb question - but I know 2 way Nismo Mech diffs are better coz they are 2 way - but what does a 2 way do that a 1 way doesn't???

I thought the 2nd way was decelerating is that correct? And how many people decelerate under the same amount of power they accelerate with through a corner??