SAU Community

Focals up front..

hippy

i found that with my polyglass ... the tweeter is toooo high so i dont' like the sound at all .. i'm going to try and stick it next to the woofer ... if i still dont' like the sound i'm going to sell it and get something else .. maybe dls ... it was hard work getting the speakers in there :)

Turn down you're trble on your face unit then or adjust your equaliser for the high frequencies down a bit - thats basically what your split is pumping out after all.

I got my splits mounted just near my a-pillars.. some people say it should be mounted as close to the woofer as possible but i disagree. I think that one can be down to personal taste.

i've got infinity reference 3 way splits in my 33 when i first installed them i hadn't installed the mid range so i had some backing plate like the shit you get with headunits and bent in neatly over the woofer in my door and changed the crossover and they crank

If your looking at dls, just keep in mind that they are just as bright, if not brighter than the focals, they are from the same make as energy home theatre speakers. pitty you dont like the focals. i cant fault them and i have my tweeters place on the dash reflecting off the windscreen. its all personal taste i guess.

I would highly recommend the mb's to you. just make sure you dont go too low down the range, atleast get the reference series.

how much did you pay for your focals anyway?

i paid 370 for the focals ... yeah i'm lookin at either the ref or premium mb range ... i got to find a place that will let me listen to them ... most of them don't even have it but say they can get it in ...

i didn't think dls were any where are bright as these ... i think the brightness comes from what theyre made off .. titanium tweeteres i think ... i think dls had graphite or paper or something else i can't remember ...

also, does anyone else have any really high quality speakers that fit straight into the stock mounting pod?? i dont' wanna have to go to the trouble of makin them again .. it took forever :P

• 3 weeks later...

i agree with predator666.... I much prefer tweeters up high. Can't stand it down low, it's fine untill somebody including myself sits in the car. Treble is very directional, so needs a clean path to your ears. If my ears were in my knees it might sound ok.

A mates swift has 3 ways at the front, with 4" mounted on the dash and tweeters in the top of the doors. It really sounds great, especially with the speakers on the dash.

pretty east to fit, u just have 2 space the midbass driver out of the door with a space made from mdf or such. then if needed just cut away at whatever bracing plastic on the door skin fouls it and brace it up again but around speaker