SAU Community

Steering Shudder

JakesterNZ

I am having issues with my steering and transmission in my S1 RS-FOUR V and would be interested in finding out why.

The car shudders when doing slow turns such as reversing from a car park and it is super annoying. Is this a sign of a major problem? Only does this when the car has been running for a while.

I had the transmission replaced with a recon'd one due to a loss of oil presure which was causing the car to jerk off the mark as it was not engaging into gear and thought this would have fixed the shudder problem as well.

Also the POWER button flashes whenever the car is started. What does this mean? Is this a fault from when they installed the new trans?

PLEASE HELP! I will try any suggestions. Also would like to hear from anyone else experiencing this problem.

-Jake ;)

Edited by JakesterNZ

na i have left the 'S' button alone ever since i turned it on only to hear groaning sounds at low speed turns!! haha

I will try and steering and 4WD fluid flushes and see if it helps. Is this easy enough to do yourself?

I really hope the car isn't a lemon. So many problems in only 1 month of ownership. I did buy from a Dealer Importer who said the car needs a good service.

You don't have the 50/50 traction S button on do you? Mine gives weird shudders at low speed when turning with that on.

get under the car and see wheter the ATTESSA is leaking. You will see a patch of oil on the undercarriage. tighten eveything up and you will be fine. I had that problem and my tuner just tighten the bleeder nipple cos it was loose and it leaks the ATF out.

get under the car and see wheter the ATTESSA is leaking. You will see a patch of oil on the undercarriage. tighten eveything up and you will be fine. I had that problem and my tuner just tighten the bleeder nipple cos it was loose and it leaks the ATF out.

whereabouts is the bleeder nipple?

I believe my car is leaking ATTESA fluid to the left of the front diff. Its definitely leaking fluid but it doesn't appear to be leaking from anywhere up near the engine. Leaks enough to put a small 50c piece sized patch on my driveway every day...which is now turning into a 30cm patch due to parking in different spots etc.

It doesn't look like engine oil and definitely not coolant. Is fairly clear and not at all thick if I run my finger over it and look at it. Is brownish in colour but as I said, fairly see-through and doesn't smell much.

The ATTESA fluid level is still on max as it has been for the last 20+ months since I bought it (checked with car running - when the car is off it sits above max).

Any other fluids it could be?

My steering has always been clunky but not shuddering. Just feels like some things need tightening but not sure what...could be just worn rubber around the place...possibly requires a steering flush?

I have a major service booked for late Jan so it should all be sorted out then :rofl:

if its under the front dif it isn't attessa fluid - the attessa system ands at the transfer case at the back of the gearbox. :rofl:

Its probably power steering fluid that far forward. Have a look at your pump, lines and steering rack (this may explain YOUR shuddering, if the power steering fluid has air in it)

if its under the front dif it isn't attessa fluid - the attessa system ands at the transfer case at the back of the gearbox. :)

Its probably power steering fluid that far forward. Have a look at your pump, lines and steering rack (this may explain YOUR shuddering, if the power steering fluid has air in it)

I was wondering about that. I think a full power steering flush is in order. I've had a clunky feel in the steering since I bought the car. I remember reading of someone else on here with the same problem and after flushing the steering fluid it came good.

Sorry to hijack the thread... :)

Hopefully you can sort yours out as well, JakesterNZ!

:P yip, she is leaking her juices!

it seems to be dripping off the transfer case, is this a transmission or a ATTESSA leak?

that depends entirely on where abouts the fluid is coming from. Might I suggest a full underbody degrease and then another look?

Have a close look at the attessa actuator (plunger looking thingy at the very rear of the case) as it is sealed in with an o-ring. This could be a good spot to start. Also, check out the fluid line connection where it terminates at the actuator (flanged fitting) and also look at the second bleed nipple directly above it. Any of these will be atessa, anywhere else and it will probably be the transfer case itself or the trans.

I called the dealer i purchased the car from and am returning it for him to fix after the new year so will update once i discover the fault!

Hopefully nothing too majoy.

Thanks for your help on this one guys.

Merry Christmas!

that depends entirely on where abouts the fluid is coming from. Might I suggest a full underbody degrease and then another look?

Have a close look at the attessa actuator (plunger looking thingy at the very rear of the case) as it is sealed in with an o-ring. This could be a good spot to start. Also, check out the fluid line connection where it terminates at the actuator (flanged fitting) and also look at the second bleed nipple directly above it. Any of these will be atessa, anywhere else and it will probably be the transfer case itself or the trans.