SAU Community

R33 Fire Extinguisher Install

evil_weevil

For this guys who are looking to install a fire extinguiser for track days,

read ahead!

Make sure you have a CAMS approved Fire extinguisher and it is in its current date/charged etc

All you'll need is a 12mm socket to undo the bolt. And a drill to drill the hole in the metal extinguisher bracket to make the hole slightly bigger.

After doing a few searches and talking with Duncan and Sam916 - this was prob the best place we could think of, its still in reach from drivers seat while seat belted in (which is a CAMS requirement)

I have my back seat out, so I dont know how it goes with backseat in...

2174033_17_full.jpg

Thats the bolt on the passenger side of the back seat. Just get the 12mm socket, take her out!

Drill the hole (note - I cannot remember size, however best to start small and if the bolt still doesnt fit, go to a bigger drill)

2174033_19_full.jpg

You need the nozzle/top of the extinguisher facing towards the left of the car. So make sure you drill into the top hole in the metal bracket.

2174033_14_full.jpg

Tats it fitted!

Do the bolt up tight. We did it up tight and tried to budge it, sits in quite secure.

2174033_16_full.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

Chris this is exactly what I was thinking of doing for my cars with the exception that I was going to place the extinguisher behind the drivers seat as my rear passangers seat gets used.

Looks good in practice and does not involve drilling additional holes in the car - now I know what I will be doing over the Xmas break.

Have you done a track day since you've done this install?

Im sure the scrutineers prolly never check how safely your fire extinguisher is mounted in your car but i highly doubt thats exceptable.

There is to much wieght hanging on a single point of attachment. under a collision i can see the weight of that extinguisher bending the sheeeet out of those wobly alloy brackets. Worse case senario it snaps all together.

The brackets require both mouting points to be used to keep its integrity. and 2 points of attachent almost means safety if one fails.