SAU Community

Booked But Not Pulled Over?

callan

I stand corrected according to the rta there is no offence such as offensive accel or indecent accel or anything of the sort.

I would only assume since people have been done for it that it would be under a sub classification such as wreckless driving endangerment and so on.

moving speed cameras i meant attached to a highway patrol car or undercover.. so yeah its a moving camera.. so mobile radar..

and No you dont need to be stopped with this, many people have been fined this way.

And YES it is an offence if the police officer is off duty and pulls your rego to contact you.. for example the cop sees hot chicks in a car and writes down rego so he can call them the next day and runs the plates to get a contact.. obviously that is an invasion of your privacy and against the law. it is well know to be illegal.

and yes .. indecent accleration is a offence.. people have been charged with it on this forum.. I did try find it on the rta website but gave up with the huge list. if you want to prove me wrong try find it.

A HWP car does not have a "moving camera". They are fitted with radar. The stationary speed camera are fitted into station wagons. The HWP cars have radars and do NOT take pictures. They have in car video only. The officer still has to speak to you. he does not have to do it straigh away. he can come and see you later, but he still must speak to sthe owner or driver about it

As I said. if he looks up you details in relation to his duties, it does not matter whether he is working or not. Your example is one which is not a legal reason to look up details.

And yes. You are right.......indecent acceleration is not an offence........... :(

Alright so say a off duty police officer was trying to race me and then pulled my records the next day and called me.. I told him to get rooted cause he was racing me .. that illegal?

and yeah .. thats exactly what i meant about moving cameras.

Alright so say a off duty police officer was trying to race me and then pulled my records the next day and called me.. I told him to get rooted cause he was racing me .. that illegal?

and yeah .. thats exactly what i meant about moving cameras.

????????? :(

What bit. the street racing, him calling you, or you telling him to get rooted?

and.

You mean stationary cameras

no stationary cameras i refer to either radar guns or the stationary flashed ones.. with signage.

Moving cameras are attached to the highway patrol cars and can get oncoming and moving traffic, I have a hunch they can run plates by photo too.

Him calling me.. Him street racing and him telling me I was in the wrong when I clearly was not racing he was just being an ass. A police officer even told me he was not allowed to do that.

Edited by DECIM8

So if you do a runner and get away from them you get away with the offence? I don't think so.

mate you can not compare the 2, youd have the cops at your door for doing a "runner" because:

a) your failing to stop when instructed by a police officer;

b) driving dangerously and putting ur life and others in danger (cant really outrun a HWP car following the road rules and speed limits now can you?)

so seeing how the police where tailing him, and didnt pull him over more than likely means he has nothing to worry about. im sure if they wanted to fine him and had gone through all the trouble of tailing him, checking his details in their databases etc, they could have spent another couple of mins puling him over, being certain who was driving at the time, and issuing him with the fine.

just my 2 c :blink:

no stationary cameras i refer to either radar guns or the stationary flashed ones.. with signage.

Moving cameras are attached to the highway patrol cars and can get oncoming and moving traffic, I have a hunch they can run plates by photo too.

Him calling me.. Him street racing and him telling me I was in the wrong when I clearly was not racing he was just being an ass. A police officer even told me he was not allowed to do that.

HWP cars dont have moving cameras not do they have "radar" guns. They only have in car video. There is absolutely not way they will photograph you as you drive past them. You might get videoed but that is it. THEY STILL HAVE TO SPEAK TO THE DRIVER UNLESS IT IS A CAMERA DETECTED OFFENCE (Speed/redlght/toll/buslane).

("radar" guns are in fact Lidars - lasers)

And no. If he can relate the call to his duties then he can call you. Yeap (IF) he was racing you, that is wrong and it is only your perception of the event. His would be different.

i think you will find there is actually something in the road rules that says you need to get to the speed limit as fast and safe as possible.... is it my fault my car gets there faster than his HWP car

No. There is no rule that says anything like that nor will there ever be. What government or road safety committee would condone cars accelerating flat out to reach the speed limit.

i was driving down beecroft rd in '06 and decided to give it a quick squirt aroudn the bends where it goes over m2. In the corolla with cement tyres, i managed around 110 around the bends which i personally thought was a great effort. anyways, towards teh end of the bends i hit the brakes to slow down and got down to 90 when a HWP car went past, turned his lights on, and did a handbrake turn after me (looked awesome btw lol).

so i just pulled over and he told me i was video'd doing 90 in a 60 zone. Because he was spot on with the speed, i said 'cool, give me the fine, i gotta be somewhere'.

he gave me some attitude, i just grinned at him, snatched the fine off him, and then drove off.

by this time, i had clocked up 21 demerit points, so my care factor was 0 as my license was gone soon after anyway.

("radar" guns are in fact Lidars - lasers)

Nope, the radar in mobile patrol cars is just your standard radar. Lidar is only used in the hand held devices, since it has to be pointed at the car in particular (basically because it's too accurate, the beam is too narrow)

HWP cars do have radar that can be used while mobile, but since it's radar, it's only really useful if you're the only car that could possibly be detected by it (read up about how radar works). It works the same way a stationary radar would work, but adjusts the calculation based on the HWP car's speed. The officer has to select whether the radar should adjust for oncoming cars or cars heading in the same direction (because of the radar doppler effect).

Also why most of the time you see HWP cars parked on the side of the road with the officer holding a lidar gun instead.

Also why most of the time you see HWP cars parked on the side of the road with the officer holding a lidar gun instead.

I saw one heaps far away and had a couple cars infront of me at the time. So i slowed down from 70 to 60 straight away. How do you know if they got u or not? Cop didn't seem to flinch or look at me when i went past though.

If the police have the rego. number of the car then they can go to the registered owners address and place whats called a form of demand on the registered owner. This form of demand requires the registered owner to provide the drivers details of the car when it was allegedly committing the offence. The registered owner commits and offence if they fail to supply the details.

It's very handy when it comes to investigating motor vehicle collissions where the registered owner wasn't driving the car at the time of the crash. Also when people don't pay for fuel or when police, like in the mentioned scenario, have something else more important to go to.

BTW Brad, you're talking shit.

Nope, the radar in mobile patrol cars is just your standard radar. Lidar is only used in the hand held devices, since it has to be pointed at the car in particular (basically because it's too accurate, the beam is too narrow)

Whe he said radar gun, I assumed he means the "radar gun" that people refer to that they see police holding. As you said.....Lidar gun. (You also did not refer to the radar in the car as a "gun")

I saw one heaps far away and had a couple cars infront of me at the time. So i slowed down from 70 to 60 straight away. How do you know if they got u or not? Cop didn't seem to flinch or look at me when i went past though.

You get pulled over, or you get a visit from the police. They're no camera involved with the hand helds. It's basically officers discretion as to what he would do. The difference between radar and lidar is that lidar could detect your car only, whereas with radar with the cars in front of you it would be almost impossible to detect your car as a signal.

Whe he said radar gun, I assumed he means the "radar gun" that people refer to that they see police holding. As you said.....Lidar gun. (You also did not refer to the radar in the car as a "gun")

My bad on that technicality. They used to be radar guns (and for a while they used both radar and lidar), but I believe these days they only use lidar hand helds since they have less accuracy problems (though there certainly still is issues with the use of them)