SAU Community

Pull type clutch refresh - bits and bobs advice needed

Hey folks,

I'm looking at getting a new clutch and was wondering what you recommend to use for all the bits beside the actual clutch. To refresh it all whilst it's open.

Do you get OEM? Or are there better aftermarket parts?

From discussion with my mechanic this is what I'm mainly looking for:

spigot bearing
clutch fork
clutch pivot ball

flywheel
flywheel bolts
release bearing

Striked through parts already come with the kit. This is for the pull type clutch on my 260awkw C34 Stagea. I'm getting a Nismo Super Coppermix Twin Plate. I like it to be somewhat future proof and it's my daily so driveability is important.

Lots of topics on clutches on the forums but I didn't see much on the little bits around it.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, BK said:

Fire your mechanic - Pull type clutch doesn't have a pivot ball.

Nothing to upgrade or change if sticking with a pull type.

Hah, I'm pretty confident my mechanic is fine and it's me being the dumbass. Thanks for confirming!

That also explains why the various Nismo and aftermarket bits just go on the push type clutches and older 2WD models.

• Haha 1

One more question: do you have an opinion on original spigot bushing versus spigot needle bearing?

Via taarks the latter is described as "These needle bearings replace the stock brass spigot bush in the end of the crank that the gearbox input shaft goes into. The needle bearings last longer and put less stress on the gearbox and are also quieter."

Looks like in the forums people recommend the original bushing but no mention why.

Correct as above - I'm with these guys, stock spigot bush. I'd hate to have to pull a box just because a needle roller spigot decided to destroy itself. Needle roller is definitely a solution to problem that doesn't exist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone,I have a problem on GTR R34 

I purchased a spec SN26PT-2 clutch 

Push type

I reassembled the engine and gearbox

Up to here everything ok

I start the vehicle,I press the clutch and try to engage the gears

At first they didn't engage

So I went back to purging 

After that I went back to try and they fit 

The problem arose when the clutch pedal was released 

With any gear engaged, the vehicle does not move

It appears to be the neutral position

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

you didn't engage the pull fork correctly after the gearbox was reattached to the engine. pull gearboxes suck

Spot on - not to mention all the best clutches on the market are push type. The release bearing on a pull box is quite a shit thing isn't it 👎

1 hour ago, soviet_merlin said:

Manolo mentioned that his clutch is push type, and you are both mentioning pull setups. What am I missing @Duncanand @BK ? Is it because R34 GTR came with pull from factory and it's converted?

He seems to be wrong as he mentioned the clutch is a Spec SN26PT-2, which is a pull type clutch. It's also harder to convert a Getrag in a 34R to push having a concentric slave cylinder and no factory push gearbox front cover available. On a 34 Getrag you can't just go and buy the factory parts below and convert to a push setup easily like on the other RB 5 speeds that come with pull front covers.

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/gearbox-conversion-kit-pull-to-push

The only way I'm aware you cam change a Getrag to push is with the specific OS giken pull to push kit which still uses the 34 concentric slave cylinder.

• Thanks 1