SAU Community

Skylines With 20's

FAT_3L

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate

I just put 20" mags on last week. Chrome Dish mags.

I had to use a 225/30/r20 Tyre, because apparently the dude at the place said the 245/30/r20 would rub...

Fortunatly after installing them there is no rubbing, and they can turn as tight as before etc... No difference in driving.

bit of a stiffer ride but thats all.

Hope it helps mate

Daniel

20"s are only cool when they're chrome with spinning centres and plenty of neons to set the whole mobile disco ball effect off.

Everytime you stop the crowds will gather to yell woot woot!! then the party will commence.

Although Im not a fan of such huge rims on a Skyline, there is a few things to watch out for when making your choice.

When searching for tyres for my previous cars, (in 20")

I found that there were plenty of cheap tyres to suit, looking closer, the load rating which should be marked on the sidewall of all tyres somewhere, was suited to, eg: A hyundai excel. Police in my area had a field day on people, defecting them for the wrong load rating for their particular car.

Besides this check that your insurance company will allow such a modification in the event of a claim.....most wont.

Legally, at least in Victoria, we are only allowed to exceed our rolling diameter of the standard tyre and wheel package by 25mm.

And I believe wheel diameter may only grow 2" above standard.

(R33=16" Stock, therefore 18" max allowed)

Much of my information comes from local police here in Mildura. I used to work in a autobarn store and organised many cruises soley for imports in an effort to create a better scene/image, during this I worked with police to clarify legality on these issues, including wheel choice, as so many people were defected for wheel choice alone. All said I stand corrected, as police dont write the rules and rules may vary from place to place.

All considered, besides the looks point of view there isnt a lot going for 20's on a 33, but if you do go ahead with it, as mentioned in an above post, the correct ride height, shocks/or settings, and extemely skinny tyres for the diameter of the rim is required....oh, and keep your stockies in the shed.

Hope this helps....

What are you trying to achieve with 20's? Everything will be compromised, ride/handling/acceleration etc etc for what? to acheive pimp my ride phatt chrome style??

What happened to people putting alloy's on to acheive weight reduction and sporty handling!!

I've now got 20's on my car and they don't rub with 235-35 tyres. may only scrub if excessively low.

Car still handles good, but has reduced performance due to their sheer weight.

But its a show car/cruiser and i don't mind the loss of performance.. but realistically for a street car get some wide 18 or 19 inch rims.

Probably a good set of 19 inch is best of both worlds.