SAU Community

Is My Speedo Cable Broken?

My speedo doesn't work and power steering turns off after 2 mins of driving.

Can someone tell me if my speedo cable is broken, I have taken these pics that might help:

speedoendhi6.jpg

plasticbiteu7.jpg

endofcablepg7.jpg

EDIT::

I also had the problem that my car turned off, but cleaned the AFM so hopefully it doesn't confuse people about posts lol

You have to forgive lingersoul - because to turbo Skylines with AFM's, whenever these symptoms pop up - it's rithual that we all say "it's the atmospheric BOV" as the problem is way too common.

OK, now back to your car - it sounds fairly serious... I'm guess the following:

1. Get your AFM (airflow meter) checked out - could be the filters are fileld with dirt and soil preventing functionality - get it cleaned out. Or, the metal connector parts are loose - open it up and get them resoldered (20 minute job).

2. Check all your piping, hoses and clamps for anything that's unattached or loose - replug them in tightly and fastened everything nicely and it should work again nicely.

3. Next time stop putting your car on Neutral all the time at the lights - assuming your's an automatic? Man, seriously - if it's auto, it's auto stop wanting to be manual etc... doing this all the time stuffs up the gearbox... but I would also check your battery's alternator - the thing that facilitates and holds the charge. It sounds as if the bettery isn't holding well. That's what I hate about hot days, your car runs like a dog.

Good luck mate.... try to the above and tell us how you go.

Why would he be shifting into neutral if he had an auto?

The reason your speedo isn't working and that your steering is heavy is because you have broken your speedo cable. It's a common problem with R32's. You can get a new one from Nissan for around $80. It's relativly easy to install and takes a couple of hours to do. I'm sure theres's a DIY guide on here somewhere.

I think the stalling issues your having is a seperate problem all together. The most likely culprit for an NA is going to be the air flow meter so i would check that first.

if you have no speed o and no power steerig nthe cable behind the instument cluster is faulty some where along it , happened to me but i used have auto manual shounld be a problem so chekc speedo cable ;]

If the speedo is gone, the ECU may be attempting to force itself to idle while you're driving, hence, the idle valve is closing right up and stalling.

If you unplug your AAC does the car stall?

If it cheers you up, they're a piece of piss to fit. Unscrew it from the gearbox, pull the cable down. Push new cable up, screw in. 5 minute job.

where abouts on the gear box? is it near the pedals or the shift stick?

where abouts on the gear box? is it near the pedals or the shift stick?

nah, at the end of the gearbox, on the drivers side, and on the side of the box.

edit: yeah, near where the shifter goes into the box.

Edited by QWK32

If it cheers you up, they're a piece of piss to fit. Unscrew it from the gearbox, pull the cable down. Push new cable up, screw in. 5 minute job.

As mentioned, its a pretty simple job. Took us longer than 5 minutes as im not exactly mechanically minded but it is fair simple though. Just pull it out from the back and put the new one back in the same hole. Not rocket science and you would be silly to pay someone to do it :P

Must say a lot easier with two people on the case.

i just had one made up from my original cable. i sent it off to adelaide and they repaired it. cost me about $80 including postage. it arrived back in my mailbox 5 days after i posted it!

i will have to look up the name of the place for you.

in your case your odometer is also cracked at the back. the white plastic bit that sticks out the back. it might also have to be replaced. i guess this means a new cluster. but i would send the cluster and the cable to them and see what they can do.

fitting it is not that hard. all you need is a Phillips head and a 10mm spanner.

just so you know..... its that little yellow plastic piece you posted a pic of. You can clearly see its split. When it is split like that it will not grip the spindle therefore not spinning the gears in speedo cluster,, therefor no speedo. You could have bought a can of lectraclean or co contact cleaner and cleaned it from grease, $2 tube superglue and reglue it, then regrease it and then reinstall. Alot cheaper and no speedo cable replacement.