SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

It sounds like you were trying to pick a fight GTST, you definitely took what he said the wrong way - it was quite valid for its intended purpose. There's no need to get so angry about it either, I mean it was directed at me and even though it wasn't really applicable to my situation (as I explained later), do you see me spraying him over it? Ease off the juice man...

Why would a noob or a person with an injury (or recovering from an injury) need to do front raises?

what does this achieve?

nothing.

it's an exercise which does NOT build muscle or strength or have any positive effect on recovery/rehab.

It might be used by some pro in a video he puts out or prior to his contest.

Birds - I'm not trying to pick a fight.

I'm trying to stop people giving shit advice.

Why would a noob or a person with an injury (or recovering from an injury) need to do front raises?

what does this achieve?

nothing.

it's an exercise which does NOT build muscle or strength or have any positive effect on recovery/rehab.

It might be used by some pro in a video he puts out or prior to his contest.

Birds - I'm not trying to pick a fight.

I'm trying to stop people giving shit advice.

Sounds to me like you're the only one peddling shit advice here.

A perfect example of injury is a damaged rotator cuff, a person may look to strengthen all muscle around the shoulder to prevent further injury - like myself

A noob who is looking to improve shoulder muscle may incorporate it along with other shoulder exercises like Lat raises, dubbell shoulder press etc etc.

front-raises.jpg

For rehab and n00bs, light weights will make you stronger.

You won't be strong in the relative sense of the word (i.e you will still be considered weak), but you will get stronger than you were before.

If you are fit and healthy, the general rule is, go heavy compounds for size and strength. I think we can all agree on that one.

the delts are a circular group of muscles... front, side and rear... to properly work them and get good defination for a physique comp... you need to attend to those areas...

now lets put in a real world situation... ehhh... your helping your mate move... you bend down... pick up a box... carry it out to the truck... extend your arms and place it on the tray which is at chest height.... now youve just effectively used your front delts through that entire process... you havent had to press the box over your head... you havent had to push the box away from your chest...

so why are front delt raises so bad?? we need strong delts to help us do normal things in life... like lift a coffee cup... pick things up.. etc etc..

For rehab and n00bs, light weights will make you stronger.

You won't be strong in the relative sense of the word (i.e you will still be considered weak), but you will get stronger than you were before.

If you are fit and healthy, the general rule is, go heavy compounds for size and strength. I think we can all agree on that one.

Agreed.

Hey guys,

im looking to put on some more size so ive worked out my new diet and split routines etc

Just wondering on how "heavy" to go for each set?

I was planning on the whole 1rep max method eg 1rep max 100kg bench will equate to me doing:

1 warmup set of 10 reps @50kg

1 semi work set of 8 reps @60kg

1 work set of 8 reps @70kg

1 work set of 8 reps @80kg

Providing i can do these with perfect form etc is this effective or should i be warming up/working heavier?

Hey guys,

im looking to put on some more size so ive worked out my new diet and split routines etc

I was planning on the whole 1rep max method eg 1rep max 100kg bench will equate to me doing:

Providing i can do these with perfect form etc is this effective or should i be warming up/working heavier?

You want to go as heavy as you can while maintaining good form until your final rep of the last set for the desired rep range. A good balance between size and strength gains will lie between 5-10 reps so for size id be sticking between 6-8 reps per set but once again everyone reacts differently.

If my working set for flat bench was 80 id be doing

wu

40x10

50x5

60x5

70x3

75x1

working

80x6-8 x3

adding 2.5kg to the working set each week and adjusting the wu's appropriately as your working sets get heavier

youve gotta do the right workout for your body type... when you ask such a broad question.. you can consider the answers given, but dont use them as gospel as everyone is different..

some people work better with drop sets (start heavy and back off the weight, keeping the same rep range), some people work better going up in weight... some people can do 10 working sets... some people only need 2 working sets... etc. etc.

if you're a hard gainer.. doing lots of sets and lots of reps is going to make you go backwards..

basic rule is if you cannot lift the same or more in a movement as you did last workout... your body has not had time to recuperate. (spell check?).. so go back to bed... chow down some food, repair yourself, leave that body part until its all good.. otherwise your just doing more damage.. unless your going for a bodybuilding style month on month off workout... where they work one body part per month.. but these guys repair themselves 5 times quicker than a normal human person.

It's probably not a bad idea to get at least one session with a qualified PT who knows what he's doing. I consider it pretty essential that you find out what muscular imbalances you have (i.e. weaknesses) so you can focus on those parts, before going headlong into trying to gain tons of mass without knowing if your technique is correct or if you're pushing too hard on a particular group or neglecting another. You'll end up injuring yourself in the short term through improper technique, or longer term through worsening imbalances.

A PT can also watch what you're doing from a 1st person perspective whereas we can only give you whatever experience we have in writing. You don't need to continue with multiple sessions / wk etc, just one or two to begin with, so he can monitor what you're doing and give you advice / programs for what you should be focusing on in the immediate term.

For example I'm aware that I need to focus more on my back (lats, rear delts, etc) and core with less emphasis on my chest, as I have traditionally focused too much on the chest when I was younger.

Hey guys,

since this highlighted part is what will put on the size, tell us what it is.

how tall are you?

what do you weigh?

and what does this diet consist of?

I'm with the people who say don't take the advice here as gospel, and don't ask for a designer workout plan...I mean, we don't even know if you're doing the exercises properly for starters...

Everyone is different, too many variables involved even if we asked all the right questions. Find a body type you like and adopt what that person is doing / get them to teach you how they do it. And do this with the knowledge that you will get to look similar, but not exactly the same as them because of all the variables involved.

Im around 5'7",

Started off at a scrawny 65kg and currently weigh 72kg with little fat but nothing major.

Ive spread my diet over 6 meals for a total of 2,484 cals and using the 40/40/20 ratio total 211gm protein, 239gm carbs and 65gm fat. All this comes from lean meats, complex carbs and protein shake.

ok.

in short

with your goals being to get bigger..

1.) 2400 calories is not enough

2.) your PCF breakdown is all wrong. you have WAY too many carbs, nowhere near enough fats and protein should be about 100g more per day at least.

who created that diet structure for you?

ok.

in short

with your goals being to get bigger..

1.) 2400 calories is not enough

2.) your PCF breakdown is all wrong. you have WAY too many carbs, nowhere near enough fats and protein should be about 100g more per day at least.

who created that diet structure for you?

err..i agree the total caloric intake is lower than it should be but 40/40/20 pcf is fine as macronutrient breakdown, its nothing new

err..i agree the total caloric intake is lower than it should be but 40/40/20 pcf is fine as macronutrient breakdown, its nothing new

this. a lot of people follow a 40/40/20 split. you can easily gain muscle with this..

also to YDURTY4, perhaps lift your calories to 3000 or so. if you start gaining too much fat lower it

Edited by gersfan

Yea might have to,

i'll stick to this for roughly 8 weeks and assess the results then. Been lifting for 2yrs now and i understand the whole slow and steady wins the race concept as opposed to those who use gear, apparently having great "genes"