SAU Community

Tein Suspension

hey

my 32 gtr has tein coilovers in it

but they are so stiff that driving on the road you feel like the car shakes if you go over a bottle cap :huh:

so was wondering if to soften them i turn the damper adjuster clockwise or anti clockwise

and also how do i get to the ones in the rear ???

thanks in advance

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its really stiff you probably have the imported "Jap" TEIN's or the more track focused ones, the super streets are quite comfortable.

Your problem wont go away by adjusting the shocks, Im pretty sure it will be stiff because the spring rates are really heavy.

i believe swapping springs wont to much for you...maybe damage the shocks more because they are valved to a particular spring rate. i think the money spent on new springs and fitment, you could buy sk's setup or something else thats built for the streets and recoupe some of the costs in selling the teins.

anyone have any options for me

I have Type Flex on my 34 and they are firm without being overly so. I had Fulcrum change the springs for to a softer set and made a huge difference. Original ones made the car like a go kart to drive. They shifted rear spings (softer than front) to front and put a softer set on the rear to maintain the balance front to rear. Only other thing to do is to have them re-valved to allow a higher by-pass rate. You can generally get by with a 1-2 kg +/- in adjustments.

cheers

Muz

Edited by Muz

yeah i though similar, cos with the softer spring you could probs bottom out the shock if it was low

either way im thinking i may sell these and get a different suspension set up

anyone know whats got a good ride but can still look tough, if its not a stupid question

Over 150 Skylines with the Group Buy kits dissagree with you.

Cheers

Gary

Is that because they don't know any better??

I find it really hard to believe that all these '150 skylines' have tried the Aus spec super streets and changed to the Bilsteins because they were better...

Is that because they don't know any better??

I find it really hard to believe that all these '150 skylines' have tried the Aus spec super streets and changed to the Bilsteins because they were better...

I certainly know better and I have tried many sets of Teins in many cars. In fact one of our team race cars (not a Skyline) has a set of N1 Teins in it for the Bathurst 12 Hour. In some cars they work, and in others they don't. I have changed 8 Nissans so far (not all Skylines) over from Teins to Bilsteins and all of them have recorded faster laps times. For example a 225 rwkw200SX road car, Wakefield Park, 1.06 using Bilsteins down from 1.09 using Teins. At the same time they have better ride comfort and don't require intimate knowledge of damper adjustment effects.

Anytime you want to try a back to back test let me know.

Cheers

Gary

I certainly know better and I have tried many sets of Teins in many cars. In fact one of our team race cars (not a Skyline) has a set of N1 Teins in it for the Bathurst 12 Hour. In some cars they work, and in others they don't. I have changed 8 Nissans so far (not all Skylines) over from Teins to Bilsteins and all of them have recorded faster laps times. For example a 225 rwkw200SX road car, Wakefield Park, 1.06 using Bilsteins down from 1.09 using Teins. At the same time they have better ride comfort and don't require intimate knowledge of damper adjustment effects.

Anytime you want to try a back to back test let me know.

Cheers

Gary

Wakefield used to be very bumpy apparently, so I'm not surprised a softer setup might have worked better there. But where they group buy spec Billies? The ones I've seen ont he track look awful soft! Who knows, he might have made the same, or better improvement going to Aus spec Teins, or even Jap spec Super Streets. There's alot of different Teins out there, to just lump them all in one basket as crap is wrong.

for example an R34 with off the shelf Aus spec teins with no development time finished 10th or 11th outright in Targa Tasmania. Not a place where poor quality shocks, or stuff that's too stiff, are ever going to work.

I've got Jap spec super streets in my current road car (not a Skyline) and comfortably drove 1180km to Wakefield Park last weekend and got 5th outright in the wet afternoon session on that track I've never been to before, with only AWD cars in front of me, and plenty behind me too. (I was in a rwd turbo car, standard apart from Teins and exhaust)

Point is there's all sorts of Teins, and some of them work very well. From my experience with Tein Super Streets, and knowing the bloke who developed the Aus spec Teins up here in Brisbane, I woldn't hesitate to recommend Aus Spec Teins.

Wakefield used to be very bumpy apparently, so I'm not surprised a softer setup might have worked better there.

Same result at Philip Island., 1.5 seconds faster there

But where they group buy spec Billies?

Yes, with my normal valving specs, they did have my usual coil over conversion with Eibach coils

The ones I've seen ont he track look awful soft!

They shouldn't be using shocks to control roll anyway, that's the swaybar's job.

Who knows, he might have made the same, or better improvement going to Aus spec Teins, or even Jap spec Super Streets.

They had been back to Fulcrums 6 times for improvement, with 8 spring rates tried.

There's alot of different Teins out there, to just lump them all in one basket as crap is wrong.

Obviously Harry, you and I can tell the difference and have enough knowledge and experience to determine what works and what doesn't. We know which way to adjust them to achieve the desired result etc etc. But how many people of SAU have that sort of experience and knowledge? They would be much better off with a package that is a simple bolt on, knowing that it can do the job, day in day out circuit, drag or road.

for example an R34 with off the shelf Aus spec teins with no development time finished 10th or 11th outright in Targa Tasmania.

I bet 7 or 8 of the cars in front of it had Bilsteins or Boge (Sachs), from memory

2 x STis, they come standard with Bilsteins

5 x Porsches of various models, 2 I know of with Bilsteins and 1 with quad adjustable Sach, the rest with Cup style Sach.

Rick ran his usual preference of Proflex, which he is also using at the 24 Hours of Spa

I don't know what shocks the Lambo had in it, Koni I think

Stokel changed the Mini from Sach (2006) to Ohlins (2007) from memory

That about covers the Top 10.

Not a place where poor quality shocks, or stuff that's too stiff, are ever going to work.

Maybe he would have finished higher up with a better choice, who knows.

I've got Jap spec super streets in my current road car (not a Skyline) and comfortably drove 1180km to Wakefield Park last weekend and got 5th outright in the wet afternoon session on that track I've never been to before, with only AWD cars in front of me, and plenty behind me too. (I was in a rwd turbo car, standard apart from Teins and exhaust)

But Harry, you can drive, which as we all know is a big factor in the wet. Plus the super streets in your car are not the same as the super streets in Skylines, so any comparison is meaningless.

Point is there's all sorts of Teins, and some of them work very well. From my experience with Tein Super Streets, and knowing the bloke who developed the Aus spec Teins up here in Brisbane, I woldn't hesitate to recommend Aus Spec Teins.

We get good results from the Teins we use as well, but not in Skylines. Keeping in mind that the ones we use cost about 5 times what Super Streets do, as we both know sophistication in shock valving costs, you get what you pay for.

Cheers

Gary