SAU Community

Mystery Switch Leads To Ecu

hojak

Hi guys,

Upon putting my ecu on diagnostic mode found a mystery switch that leads to the ecu. Thought it might be a diagnostic mode switch, wasn't that, no noticeable changes while driving and turning switch on/off. Sure is a mystery. Also when i imported the car, as far as i knew it had a stock ecu. Now the ecu looks stock but it has "Intec Racing Tech" on it. I tried googling up it but didn't find anything in terms of 'Intec racing ecus'....weird...prolly just sticker. Anyways back to original topic (haha...i hijacked my own original post topic), anyone able to shine a light on this mystery switch? - Thanks!

ecu1.jpg

ecu2.jpg

ecu3.jpg

Edited by hojak

well...that is a standard computer (or once was) but looks like its been chipped. Are you brave enough to open it and show us where the wires go?

haha NO!!!!!~~~ Nah i'll prolly get to it sometime this week (if it stops raining). Do i need to be warned about anything from unplugging the ecu for a sort/long period of time (like a day)? Like will i lose my current tune, need to reset anything, stuff like that?

My brother has a switch on his stock 32 GTR computer that disables the rev limiter. You would need to open it up to see where it goes to, to work it out.

Ahhh...interesting...not that i want to disable the rev limiter....well...not like i ever hit the rev limiter...but still..interesting.

hi guys, happy chinese new year for all who celebrates! Anyways...the rain has been good to me today and spared me one day without rain...not that i dislike rain...i just don't like rain while im tryin to work on the cars. So I opened up the ecu and found where the 'mystery switch' leads to. So have a look-see and let me know whut u know/think. Thanks guys.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Try - http://www.intecracing.com/

There's a contact page, you could try dropping them an email and see if the're interested in helping you out..? Not sure if this is the right place, bet definitely looks like they do ecu chipping, though Nissan not mentioned.

I found a reference to some other guy on a WRX forum with the same 3 wire switch that didn't seem to do much and an Intec sticker. Sounds like you're not alone.

So i got an email back from Intec Racing. They said they haven't chipped it? So back to square one. Anyone able to shine a light on this chip...haha no longer mystery switch, it's a mystery chip! Tried lookin at workshop manuals to no avail... :whistling: ...makes me sad. haha

That chip is the ECU rom and looks likes it been replaced, its slightly different to mine. Looks like its to disable the speed cut. But the only way to find out is to try it :D lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Sorry I'm late but i might be able to shed some light on this topic!

I'm building a Onevia, having owned my Silvia for a while, and a 4door R32 as well (hense why I'm a member here!)  As time passed, i thought the old natro Silvia needed a rebuild, and when I sold the R32 I also got a 180SX donor car as a part of the deal. The car was written off, but the front end was good, so the panels and black-top SR20DET /gearbox /ecu and loom etc, was all intact. The car was only in the country for two weeks before being hit by the Kia, so nothing had changed from when it came into the country to when it got to me.

Having been stripping it apart, i found a switch hidden in among the wiring at the back of the dash. Having traced the wires back to the ECU i found this;

27-02-08_1130.jpg

I'm a parts interpreter, and i've seen ecu's before - standard and aftermarket, but not one with a switch hanging out the side of it hahaha. Once the motor goes in, I'll take it to by brother in law's work and plonk it on the dyno, maybe we'll find out if it's rev/speed cut removal or something else :laugh:

Dont mean to hijack, just stoked to find out i'm not the only one scratching thier head hahahha

If you can get a wiring diagram for the ecu and figure out which pin does what for that chip then it might give you some idea of what it does

I've got a chipped ecu and i'd take a stab at it being used to run 2 maps

Actually PM Cef11e and he might be able to tell you coz he did my tune and also knows how to run 2 maps using a switch

well its an SPDT switch, and the white wire seems to go to a common ground, while the other two I'd guess go to power for 2 different chips with two different maps. throwing the switch selects which chip the ECU uses.

also try these guys:

http://www.in-tec.jp