SAU Community

Mountain Bike In To Skyline

hey i was on the road today and saw a lady with a "strap on" bicycle rack on her boot on her merc with what else but a mountain bike. it was a bracket thingy with padding that looked liked it was secured by straps going into the boot. looked pretty stable on the free way.

come to think of it it kinda looked like one of those abfex thingys.

lol... I hope you didn't step on any rakes when you got there..

I'll see if I can find any info and pics.

when I'm at work tomorrow, I'll go to google images and type in "STRAP ON" see if anything comes up.

thanks for the tip

Edited by GTST

Stagea - there is no way I want to own a car that makes a R33 GTR look like a light car.

not to mention the pure uglyness of those things.

apart from the engine, Stag are just not for me.

Skydragon - we've already come to that conclusion.

I didn't want to have a towbar fitted to a skyline to attach the bike rack to it but it seems like I may have to.

Unless I can find this "STRAPON" that Mr Fanny is referring to.

Most good bike shops would be able to prescribe you a rack to suit your application.

Send a PM to mad082 (you'll find him in The Wasteland) as he owns a bike shop in Gympie and he would be able to suggest a solution for you. :banana:

Most good bike shops would be able to prescribe you a rack to suit your application.

Send a PM to mad082 (you'll find him in The Wasteland) as he owns a bike shop in Gympie and he would be able to suggest a solution for you. :D

oh gees.. I don't want to speak to that poof!! ;)

well in that case i won't help you out, LOL

ok, i can get the racks that go onto your boot, as well as the ones that go on the tow bar. but a 26" should go easilly in the back seat with the front wheel off. i can get one in a pulsar. you just have the rear wheel on the seat and the forks sitting on the floor.

the racks that i can get are

http://www.bicorp.com.au/ProdView.aspx?Product=BCBF which is about $80-$90 depending on the shop and how much they want to rip you off

and http://www.bicorp.com.au/ProdView.aspx?Product=YT8048 which is around $110+ (again depends on the shop).

i can get 1 other one but i don't have a price or picture. it is similar to the second one.

since you are in brissy, if you are over mt gravatt or acacia ridge way, go and see the boys at flashing pedals. they are mates of mine (well the guys that own it are). i just rang and spoke to 1 of them, he wasn't in the shop at the time but he thinks they have 1 in stock of the more expensive ones. he wasn't sure on a price though.

the more expensive one is better as it has the clips to hold your bike on with rather than having it loose and having to try and tie it to something.

yeh I was trying to work out how the first one held the bike in place.

second one looks the goods.

a standard big w tow bar bike rack costs about $80 so even at $110 or about there, it is a good deal.

especially considering a towbar that looks professional and is removable will cost a couple of hundred to start with.

thanks mate.

I'll contact you again when the time is right.