SAU Community

Rate Your Tune.

Bullet32

I think that its time that we had a tuning shop recomendation / results thread where people can ask about other Skyliners experiences with Dyno / street tunes and how happy or unhappy they are with the work done.

I have personally had 2 full dyno tunes done on my RB25DET + A'Pexi Power FC by Autotech in Fyshwick - Pete has always been very helpful and informative and the first tune that he did was great - No knocks, good AFR's and smooth power delivery. Pete does like to tune RB's a little rich though (11.5:1 - 11.7:1).

I would give my first tune an overall rating of 8 out of 10.

The second tune was done by Ed at Autotech and he was very helpful and aproachable also and he tuned the engine for great torque and mid range power (see picture) - however I wasnt really happy with this tune because a few days after the engine started knocking.

In his defense Im pretty sure that I had a partially blocked exhaust system when he tuned it. = 5 / 10

I have now booked in with John at Trojan motorsports for my third (and hopefully final tune) and Im hoping that there is someone here who has had their tune done by John and what the result was?

post-17958-1202779322_thumb.jpg

Ed at Integra 9/10 Spot on tune, 240 rwkw

Ed at Integra 5/10 Messed up and added 5 degrees to my cam wheel [should have been zero] after installing tomei cams 225rwkw

UAS 5/10 Charged too much, I felt dirty and used, and I've got knock levels of 120+, I don't want to go back to them though, so will get it fixed by Ed probably

I've only ever had Ed at Autotech tune mine so can't compare to anyone else. RB25 with power FC, stock turbo 200kw

First tune had a few issues with knock but i took it back and after that it's run very nicely.

I don't know a huge amount when it comes to the mechanical side of cars so i appreciate that Ed always talks to me on my level and doesn't feed me jargon.

@ Ed: I wouldn't exactly call a partly blocked system 'in his defense'... he should have seen it and fixed it when it came up short of power or was misbehaving.

Bullet, talk to race_snooze if you haven't already. He had good work done.

John will be installing my new turbo and all the surrounding bits hopefully in the next coupla weeks.

How much are you willing to spend???? 3.1L stroker kit plus some big f**k off turbos I am sure it can be done!!! lol...

I might start investing in a loto ticket... LoL.

would love that kind of money to spend on an engine.

The second tune was done by Ed at Autotech and he was very helpful and aproachable also and he tuned the engine for great torque and mid range power (see picture) - however I wasnt really happy with this tune because a few days after the engine started knocking. In his defense Im pretty sure that I had a partially blocked exhaust system when he tuned it. = 5 / 10

@ Ed: I wouldn't exactly call a partly blocked system 'in his defense'... he should have seen it and fixed it when it came up short of power or was misbehaving.

The tune itself was reported to be very good initially ie not short of power or misbehaving. The problem arose after the tune. Sorry but I don't see why you don't think the tuner should have seen a problem that wasn't there when he tuned it.

Edited by Scooby

I would stick with someone who has a dyno and has had lots of experience on it. To my knowledge trojan don't have one and street tunes are ok for basic tunes but if you want it to be reliable and spot on then you need to dyno and then finish the tune on the street.

There is no way you can tune for all conditions on the street as you cant go doing a 100 runs of 200km's plus as you won't keep your license long.

If you want the best tune then you will have to pay they don't come cheap.Ed does a good job for what you pay but if you want the best then you are going to have to travel to sydney and go to croydon,Unigroup engineering or hitman. All these workshops are well equiped and have some of the toughest and best tuned cars around.

Look for someone who can prove their worth by showing what cars they have that actually make the power without fowling plugs or using copious amounts of fuel.

My car makes over 700hp at the wheels yet still gets over 430km's to a tank(heavy footed too)and doesn't fowl plugs or leave black stains over the back,similar stories for croydon tune cars such as JUN and TUFGTR and as for hitman he is where everyone takes their car to have a tune to pass emissions.

These won't come cheap though at a start off of $700 upwards, but hey what price do you put on fuel economy and safe tunes.

As for a 2000rwhp gtr engine no one in the world has come close with a figure of 1380hp at the flywheel being the highest so i don't think anyone in the near future will make this sort of power from a 2.6 or 3.1 without making it a total dyno queen like so many autosalon cars are. Eg all these cars are tuned for some sort of race fuel and all the top ones use a big shot of nitrous to spin the huge turbo's they have to make the power as if they don't they never hit full boost and 90% of them only have a power band of between 1000 to 2000 revs(no good for anything but dyno comps)

My car makes over 700hp at the wheels yet still gets over 430km's to a tank(heavy footed too)

As for a 2000rwhp gtr engine no one in the world has come close with a figure of 1380hp at the flywheel being the highest so i don't think anyone in the near future will make this sort of power from a 2.6 or 3.1 without making it a total dyno queen like so many autosalon cars are. Eg all these cars are tuned for some sort of race fuel and all the top ones use a big shot of nitrous to spin the huge turbo's they have to make the power as if they don't they never hit full boost and 90% of them only have a power band of between 1000 to 2000 revs(no good for anything but dyno comps)

I find that hard to believe unless she is laggy as, no torque low in the rev range.

What about Croydons - GTR 700.

Edited by SLY SKY

I would stick with someone who has a dyno and has had lots of experience on it. To my knowledge trojan don't have one and street tunes are ok for basic tunes but if you want it to be reliable and spot on then you need to dyno and then finish the tune on the street.

There is no way you can tune for all conditions on the street as you cant go doing a 100 runs of 200km's plus as you won't keep your license long.

Last time I was talking to John about tuning cars he said he hires a dyno to do them.

John at Trojan has tuned some serious Skylines in the past, I have personaly seen the work that they have done in action (on the dyno) and I was very impressed... I have discussed at length what I want from the car with John and he sounds very confident.

John does hire a dyno to do his tuning and he has tuned multiple Skylines (that I know of) so Im pretty happy to give him a go. I'll be sure to keep everyone informed as to the result.

When I said that the second tune that Ed did on mine was pretty ordinary, it was because there was a problem with the exhaust, I since found out that it was almost completely blocked, so I have replaced it and Im pretty confident that it has solved the problem.

BNR32t - 2 out of 10 for who?

The second tune was done by Ed at Autotech and he was very helpful and aproachable also and he tuned the engine for great torque and mid range power (see picture) - however I wasnt really happy with this tune because a few days after the engine started knocking. In his defense Im pretty sure that I had a partially blocked exhaust system when he tuned it. = 5 / 10

The tune itself was reported to be very good initially ie not short of power or misbehaving. The problem arose after the tune. Sorry but I don't see why you don't think the tuner should have seen a problem that wasn't there when he tuned it.

Ummm, you answered yourself:

In his defense I'm pretty sure that I had a partially blocked exhaust system when he tuned it

If the blockage showed up AFTER the fact then fine, but if there's a major blockage while tuning, I reckon it should have been noticed.

I find that hard to believe unless she is laggy as, no torque low in the rev range.

What about Croydons - GTR 700.

Of course its laggy it comes on hard at 5000 what i am saying is that if your car is tuned properly it is possible.

As for gtr700 it only makes 1350hp flywheel no where near 2000hpat the wheels

Getting back on topic (rather than the usual arguing), after my tune it felt like a totally different car.

The 260rwkw feels great and i now get 500km from a tank. I do have to go back for a few tweaks which will probably bring the peak power down a bit, but i am more interested in useable power.

It will be good to see how the car performs on another dyno just to see if there is any difference. Yes i know the specific power will probably be different, but i am looking at the A:F and power curve.

Of course its laggy it comes on hard at 5000 what i am saying is that if your car is tuned properly it is possible.

As for gtr700 it only makes 1350hp flywheel no where near 2000hpat the wheels

Fair enough, but I think you'll find that it makes at the very least 1,350hp at the wheels, with still more to go.

Anyway's you should bring the beast to the dyno day I'm sure we would all be interested in seeing and hearing how she goes.